• Yes!

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • it's OK

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • it's too complex

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Yes, but I would change some things (Please tell me more about them in the Comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Zegangani

King
This is my Concept of a Client-States Game Mechanism for Civilization VI and is part of my 4Xpansion Pass Project and will be introduced in the 1st Pack of the Series. Therefore, this Mechanism is designed specifically to be modded for Civ6, which means it is designed around the modding possibilities and limitations of the Game.

Client-State is the general term for the 3 Client-State Types: Tributary-States, Vassal-States and Puppet-States.

To make the Client-States Mechanism an interesting Gameplay Feature during the whole Game, I divided them into different types that unlock at different Times, and each one different from the other with benefits based on Situations and Goals (of the Master), and each with its own Advantages and Disadvantages.

Although the Concept is more or less finished, there is still Room left for improvements, adjustments and integration of the other Game Mechanics. It's a WIP, so any Ideas, Suggestions and/or Feedback are welcome and appreciated (especially for Puppet-States, bc I'm still not happy with it and I think it needs something...more/unique).

The Concept is very long, but for anyone who has some knowledge about Client-States, the Mechanic will be very intuitive to play.

Spoiler Some Notes before reading :

- The Doc is very long, so grab a Coffee and some Cookies before starting to read ;)
- Mmm… PleaseIgnoreTyposAndGrammaticalNoGo’s . . .
- Due to lack of Modding Possibilities or because of certain limitations when making new Mechanics in Mods that aren’t Overhaul Mods (like to ensure Compatibility with other Mods), certain design choices needed to be made, which can be a reason why certain things will come across not quite as interesting and immersive as they could/should be. And in this Mechanic, it’s the not-possibility of changing the Leader of a Civilization that gets vassalised/puppeted. It’s technically possible to mod, but the sheer amount of Time it would need to make Back-up Leaders for all the Civs for a possible scenario where a Leader gets overthrown to vassalize/puppet its Civ isn’t worth the effort IMO, I’m not interested in that tbh and I also don’t think that it’s necessary. Eventhough Immersion is a major Focus of 4Xpansion Pass, Gameplay gets always prioritized over Immersion and Historicity. I hope I can manage to make an interesting Gameplay out of it that fills the Immersion gap.
- Not everything here will be included at the release of the 1st Pack, maybe only 75-85% of what’s here will be included in the Final Mod. The rest will come with later Packs and Updates.
- There are many Things that could be further improved/fleshed out more. There is already a lot to do, so I’m saving a lot for later (like in updates included in later Packs) where I will probably have a better Idea on what to do, based on Feedback and the Features of the upcoming Packs.
- Players probably won’t be able to vassalize all the other Players in the Game (if there are lots of Players in the Game). It’s hard to justify and balance a Player vassalizing 10 other major Players, so I’ll save that for Pack3, which will introduce a Mechanic that will help with that. (and maybe also introducing a Hegemony Victory Type)
- I wanted to introduce more Types, but that would just further push away the release of Pack1, so I decided to introduce the rest with the 2nd Pack, in which they will thematically fit more anyway.
- For a good and more appealing Client-States Mechanism it requires some changes to both, Conquest and Diplomacy. The former can easily be achieved, and it is done here via adding some penalties/downsides to occupying Cities and annexing them, penalties to conquering too many Cities in a short amount of Time, changes to Conquest Victory Rules…etc (dw, the Penalties won’t be severe/crippling, in most cases they will be just less Yields from X and Y). The latter (Diplomacy) is also enhanced a little bit for Client-State, but it would require too much work in order to get it done well (like for proper Proxy War Scenarios), and Civ VI’s Diplomacy in itself requires a big rework, but that’s out of the scope of the 1st Pack. However, Diplomacy will be the focus of the 6th and last Pack, which wraps up 4XP with many changes and rework of (AI) Diplomacy, taking in account the Features introduced in all the previous Packs of 4XP. Yet, for certain Features of 4XP to work properly, some Packs may introduce new Diplomatic Mechanisms that help with that.

Link to the Google doc: Zegangani's Client-States.

Last edited:
It will take some time to digest, but some thoughts from a first glance: I like differentiating the client states so as to reflect historical development. Your Fear mechanism seems sophisticated in a way. I particularly like how economic power (however it may be determined) factors into that, much like the trade wars of a globalized age. The way rebellion is tied up with conspiracy and backstabbing all the more as client states pile up seems potentially fun and balancing for yield transfers. Finally, I would move to change the term "master" to "hegemon," or possibly another term.

I particularly like how economic power (however it may be determined) factors into that, much like the trade wars of a globalized age
It will factor many things beside the Treasury and Gold generation, such as the Productivity in Cities, posessed Resources, Population, Happiness...etc. But I'm afraid Trade Wars won't be a Thing in this Pack (can't see how to do it without adding the necessary features), but in another one.
Note: The Trade Deal with cost reduction mentioned in the document is made in the Client-States UI, so it's seperate from the normal Trade Deal. It's not possible to dircetly reduce trade costs (of AI), so a custom way is necessary. but it will work the same way.
I would move to change the term "master" to "hegemon," or possibly another term.
I like that! I'm trying to give different Title Names for all the different Client-State Types and their "Masters/Suzerain", especially since some can coexist with each other at the same Time. Some are easy and straightforward, such as Suzerain and his/her Protectorate (Pack 2) but for the Puppet "Master" for example, I couldn't find a good and fitting name yet.

Thanks for the Feedback, very appreciated! Looking forward to your Thoughts when you're done readin.

It looks great. I have several suggestions for the title of the master of the Puppet State.

The Sovereign State of a Puppet State, hence the title, Sovereign.
The Principal State of a Puppet State, hence the title, Principal.
The Predominate State of a Puppet State, hence the title, Predominate.
The Premier State of a Puppet State, hence the title, Premier.

Edited: With Spacing

Thanks @Luminarch for the Suggestions!

