"Clean" Warfare, the art of Cruise missiles

Cruise Missles are fun. I use them to take down heavily defended towns and in conjunction with Marines' assaulting coastal cities.

i built 1 cruise missle, and it got hijacked by a Longbowman when i was taking it to its destination. After that, i used the editor and gave Cruise Missles more range and flagged them as "Treat all terrain as roads."
________
Strawberry Cough Pictures

CMs are inexpensive and can kill injured units from a single shot. After you have blasted your enemy's city to Stone Age with Artillery and planes, you just have to storm bombard them with CMs and land paratroopers after garrison is destroyed.

I have generally found cruise missiles and artillery in general to be a complete waste of time. I have found that a massive stack of tanks will do what artillery can is half the time. I get bored as all hell clicking through ordering 40 rocket launchers to bombard a city, especially when 35 of them miss their target, very frustrating and boring indeed. Bombers are far more useful that any sort of artillery, although not necessarily more acurate. Is there a way to increase the odds of a bombardment? Also, anyone else have troulbe getting the "automate bombing" button to work? I get so bored ordering hundreds of bombers and artillery to attackt the same cities turn after turn.
Cheers,
Maples45

I've been playing at Monarch level lately and winning, but I still haven't ever checked out cruise missiles, so I have some questions.

- CMs aren't like bombarding? They will actually kill units?

- CMs aren't like bombarding? They only hit other military units, not city improvements or citizens?

- How effective are they? CM vs tank against infantry? CM vs modern armor vs mechanized infantry?

- Can you use them against naval units?

You can use them against naval units. In fact that's the real use of them - any idiotic ship bombarding you, you can hit them out with a couple of cruise missiles.

I've found that they're only really effective against industrial units, like riflemen or infantry. Mechanized Infantry and Modern Armor are too strong to get knocked out by a cruise missile in one shot. More like three missiles, which isn't worth it.

No they don't hit citizens or improvements. That's the beauty of it. You can launch missiles at a city and not worry about destroying a building or killing a citizen. But if you've killed all the defending units, you can destroy improvements.

Yes, they're lethal bombardment - they can kill units. You can kill industrial age units in one shot often. A ship will get destroyed by a few cruise missiles.

Hope that helps.

I don't use cruise missiles much. They are usually too hard to move around my empire (if I have multi islands).

I did use one in the current GOTM (no real spoiler here). I had a barbarian galley redlined and wandering in an inland sea for about 1000 years. I didn't want a ship in that sea, so I finally built a cruise missile just to put it out of its misery. :)

Now that's what they are there for. To get rid of things that annoy you.

Cruise Missiles are great for modern warfare, and I would argue essential.

MI and CM stacks can take the most heavily defended of cities with ease while not taking a single casualty which in my opinion makes them a better option to MA which can be stopped by even infantry in a well defended city. No casualties = no war weariness! (Or at least as far as I can tell.) Sure this is a bit slower, you are limited to only moving two squares (or perhaps one, I cannot remember if I uped thier movement when I did so to the Radar Artillery in my game) so each stack is restricted to one city per turn, but I think the benifits are definetly worth it.

Assuming a stack takes on average two cities every three turns I'd say you'd only need four cities making a CM per turn per stack. Multiply that by about four or five stacks for about 16-20 cities making just cruise missiles. Not very hard to do.

In a city, trying to strike with cruise missiles is even worse, because of the defense they get. The stats on cruise missiles were upped a fair bit when I was playing with them (ArtilleryMod) and if I was lucky I was able to take out a mechanized infantry in a metropolis with three missiles.

Well that seems odd, as I can generally seem to do it with about 2-3 unmodded as far as I can recall... it's been a while since I've had a modern age war though...

Generally I can take a veteran mechanized infantry unit with no more than 4 cruise missiles undmodded--often 3.

While in a metropolis on say grasslands, a fortified mechanized infantry unit has a total defense of 42.3 I believe, and a cruise missiles has 16 attack with 3 tries effectively giving it 48 attack.

Originally posted by Lord Beverage
Cruise Missiles are great for modern warfare, and I would argue essential.

MI and CM stacks can take the most heavily defended of cities with ease while not taking a single casualty which in my opinion makes them a better option to MA which can be stopped by even infantry in a well defended city. No casualties = no war weariness! (Or at least as far as I can tell.) Sure this is a bit slower, you are limited to only moving two squares (or perhaps one, I cannot remember if I uped thier movement when I did so to the Radar Artillery in my game) so each stack is restricted to one city per turn, but I think the benifits are definetly worth it.

Aren't cruise missles used up in an attack? I thought they were always destroyed in the attack process, but it's been ages since I have used one (maybe CIV II :rolleyes: )

Cruise missiles are used up in an attack.

Arty/cruise missiles are excellent defense against AI transports. I usually ferry a few to my island cities, as the AI is fond of trying to hit those. When teh destroyer/transport comes around, I redline with arty, sink with cruise missle, thereby saving me the hassle of dealing with a transport full of invaders.

Later!

--The Clown to the Left

Well I've found out a lot from this thread. I feel like loading that saved game I never finished while at war with the french.

I've never been a CM user

I rarely get to the modern ages but when I do the main use of the Cruise missiles is to sink AI warships. I first weaken them with arty, then sink them with one cruise missile. Other than that I don't really use them even if I build and stockpile them in low shield cities.

Originally posted by immortal_empire
You should be able to load them into ships toget them closer to the enemy and also a range of TWO!!! If a cruise missile can't go from the South to the North of Britain on a single fuel tank then I'll eat my hat. Can't they hit the opposite side of the world in half an hour or something?

No my friend. Cruise missiles fly at a speed of aprox. 2000 kmph, and have a range of aprox. 1000-2000 kilometers.

Cruise Missiles SUCK. Why bother with something that has bombardement range 2? Every bomber now has lethal sea bombardment, and the range of 2 prevents any use of them as anti-ship weapons mostly. And well, if you need to walk (urks) them on land, you can use artillery, not wasted but however destroys infrastructure and people, too.

For me, a COMPLETE waste of shields. They should have greater range, then they would be more interesting. And they should be loadable on certain ship types.

Curious: did you bother reading the whole article? Or did you read the title then skim a bit before responding? Either way, this was written for PTW and not Conquests, so despite that cruise missiles have a range of 4 in conquests their lethal bombard isn't special with bombers being far far better.

I guess you are referring to me: Yes, I read your article.

I see no point in using Cruise Missiles in C3C or PTW either.

They are the perfect unit of demonstrating shortcomings of the movement system:

You cannot let them fly over water e.g. They need to be transported an then they are launched.

Cruise Missles should ... "cruise". Hence the name. :p

But you need to bring them close to the front and then launch them. You cannot fire them more than 2 or 4, whatever you play, hexes away from the target.

4 hexes is better, it allows CMs in coastal cities to attack enemy ships. That increased their usefulness.

But for destroying land units -> quite costly. You lose shields, your opponents loses more.

OK, your choice. But can't bombers and artillery do better. I think CM can shine sometimes, but in general?

Top Bottom