Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem

TheFjordFox

Chieftain
Hello there!

So; I'm an avid Close Combat fan, and out of all the games in the franchise, Last Stand Arnhem is in my personal opinion one of the better iterations of it. That being said, I am currently doing a playthrough of it for youtube. Now, I've played these games since the 90s, and overall racked up more hours of game-time spread across the various iterations of it than any sane human should. I suppose a good side-effect of this is that I am quite experienced with the games at this point in time!

I'm playing on Elite difficulty, and given the chance, I always try to make things as hard and challenging for myself in each and every battle, barring stifling myself intentionally. Since you can edit your opponent's troop composition, I will always replace redundant units with useful ones, and if he for some reason isn't fielding as much armour as he could, I will make sure he does, so that my challenge increases, and his chances of winning increases with it. I know the AI isn't a he/she, but sometimes it feels better to humanize my computer adversary!

I will start off playing through the grand campaign with the Allies, and afterwards I'll go through it with the Germans. I'll update this post with a link for the German playthrough when it's out there!

At the time of writing this, there are 24 episodes currently out, but more will come rapidly, and by the time you read this, there is a good chance the playthrough is finished!

Links follow below:

Hope you'll enjoy! Don't be afraid of leaving a comment or subscribing - it truly makes my day when people do!

Have a good one!

I have CC, CC ABTF, CCIII and I think I have a cd version of the Longest Day laying around somewhere. I have never been motivated to buy any of the Matrix/Slitherine versions of the game though. By far ABTF was my favorite. I played the campaign games, but the real fun was player vs. player online. I had some of the greatest gaming experiences competing with others. There was a website called Tournament House. It had a competitive ladder that I competed in, rankings and a scoring system for victories vs other player. The ladder meant that people where more vested in the game and the competition was fierce. In my opinion online play is the more satisfying of the two. I am not knocking you for playing single player. Its just my preference. I'll give you're vid a watch.

Oh, I totally get it! The AI can get a bit stale, and is flat out inept and ******ed at times. And I also totally get you on not getting the Matrix/Slitherine games. They're pretty much just milking CC fans with these new games. Sure, I love them, but come on... there are so many necessary improvements that should be made, and probably wouldn't even take that long to do...

But yeah, PvP is a different beast! I used to play CC4 a lot back in the days online via Gamespy Arcade, and still have very fond memories of it! :)

Well, I finally got around to watching the playthrough. For me its a good introduction to the series, it interesting to see how the campaign map works, since Ive never played the Matrix version. The game play, sprites, sounds etc seem pretty much the same as the Battle of the Bulge & Invasion Normandy versions.

What other military type games do you play? A few months ago I bought Order of Battle and played/finished the Finnish Campaign. It was good, but I got burnt out on it really fast. Right now I am playing or rather replaying 7.62mm High Calibre, small arms tactics game set in a fictional South American country you play as a merc. Its a bit long in the tooth ,2007, and the graphics show that, but as far as detail and combat (aiming, bullet penetration, body armor, wounds, implementation of being shocked, blinded or otherwise temporarily immobilized) its number one in my opinion for squad based tactical games. For instance, injuries don't get healed during battles you can just stop the bleeding along with the possibility of a squad member bleeding out. There is a possibility of critical hit which if it is your main character its game over. That is sort of a rogue like feature but one I like. One word of warning concering that game, it crashes...a lot. That is probably the biggest drawback, your forced to make quick save f5 your friend.

That does sound like an interesting game, I'll have to look into it! Might not be the best for a youtube playthrough tho, if it crashes a lot. :p

I play/have played a lot of these military type games, but if I were to list the most memorable five that first comes to mind, it would be Close Combat, Panzer Corps/Panzer General/Open General, Command & Conquer, Wages of War and... heh... World of Tanks :p

Top Bottom