I think I will use some of those Titles in some of the UI Texts, but for the actual "Master" Leader, I think I will use these as Titles:

- Suzerain of a Tributary-State (also because Tributaries work similar to City-States: join the Suzerain into War/Peace, Units can be levied, but Suzerain has no influence over other internal affairs of the Tributary),
- Liege of a Vassal-State,
- Metropole of a Colony,
- Soverain of a Protectorate,
- Master of a Puppet-State, (seems ok now that we have Suzerain for Tributaries)

First off, thank you for sharing this with us. It obviously took some time to come up with the ideas and set them in writing, like many of your others in this overhaul. I also appreciate you as the modder have to be cognizant of much more of the mechanics than we the player have ever have to care about. With that said, here we go!

Fear

This is a handy idea. I might suggest it be renamed "influence" along the modern meaning of unseen, exponential power, in the manner of gravity. Economic strength could be factored in earlier, say, the Industrial Era (Opium Wars) or earlier to represent conflict over key regions.

Tributary-States

I like the idea that tributary-states represent a "free hand" in terms of being bound by very few obligations but exerting dominance, a model that ceases to be so simple as the game progresses.

It is unclear to me how in practice fear of Player A would impact Player C's decision to attack Player B. Does this represent the fear of Player A intervening even if they are not obligated to do so? Additionally, I would worry about balance for a player in the early game who had more than two tributary-states. Depending on map size, this could easily represent something like the majority of the map. Additionally, would there be a way for Player A to influence stability in their tributary-states?

I also like the mechanic that a tributary-state becoming suzerain of multiple city-states would also threaten Player A's hold. Finally, I am curious whether you see a tributary agreement lasting through to Cultural Heritage or if it would be expected to morph into vassalage, for instance.

Vassal-States

Right away, I am asking myself how much the vassal-liege model extends beyond European feudal homage. This may be a matter of your design or wider cultural consideration.

Many interesting points here, as with the negative amenity if the liege takes a city in a military-forced vassalage, but especially confiscating or diminishing the effect of envoys. Initially I was unsure about yield transfer, but restricting it to city yields seems balanced. Here, it appears the liege can influence stability. One question is just how much sovereignty/autonomy the vassal has. It looks like the liege has many options to interfere diplomatically, but I like the idea of a vassal retaining autonomy.

I am a little unclear as to why the liege would suffer a loyalty/amenity penalty for having vassals, given this may be viewed internally as a sign of prestige or dominance. Statuses seem good, and I quite like the idea of tech/civic catch-up. The differential and restrictions from ages are a nice addition.

Still, I am confused as to how in practice Player C would help Player B break free. For instance, they can ally after 45 turns, but how would the two reach a point where they would consider an alliance? Perhaps Player C would have a variable modifier that peaked with denouncing Player A.

Another idea for breaking free could include double or triple war weariness on the part of the vassal to represent unmet obligations on the part of the liege. Also, this could perhaps be controversial, but Germany and Ottomans could even negate religious penalties.

Puppet-States

I am in favor of a strong diplomatic favor penalty for the creation of any puppet-state, to represent the intrinsic issue of sovereignty. Reading through, it is unclear why a human player would ever accept becoming a puppet-state (unlike a vassal-state), as it would seem a near-certain dead end, especially as the game draws to a close. The tech/civic boost partly makes up for it.

I suspect a flat boost to trade routes (as with tourism) may have more effect than a percentage boost.

Again, I am curious how a puppet-state would ally Play C, given even more stringent deprivation of sovereignty. One idea could be creating a Casus Belli or a spy mission to foment a proxy/liberation campaign.

Overall, I quite like the potential to supplant early aggression with a mechanism that encourages more of a power struggle. I can easily imagine early aggressors taking tributary-states, with the Medieval and Renaissance Eras cycling through a mix of vassal-liege swaps. Why choose Cultural Heritage over, for instance, Nationalism, to prompt independence? Also, I am curious how colonies would fit in either here or elsewhere in your overhaul. Thanks again and good luck!

*On a side note, the disproportionate size of the Vassal-State annotations right now make the document somewhat less user-friendly.

First off, thank you for sharing this with us. It obviously took some time to come up with the ideas and set them in writing, like many of your others in this overhaul. I also appreciate you as the modder have to be cognizant of much more of the mechanics than we the player have ever have to care about. With that said, here we go!
Thanks, Saxo Grammaticus! I appreciate it that you took your Time to read the entire Doc to provide this Feedback from it!
This is exactly what I was hoping to get as Feedback. I've been working on this Concept for quite some Time, and now I got to the Point where my Brain can't deliver any more meaningful ideas for this mechanism. So, your Questions and Ideas are exactly what I was looking for, bc when working on Client-States, I mainly focused on preventing the Issues the Civ IV Vasalage had to happen again with this one, while also making the Mechanic more deeper and integrated with the other Game Mechanics (to add more layers to it, like how you can achieve Culture Victory in multiple Ways). I tried to achieve many things with it (like preventing snowballing, reducing micromanagement...etc) and maybe that's why certain things come across too bloated.
Fear

This is a handy idea. I might suggest it be renamed "influence" along the modern meaning of unseen, exponential power, in the manner of gravity. Economic strength could be factored in earlier, say, the Industrial Era (Opium Wars) or earlier to represent conflict over key regions.
That's a good Idea, but I'm afraid that would interfere with the other diplomatic mechanics that are planned, bc technecally they can be also called "Influence". Perhaps I should, from now on, provide more details on certain things that are part of something else or interwoven with them. In this case, "Fear" is part of a 3 pillared diplomatic Mechanic; since there is no direct way to code the AI behaviour, I decided to use a mechanic that would help to emitate the AI behaviour and influence it to a certain degree. And the result is a Diplomatic Mechanic with 3 Components:
- Fear: mostly based on (military/economic/perhaps later also diplomatic) Strength.
- Respect (Pack 3): based on the Authority of the Leader and how well he/she is governing its Empire, treas his Vassals and also based on his/her relationship with other Players. This would affect when the AI is more likely to ally with a Player or to declare war on them (unrespected Players), but mainly, this will affect 3rd Party Relationships (like respected Players shouln't be attacked, or else harsh diplo penalties will be given to the aggressor).
- Envy (Pack 6): based on things Player A has that Player B also desires to have or wants the complete control over (such as: Resources, Vassals, Territory, Monopolies...etc). Apart as an Incentive to going to War with someone, this will be key to influence independent Players and asking for Favors (not the Points but Actions and Possessions), Ex: If Player A has a Resource that Player B desires, then Player A might offer the resource to Player B and ask him for a Favor in return, like allowing Player A to establish Corporations (reworked in Pack 4) in X Cities of Player B, or loosen the diplo restriction on a Vassal, or convince them to not settle in X Radius of Player A's Cities (or it's Player B who offers these deals to Player A). But this can also be used to keep certain Players under Control, like offering a City/Resources to Player B in exchange this latter stopping attacking a City-State. And in the late-Game, if Player A has interest in a specific Territory (like expanding on the hole continent) and Player B hates Player D (who might have cities in that territory), then Player C might offer to Player A and B to be part of a Coalition and go to war with Player D and whoever else they agree to declare War on; so Player A gets enough strength and justification to expand, Player B has the chance to conquer Player D's Cities, while Player A also gets to pursue its interests (perhaps Player D was very powerful and had Monopolies and Colonies that Player A couldn't touch until now).

I haven't made a propper design for Respect an Envy yet, but I hope I can use them to make deplomacy more interesting/engaging and a fun mechanic.
Perhaps the sum of these 3 diplo components would be called "Influence Power" (?).
Tributary-States
[...]It is unclear to me how in practice fear of Player A would impact Player C's decision to attack Player B. Does this represent the fear of Player A intervening even if they are not obligated to do so?
Yes. Sorry I left some things out. The chance for that to happen (Player A defending the Tributary) is based on the benefits they get from them and the Military Strength between A and C (hence players that fear A won't attack its Tributaries). So there is no guarantee, just a chance based on 2 Things. If Player C declares war on Player B then that would be an act of provocation towards Player A, because this latter gets benefits from PlayerB, and that would cease to be if PlayerB gets exterminated by Player C, but if it's not in the best interest of Player A to defend the Tributary (like a costly War for just the few Benefits received) then they won't do it.
Additionally, I would worry about balance for a player in the early game who had more than two tributary-states. Depending on map size, this could easily represent something like the majority of the map.
Yep, that's only fair. I thought of using the Map Size and Number of Players in the Game to balance that, but I haven't decided for anything yet, maybe either through a hardlock or in form of Penalties (like Amenity and Loyalty loss in own Cities)?
Additionally, would there be a way for Player A to influence stability in their tributary-states?
I actually didn't include that on purpose, so that there is a clear gameplay difference between a Tributary-State and a Vassal-State, with this latter internally more influencable. And you can also see it in the bigger Military control Player A has on a Tributary compared to a Vassal. But I can imagine unlocking more control Abilities (including what you suggested here) with Civics and Time spent under Player A's Sovereignty. This would perhaps add more dynamism to the mechanic I think.
Finally, I am curious whether you see a tributary agreement lasting through to Cultural Heritage or if it would be expected to morph into vassalage, for instance.
When I first read that, I don't know why but, I thought of Cultural Diffusion and ways of Tributaries and Vassals inhereting the Culture of the Sovereign/Liege. But that's for another topic for another Mechanic in another Pack. :crazyeye:
Tbh, the sole reason I kept Tributaries till Cultural Heritage and didn't make them obsolete earlier, is for historical accuracy, since we have many Tributary and Vassal States that were under control of the Ottoman Empire up untill their dissolution in the early 20th Century. So I wanted to keep that Option, so Players who have more interest in the Military and resources of a Player could still make them a Tributary rather than a Vassal (and also bc they don't sign a defensive pact with them). But I see that most of the Players would go this latter road instead, because diplomatic and internal influence is more powerful in the late Game. So in most cases the Tributary agreement will instead of being renewed, turn into a Vassalage agreement.
Vassal-States

Right away, I am asking myself how much the vassal-liege model extends beyond European feudal homage. This may be a matter of your design or wider cultural consideration.
Fair :). It looks too Eurocentric, doesn't it? that wasn't my intention, honestly, but I just found those gameplay Ideas could really be fun, especially with the integration of Religion, which is mostly irrelevant when not going for a Religion Victory. But if you have any Ideas on how I can de-eurocentralize that, then I would welcome that.
One question is just how much sovereignty/autonomy the vassal has. It looks like the liege has many options to interfere diplomatically, but I like the idea of a vassal retaining autonomy.
I'm yet to found out myself, as only Gameplay tests can give a clear answer to that. I hope the Vassal will have enough room to be able to break free at some point, either dircetly through growth or indirectly through 3rd party involvement (hence the many options to break free).
I am a little unclear as to why the liege would suffer a loyalty/amenity penalty for having vassals, given this may be viewed internally as a sign of prestige or dominance.
Yeah, you got me there :lol:. I wanted the Liege to have some limits on how many Vassal he/she can have, but I see this Idea of Liege internal Penalties (demonstrating Citizens unhappy about the Leader having more duties in form of also governing other Civs, so they fear the Leader at the end just losing control over everything and plunge its empire into chaos) isn't as good as I initially thought.
Still, I am confused as to how in practice Player C would help Player B break free. For instance, they can ally after 45 turns, but how would the two reach a point where they would consider an alliance? Perhaps Player C would have a variable modifier that peaked with denouncing Player A.
That's a good Idea! I haven't thought of making it visual to the Player on how Player C does that, since its only the AI's behaviour and the human Player isn't restricted to that.
The Points listed there help Player B to meet a requirement to break free from the Liege, which can be in favor of both, Player B and C. Player B (if not a voluntary vassal) actively strives for Independance, some Players even at any cost (like even if it means war), and if Player C hates Player A (like because they restrict PlayerB to trade with Player C or fears they will be next to become a Vassal) then they might help Player B to break free from Player A. Thanks for bringing this up, as I left that unclear in the doc. I will later add the things that affect Player C's decision to help Player B to break free from the liege, and how exactly that gets achieved. And a visible modifier (only to a Vassal) that shows willingness of Player C to help/ally with Player B sounds good to me.
Another idea for breaking free could include double or triple war weariness on the part of the vassal to represent unmet obligations on the part of the liege. Also, this could perhaps be controversial, but Germany and Ottomans could even negate religious penalties.
I like this Idea a lot. A war weariness specific to Vassal/Liege relationship would indeed add more depth to Vassalage. And I can see it extended to Tributaries as well.
And negated religious penalties for Germany and Ottomans also sound like a nice minor trait.
Puppet-States

I am in favor of a strong diplomatic favor penalty for the creation of any puppet-state, to represent the intrinsic issue of sovereignty.
Totally Entitled. I feel like it went up with the Ideas from Tributaries to Vassals, but from there to Puppets it kind of went downhill. I will revise the Puppet System here and there I think.
Reading through, it is unclear why a human player would ever accept becoming a puppet-state (unlike a vassal-state)
Given that Puppet-States come so late into the Game, I didn't consider the human Player ever getting in a situation where they could become a Puppet to someone. But Yes, even the normal (AI) benefits aren't that great. This calls for a revision.
I suspect a flat boost to trade routes (as with tourism) may have more effect than a percentage boost.
Unfortunately, there is no way to make (mod) changes to Trade-Routes/Tourism (or even Loyalty) between 2 specific Players, if they aren't allied, which Tributaries and Puppets aren't (but Vassals are).
Again, I am curious how a puppet-state would ally Play C, given even more stringent deprivation of sovereignty. One idea could be creating a Casus Belli or a spy mission to foment a proxy/liberation campaign.
The Idea was allowing for the Alliance Option only in 2 Situations:
- When the Master didn't restrict the Puppet to develop a diplomatic relationship with Player C.
- An Alliance with other Puppets of the Master (which can be harder to achive than the first option, since other Puppets may fear the Master too much).

Though, the Idea of a Casus-Belli to foment a proxy/liberation campaign is really neat. However, we can't mod new spy missions into the Game or change existing ones, unfortunately.
Also, I am curious how colonies would fit in either here or elsewhere in your overhaul.
Semi-brief Discription:
Colonies would not be considered typical Client-States, but they would function similar while still giving the fealing and benefits of what we would expect from a Colony.
A Colony is any new settlement far away from the Capital or any other, near Capital, City of the Player (not necessarilly on a foreign continent - bc some Continenets in the Game can be really big and other Players' Cities can get between yours).
The Loyalty Mechanic makes it hard for Players to settle Colonial Cities anywhere near other Players' Cities, so Colonies will start as an Improvement that claim adjacent tiles instead of becoming a City right away. And other Players can't settle new City/Colony in X radius of the established Colony. The Colony will have a Population Bar that grows based on the food Yields of the claimed tiles, and there are multiple ways to claim additional tiles, like when the Pupulation grows, tiles get claimed. The Player can't produce anything in the Colony, but you can use Builders to improve tiles to get access to the resources there, more food for the colony to grow or housing. When the Colony reaches +5 Pop the Colony will turn into a normal City with same Pop Number, and the Player will have a choice to either:
- make the Colony autonomous (except in foreign affairs, military/defense and international trade), in which case the Colony will become similar to a Suzerained City-State (with much more benefits), but without other Player being able to influence it, and the Player can choose what the Colony should be focusing on (Gold, Science, Military, Production, Faith...etc), (this can be done anytime, even after keeping the City)
- or keep the City under direct control while still getting the usual benefits of a Colony (like Trade Route benefits).
But Colonial rules will take effect for either of the 2 Options: less Culture, posibility to declare Independence...etc

If the Player has many Colonies near each other, then they may declare Independance, in which case the Mother Empire either accep or refuce the demand; 2 Outcomes:
- Accept: The Colonies will become one random Civ, and from now on shall be known as a Dominion having a favorable trade and diplomatic relationship with the Mother Empire (like with higher likeliness for an Alliance or even a Coalition if we ever reach Pack 6). And if the mother Empire happens to have other Colonies on other Continents or even Protectorates, then if the former accepts these latters independency then they all might form a [mother Empire Name] Commonwealth (I think it would be fun to have this option in the Game) and share more diplo/trade benefits with each other.
- Reject: A Revolutionary War starts between the Colonies and the mother Empire. and if the Revolutionaries defend themselves long enough, then they will be united and turned into a new random Civ.

There are also some other nice features attached to the Mechanic, like events popping up where indigenous People are attacking the invaders, in which case you either need to defeat them to gain more tiles or try to cooperate with them and perhaps even convince them to join you. Resources on tiles of the Colony and that the Player isn't familar with can only be worked by trading with the indigenous People or when they join you.
*On a side note, the disproportionate size of the Vassal-State annotations right now make the document somewhat less user-friendly.
Sorry for that. The Document is mainly the reference doc that I use for modding this Mechanism, so I actually just removed some lines that are useful for modding and revised some to be more user friendly, so I can share it with you while I'm working on the modding part. When the Mod comes out I'll make sure the Document is clear and clean, and only lists the important things to know (and more details in the Civilopedia) while providing all the necessary infos.

Thanks again, @Saxo Grammaticus for this valuable Feedback! I really appreciate this. Your Questions, Ideas and Suggestions are really useful for this Mechanic, and exactly what I wanted to get. Especially since I stopped to think more on this Mechanic (and hence left some flaws in the concept) to focus more on the other Parts of the pack and coding everything.

Last edited:
Absolutely, happy any feedback proved helpful!

I haven't made a propper design for Respect an Envy yet, but I hope I can use them to make deplomacy more interesting/engaging and a fun mechanic.
Perhaps the sum of these 3 diplo components would be called "Influence Power" (?).

Understood. I like the Fear/Respect/Envy (somewhat Machiavellian) division. Influence as a concept could cover it, but maybe you will come across a more suitable term.
Yep, that's only fair. I thought of using the Map Size and Number of Players in the Game to balance that, but I haven't decided for anything yet, maybe either through a hardlock or in form of Penalties (like Amenity and Loyalty loss in own Cities)?

...and whether you have YnAMP as a prerequisite, and its significantly larger variation in number of players. I am not sure how to balance that, but would definitely be concerned about a player snowballing off of several Tributary-States.
I actually didn't include that on purpose, so that there is a clear gameplay difference between a Tributary-State and a Vassal-State, with this latter internally more influencable.

Yes, I can see that developing in future, but the nature of Tributary-States makes more sense to me now.
Tbh, the sole reason I kept Tributaries till Cultural Heritage and didn't make them obsolete earlier, is for historical accuracy, since we have many Tributary and Vassal States that were under control of the Ottoman Empire up untill their dissolution in the early 20th Century.

Understood. It makes sense to represent late tributaries like those of the Ottomans that way.

Fair :). It looks too Eurocentric, doesn't it? that wasn't my intention, honestly, but I just found those gameplay Ideas could really be fun, especially with the integration of Religion, which is mostly irrelevant when not going for a Religion Victory. But if you have any Ideas on how I can de-eurocentralize that, then I would welcome that.

Yes, and it is awkward as I did not come up with a good alternative for you! Well, I poked around a bit and the solution I came up with is Nomina compatibility to at least localize the term "liege" outside of Europe.
Yeah, you got me there :lol:. I wanted the Liege to have some limits on how many Vassal he/she can have, but I see this Idea of Liege internal Penalties (demonstrating Citizens unhappy about the Leader having more duties in form of also governing other Civs, so they fear the Leader at the end just losing control over everything and plunge its empire into chaos) isn't as good as I initially thought.

Understood, I am not that familiar with such discontent over sharing a sovereign. One idea would be to represent some form of bureaucratic complexity or limits on power in terms of regional government. For instance, even before considering vassals that were plausibly their own states, if I recall correctly, Spain in the form of Cortes and France with parlements retained semi-autonomous regional institutions into the 18th century. Perhaps vassalage could undermine centralization of power.
Thanks for bringing this up, as I left that unclear in the doc. I will later add the things that affect Player C's decision to help Player B to break free from the liege, and how exactly that gets achieved. And a visible modifier (only to a Vassal) that shows willingness of Player C to help/ally with Player B sounds good to me.

Great!

Unfortunately, there is no way to make (mod) changes to Trade-Routes/Tourism (or even Loyalty) between 2 specific Players, if they aren't allied, which Tributaries and Puppets aren't (but Vassals are).

Sounds like you will be revising Puppet-States, which makes sense based on your responses, as the biggest issue for me was gameplay.
Though, the Idea of a Casus-Belli to foment a proxy/liberation campaign is really neat. However, we can't mod new spy missions into the Game or change existing ones, unfortunately.

Good to understand the hard limit of espionage missions!

I will keep an open eye for more thoughts from you and others about colonialism, and perhaps get back to you later on that. Thank you again and good luck with modding!

Yes, and it is awkward as I did not come up with a good alternative for you! Well, I poked around a bit and the solution I came up with is Nomina compatibility to at least localize the term "liege" outside of Europe.
Yes, I actually wanted to talk with SeelingCat about mod-support and see if we can ensure that before the release of the mod (not necessarilly for the beta version).
I try to make 4XP compatible with as many mods as possible actually, and I already got permission from some UI Modders to include parts of their codes into 4XP, so that mod compatibility will be built-in.
re. non-european vassalage; I guess I will put some more time into research and make some changes to it :).
Understood, I am not that familiar with such discontent over sharing a sovereign. One idea would be to represent some form of bureaucratic complexity or limits on power in terms of regional government. For instance, even before considering vassals that were plausibly their own states, if I recall correctly, Spain in the form of Cortes and France with parlements retained semi-autonomous regional institutions into the 18th century. Perhaps vassalage could undermine centralization of power.
Good that you're mentioning this. Bureaucracy and Centralization will play a big role in Pack3, which will introduce a new city stability mechanic and Bureacracy Points that you gain and use to manage your Empire. Combined with the Cultural Diffusion (also in Pack3) we might get a realistic Centralization System (Colonies might also benefit from this or vice versa).
So, for now, I think I'll just find a good-enough solution till Pack3 comes out (or when you don't want to use features from Pack3).
Sounds like you will be revising Puppet-States, which makes sense based on your responses, as the biggest issue for me was gameplay.
My biggest fear was that they won't be much useful without meaningful changes to the current Civ6's Diplomacy. So Yes, I'll revise it for now, but I'll also keep improving it the more diplomacy features I add along the other Packs. Tho, with Pack6 reworking World Congress (Yes, it's very moddable actually, one just needs to put the effort to code the AI decision making for it) and adding many other diplo features, that's where Puppet States will get to a meaningful state and play a big role in late-game Diplomacy.
I will keep an open eye for more thoughts from you and others about colonialism, and perhaps get back to you later on that.
Feel free to ask me any questions :D ! I haven't completed the Concept for it yet, but I'm open for any discussion about Colonisation (my Favorite Strategy to play the Game, even though it's not the best currently).
Thank you again and good luck with modding!
Thanks a lot! I very appreciate your support!

Yes, I actually wanted to talk with SeelingCat about mod-support and see if we can ensure that before the release of the mod (not necessarilly for the beta version).
I try to make 4XP compatible with as many mods as possible actually, and I already got permission from some UI Modders to include parts of their codes into 4XP, so that mod compatibility will be built-in.

That is great to hear. I think another issue that has occurred to me since is whether vassals ought to take the title from their liege or from their cultural/religious identity.

Good that you're mentioning this. Bureaucracy and Centralization will play a big role in Pack3, which will introduce a new city stability mechanic and Bureacracy Points that you gain and use to manage your Empire. Combined with the Cultural Diffusion (also in Pack3) we might get a realistic Centralization System (Colonies might also benefit from this or vice versa).
So, for now, I think I'll just find a good-enough solution till Pack3 comes out (or when you don't want to use features from Pack3).

Great! Looking forward to seeing both Bureaucracy/Centralization and Cultural Diffusion.

My biggest fear was that they won't be much useful without meaningful changes to the current Civ6's Diplomacy. So Yes, I'll revise it for now, but I'll also keep improving it the more diplomacy features I add along the other Packs. Tho, with Pack6 reworking World Congress (Yes, it's very moddable actually, one just needs to put the effort to code the AI decision making for it) and adding many other diplo features, that's where Puppet States will get to a meaningful state and play a big role in late-game Diplomacy.

The overarching hesitation I have with Client-States as presented is a slight Paradox hangover where I feel like falling into any of these relationships, particularly becoming a Puppet-State, could lead to losing the game due to annexation. Is some sort of "Diplomatic Annexation" at all part of your vision? With Puppet-States, at least, I could imagine them forfeiting their votes in the World Congress, instead bloc voting in support.

The overarching hesitation I have with Client-States as presented is a slight Paradox hangover where I feel like falling into any of these relationships, particularly becoming a Puppet-State, could lead to losing the game due to annexation. Is some sort of "Diplomatic Annexation" at all part of your vision?
Actually not, at least not with major Civs. I think that would be too much of a downside and doesn't really benefit the Gameplay, but further helps snowballing.

One thing that I didn't mention, is that I'll also add a Puppet-City System that's on a City Basis, when you conquer/settle Cities, which can be annexed. However, it won't be as deep of a System, as Client-States are, and connect to many other game systems. It will work similar (not same) to the Civ V System and mainly help with the micromanagement of Cities (So it will only be available to the human Player, for now). I just want to add this Feature so that Players who find Client-States too complex still have an option to reduce the micromanagement of Cities. I might develop it further down the line, but the other features, like Client-States, Colonies or Protectorates can handle micromanagement well enough, so it isn't actually necessary.

To get to this Question again;
Is some sort of "Diplomatic Annexation" at all part of your vision?
The only thing that could resemble that, is a "Cultural Annexation" when Cultural Diffusion gets released. Client-States that spent a lot of time under the rule of a Player, will further inheret its Culture, and Ethnicity may also play a role. But it won't be a fast/quick thing that happens (like sometimes with Loyalty flipping), but takes time and maybe also effort (if you want to rush the process a little bit), and it's not the Culturally dominant Player that decides to annex a City but the People of the City and their Opinion about the Player is what makes them offer to be annexed.

Though, I get your Point, if it's not well balanced, Client-States can indeed make one too dependent on the Liege. That's why I'm trying to add many possible ways to Independance, Including limits and consequences of having a Client-State.
With Puppet-States, at least, I could imagine them forfeiting their votes in the World Congress, instead bloc voting in support.
So you mean giving their Favor Points to the Master before the World Congress begins is better than (them keeping their votes and) making them vote for the Master?

Thank you for clarifying annexation. I am definitely reassured that your vision is for such changes to be more organic, as in per city rather than state. This also ties in with something I generally like about your outline, which is client-states as ways to keep players relevant and discourage the ennui of devouring neighbors.
Though, I get your Point, if it's not well balanced, Client-States can indeed make one too dependent on the Liege. That's why I'm trying to add many possible ways to Independance, Including limits and consequences of having a Client-State.

It is a bit of a realism-gameplay trap! While client states were often an intensely exploitative arrangement, it would be great balance for Client-States in-game to catch up and even become competitive in their own right through these relations. The single most threatening gameplay dynamic for me, personally, was the strengthened Grand Embassy trait from HSD, where I would feel compelled to go to war with the New World just to stem the tech/culture leaching from trade routes.
So you mean giving their Favor Points to the Master before the World Congress begins is better than (them keeping their votes and) making them vote for the Master?

Yes, I got caught up in a Civ V afterimage. I imagine it is harder to mod for Civ VI but it would be nice if the Client-States followed suit in voting with their Master, though donating favor could indicate a lack of diplomatic recognition or support, in that hoarding diplomatic favor would be less efficient for the Master.

The single most threatening gameplay dynamic for me, personally, was the strengthened Grand Embassy trait from HSD, where I would feel compelled to go to war with the New World just to stem the tech/culture leaching from trade routes.
Tbh, I was really considering to use that Trait in some way or another to help struggling Civs to catch-up, but I think there are some other (similar) ways to do it without stealing the Trait from Peter. But it's a good way to help with that, since it's good for both, gameplay and realism.
Yes, I got caught up in a Civ V afterimage. I imagine it is harder to mod for Civ VI but it would be nice if the Client-States followed suit in voting with their Master, though donating favor could indicate a lack of diplomatic recognition or support, in that hoarding diplomatic favor would be less efficient for the Master.
I guess that would work well for Tributaries and Vassals, but I think I will leave some more freedom for Puppet-States in that regard (like keeping some favors so they can vote for their own interests (which can be "for" the Master)), because although they are diplomatically dependant on the Master, externally they are independent. Maybe if the rework ends up with same different Puppet Types, they probably can differ in that perspective, like 1 Type gives all its favors, the other just votes "for" the master and the other is a mix of both and enjoys some diplomatic freedom. But that won't happen until the rework of the World Congress, so for now they will just be giving their favor points to the Master.

As for modding this:
I imagine it is harder to mod for Civ VI but it would be nice if the Client-States followed suit in voting with their Master
It would take some Time, Yes, but at least it's possible. I'm interested in investing some time to mod it, and I think it diserves a try, since if done well (and I hope I can make a good job at it), it could really improve the late Game.

Finally returning to the question of colonies!
Semi-brief Discription:
Colonies would not be considered typical Client-States, but they would function similar while still giving the fealing and benefits of what we would expect from a Colony.
A Colony is any new settlement far away from the Capital or any other, near Capital, City of the Player (not necessarilly on a foreign continent - bc some Continenets in the Game can be really big and other Players' Cities can get between yours).

Would you be open to a distinct category for the early/mid-game to model Phoenician/Greek colonization of the Mediterranean? Not that I really encounter maps all that reminiscent of the Mediterranean, but a mechanism for disconnected coastal emporia to occasionally form city-states could be interesting. They would certainly benefit from player settling habits. Of course, it would have to be balanced against the loss of an early city, perhaps through tying it to city count.

The Loyalty Mechanic makes it hard for Players to settle Colonial Cities anywhere near other Players' Cities, so Colonies will start as an Improvement that claim adjacent tiles instead of becoming a City right away. And other Players can't settle new City/Colony in X radius of the established Colony. The Colony will have a Population Bar that grows based on the food Yields of the claimed tiles, and there are multiple ways to claim additional tiles, like when the Pupulation grows, tiles get claimed. The Player can't produce anything in the Colony, but you can use Builders to improve tiles to get access to the resources there, more food for the colony to grow or housing.

This is a great idea for cocooning colonies until they have a decent population to stand up to loyalty pressure. I would suggest adding a gold meter to the food meter to represent trading posts with economic incentive. Could the colony be in that strange region of Civ VI beyond by the supremacy of production?

A more substantive question would be how colonies interact with war and combat. Can they be pillaged or even destroyed? Can they change hands?

I am sure you are familiar with the Western European bonus from Sui Generis for coastal cities on foreign continents. In my experience, this gives Victoria's settling patterns more staying power.

When the Colony reaches +5 Pop the Colony will turn into a normal City with same Pop Number, and the Player will have a choice to either:
- make the Colony autonomous (except in foreign affairs, military/defense and international trade), in which case the Colony will become similar to a Suzerained City-State (with much more benefits), but without other Player being able to influence it, and the Player can choose what the Colony should be focusing on (Gold, Science, Military, Production, Faith...etc), (this can be done anytime, even after keeping the City)
- or keep the City under direct control while still getting the usual benefits of a Colony (like Trade Route benefits).
But Colonial rules will take effect for either of the 2 Options: less Culture, posibility to declare Independence...etc

My main concern would be the district mini-game: If a colony is autonomous, would it build districts on its own? Would it share the colonial power's district scaling? I can definitely envision a spectrum from exploitative coastal and resource outposts with little to no investment all the way to beautiful, strategically located cities with high adjacencies that will not hesitate to answer the call. An idea would be having a colonial building that confers 100% production toward districts for, say, 10 turns.

Another question: what would stop players from keeping colonies under the population threshold? With a lighthouse and a granary it is fairly easy to grow a coastal city to that level. I suppose interior desert and tundra colonies would be swept up in regional movements.

The converse of this would be size 19 colonies that drain the amenities from the rest of the empire. I imagine those in particular would be hotbeds of independence movements.

Overall, not entirely clear on the difference with colonies under direct rule. Perhaps culture and science could be penalized by 25%, production by 40%, but then gold yields could be doubled to demonstrate the extractive orientation of colonial relations, particularly the discouragement of local industrial capacity.

If the Player has many Colonies near each other, then they may declare Independance, in which case the Mother Empire either accep or refuce the demand; 2 Outcomes:
- Accept: The Colonies will become one random Civ, and from now on shall be known as a Dominion having a favorable trade and diplomatic relationship with the Mother Empire (like with higher likeliness for an Alliance or even a Coalition if we ever reach Pack 6). And if the mother Empire happens to have other Colonies on other Continents or even Protectorates, then if the former accepts these latters independency then they all might form a [mother Empire Name] Commonwealth (I think it would be fun to have this option in the Game) and share more diplo/trade benefits with each other.
- Reject: A Revolutionary War starts between the Colonies and the mother Empire. and if the Revolutionaries defend themselves long enough, then they will be united and turned into a new random Civ.

All this sounds good. Perhaps a Dominion/Commonwealth faction would still have a diplomatic penalty (fading over time) against the colonial power, whereas for a colonial revolutionary that would be doubled. Would it be possible to reserve civilizations like America and Gran Colombia for emerging factions?

There are also some other nice features attached to the Mechanic, like events popping up where indigenous People are attacking the invaders, in which case you either need to defeat them to gain more tiles or try to cooperate with them and perhaps even convince them to join you. Resources on tiles of the Colony and that the Player isn't familar with can only be worked by trading with the indigenous People or when they join you.

Great. We kind of converged on this over in my thread, but I would definitely support in particular some type of native land management. It could also be interesting how great people would be handled if they came from the colonies as opposed to the metropole.

Thanks again for sharing your ideas here!

I appreciate your Interest in this Mod, Saxo Grammaticus, and thank you for all the Feedback and Questions! This indeed helps me with the design of this mechanism, and the questions raised are exactly what is needed to fix the Issues that I often tend to neglected and forget about, they help to fill those gaps and balance everything so that everything works properly.
I think I should note here that the Concept for Colonies is far from being complete or definitive, at the moment it's just a combination of Ideas that still need to be reconsidered and balanced.
Would you be open to a distinct category for the early/mid-game to model Phoenician/Greek colonization of the Mediterranean? Not that I really encounter maps all that reminiscent of the Mediterranean, but a mechanism for disconnected coastal emporia to occasionally form city-states could be interesting. They would certainly benefit from player settling habits. Of course, it would have to be balanced against the loss of an early city, perhaps through tying it to city count.
I was indeed toying with the Idea of early and late-game Colonization, so yes, I'm definitely open for that, and I actually have thought of some Ideas on how to differintiate early/mid Game Colonies from modern Colonies, but I'm nowhere near being happy/satisfied with them. The distinction derives mainly from 4 things (bc of the lack of proper terms, I will just call them pre-modern colony and modern colony):

1) Location:
  • Pre-modern Colony: needs to be a Coastal City or max 2 tiles away from any Coast.
  • Modern Colony: No restrictions.
2) The Colony's Infrastructure and Population growth:
  • Pre-modern Game Colony: is an Improvement that claims surrounding tiles and grows (population) based on the food yields collected from the claimed tiles. You can't build anything in it, but farms or extraction improvements (mines, Lumbermills...etc.). All the Tiles' Yields (except Production) are collected and sent to the Capital (no tile worker needs to be assigned).
  • Modern Colony: functions just like a normal City (i.e. tiles are worked by Citizens, and Population grows just like in a normal City), but only claims surrounding tiles of the city center. The modern Colony can build any Infrastructure.
3) Border Growth:
  • Pre-modern Colony: Tiles get claimed when the Population grows and when indigenous people join the Colony or get defeated. Tiles can also be purchased with Gold, but cost 2x the usual price.
  • Modern Colony: Tiles get claimed with culture, just like in normal cities, but Border expansion growth is at half speed (50%) and Buying tiles with Gold costs 2x the usual price. Tiles get also claimed, just like in early game colonies, with interaction with the indigenous/local people.
4) Builder:
  • Pre-modern Colony: can't build Builders, but when you settle the Colony, you get a free Builder and whenever the Colony's Popultion reaches 3 or 6 Citizens, the Colony will also get a free Builder (only before the Colony turns into a real colonial City).
  • Modern Colony: get a free Builder when you settle the Colony.
And right now a fifth one occurs to me; what if early colonies generate culture just like normal, but modern colonies don't or have greatly reduced culture output?
I would suggest adding a gold meter to the food meter to represent trading posts with economic incentive. Could the colony be in that strange region of Civ VI beyond by the supremacy of production?
Yep, that's a great Idea. I was thinking to maybe represent the economoc stimulus with Immigration from the core Cities to the new settlements (which is actually pretty much what describes colonization), but why complicate things when you can just abstract it, right?
But this would only work for the pre-city Colony, as we can't modify how a normal city grows population. Perhaps a growth modifier based on the Gold output?
A more substantive question would be how colonies interact with war and combat. Can they be pillaged or even destroyed? Can they change hands?
Yes, Colonies can get pillaged and destroyed, and also occupied/conquered. Now that we have the distinction between early (premodern) and modern colonies, I will just follow that line from now on:
- premodern Colony: can't build Mili Units, but when attacked, the Colony automatically spawns Militia defender Units (number is based on Population) that are weaker than normal Military Units. You can buy certain mili Unit Types with Gold, but the amount of Units you can buy is also limited on the Colony's Population. (the Militia should be strong enough to defend against indegenous rebels but attacks from major Players requires professional military Units)
- modern Colony: is restricted on the type of Units it can train (or should the Encampment be a prerequisite to build military Units?), and can only train certain Unit Types, that it otherwise can't, if it has a Trade Route to one of your core Cities.
I am sure you are familiar with the Western European bonus from Sui Generis for coastal cities on foreign continents. In my experience, this gives Victoria's settling patterns more staying power.
It would be interesting to use that Ability to keep coastal Colonies loyal while making inland colonies a challenge to keep under control. I recently had an Idea about using Governor Points to make a City immune to Identity Pressure for X amount of Turns, perhaps this could be given to non-coastal colonies, so that it's a play against time to grow the Colony till it can resist any pressure from other Cities. Just an Idea.
My main concern would be the district mini-game: If a colony is autonomous, would it build districts on its own? Would it share the colonial power's district scaling?
Yes, it would build Districts on its own. The Player won't have direct control over an autonomous Colony, but he/she may have control on what the Colony can build, for example, you can restrict the City from building any Districts or only allow it to build a CH and a Harbor. Same thing with Buildings. But an autonomous Colony as well as its Districts won't count towards the Player's Cities, so things like Policies discounting the cost of District and such won't have any effect on autonomous Colonies. This is mainly a coding and not a design decision, bc auto-colonies will be controlled by AI.
And, yes, I can see how the colony's tiles would look like if you leave it to the AI (autonomous). One solution might be to be able to switch from controled to autonomous Colony at any time by using a Currency/Resource of somekind. I have planned something of that nature for later, but I think for now a simpler solution might be better, maybe just a Gold Cost like when you want to change a Policy. But there must be some restrictions I guess, like you can only do that if the colony hasn't been autonomous for more than 30-60 turns.
An idea would be having a colonial building that confers 100% production toward districts for, say, 10 turns.
Sorry, I can't follow you here. Do you mean like a Building that basically makes districts faster to build or one that increases the districts' yields? or something else?
I would appreciate it if you could explain to me what you mean here.
One thing that I think I didn't mention, is that new settlements in the late game won't have too high infrastructure production costs. So, new Cities (Core or Colonial) will be able to build the necessary infrastructure much faster (based on Era), and builders will also be faster to train.
Another question: what would stop players from keeping colonies under the population threshold? With a lighthouse and a granary it is fairly easy to grow a coastal city to that level. I suppose interior desert and tundra colonies would be swept up in regional movements.
You mean there could be a situation where the Player would want to not upgrade the Colony Improvement into a Colonial City? I mean, I think Colonial Cities should be much more profitable and easier to manage.
I think I made a mistake here:
When the Colony reaches +5 Pop the Colony will turn into a normal City
I meant when the Colony reaches 5 Population, the Player can then upgrade it manually to a normal functioning City, but it will be a colonial city not core. So Players can even wait till the Colony has 7 Pop if they want to. But I suppose there should be a limit where the colony automatically becomes a full city, and 7 sounds about right, I guess.

Anyway, you're right about climate circumstances, though, your previous Idea of tying Gold as another source for growth beside food could fix this issue. Maybe also adding a Gold bonus to improved resources or farms to help new Colonies to grow faster? As for growth after the colony has become a full City, I think Trade Routes should be the major source for food, so that colonies get food in exchange for Gold (more than normal core Cities give/receive).
The converse of this would be size 19 colonies that drain the amenities from the rest of the empire. I imagine those in particular would be hotbeds of independence movements.
wrt. Population size, Yes. But Happiness won't be an Issue with Colonies, as I think Colonies by nature should be less Amenity demanding (like from luxuries). So I think the Happiness of a Colony should be more dependant on the relationship with the home country, the Player actually. How that relationship looks like, I'm not sure yet.
Overall, not entirely clear on the difference with colonies under direct rule.
I only made that division so that Players who want to settle colonies (for the benefits) but not manage them, to have the option to make a colony autonomous, by AI, like a suzerained City-State, working just like a normal Colony but with a slight difference/caveat compared to a colony under direct/normal control. This latter functions just like a normal City that you control, but is still under the influence/effect of colonial rules, like less culture output...etc.
So, autonomous Colonies are like self-governing Colonies that are still under rule (not direct control) and protection from its home Empire.
Perhaps culture and science could be penalized by 25%, production by 40%, but then gold yields could be doubled to demonstrate the extractive orientation of colonial relations, particularly the discouragement of local industrial capacity.
Good Ideas! Perhaps the Production penalty will get reduced the more tiles the Colony claims or the higher the Population gets? like simulating the influence of the Colony over the locals and their assimilation.
Perhaps a Dominion/Commonwealth faction would still have a diplomatic penalty (fading over time) against the colonial power, whereas for a colonial revolutionary that would be doubled
Yes, I think that would make for better and more interesting Games.
Would it be possible to reserve civilizations like America and Gran Colombia for emerging factions?
It's possible, yes, and I'll for sure reserve them for that purpose, but they need to be selected as Players in the setup menu (though, they won't spawn at the beginning of the game). If you're familiar with the Free City-States Mod, then the new factions would function pretty much the same way (the takeover I mean).

Thanks again for sharing you thoughts with me! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom