Actic_Civ

Chieftain
I really like the Cocoa in Civ VI. It gives a nice amount of yields, makes my cities look nice and it's very common for it to be near my spawn. I know there are better luxery resource, but Cocoa is still nice.

Now, I have always wondered the conditions for the cocoa to spawn, which is why I made this thread. I need someone to help me understand where a Cocoa can Spawn in, can Cocoa spawn near desert/tundra tiles? What's the best place for it spawn near to? How common can you get Cocoa? What's the best wonder for it (I believe Chicken Itza is nice, +1 culture is really good but are there more)?

Cocoa tress spawn only in Jungle rain forests (which makes sense). There are multiple Luxuries that can spawn in rain forests but Cocoa seems to be the only one which is exclusively available there.

Thus you want to be near the equator or tropics of your world and have plenty of rain forests. It is mildly common depending on how many continents you have on your map.

If you want to boost it pick Goddess of Festivals ( +1 culture from Plantations) and build Chichen Itza (+2 Prod and + 1 culture to all rain forests within the city limits ) in a city with plenty of rain forests.

Cocoa tress spawn only in Jungle rain forests (which makes sense). There are multiple Luxuries that can spawn in rain forests but Cocoa seems to be the only one which is exclusively available there.

Thus you want to be near the equator or tropics of your world and have plenty of rain forests. It is mildly common depending on how many continents you have on your map.

If you want to boost it pick Goddess of Festivals ( +1 culture from Plantations) and build Chichen Itza (+2 Prod and + 1 culture to all rain forests within the city limits ) in a city with plenty of rain forests.
Thanks for the answers, but one thing I'm unsure of: I know that Cocoa spawns in Jungles, but can Cocoa spawn near tundra tiles? I have occasions where Cocoa spawned near desert tiles, and even though I'd want to show you the image it would be against the rules. But the question still remains, can Cocoa spawn near tundra tiles (When I mean near tundra tiles, I mean in plains close to tundra tiles)?

Thanks for the answers, but one thing I'm unsure of: I know that Cocoa spawns in Jungles, but can Cocoa spawn near tundra tiles? I have occasions where Cocoa spawned near desert tiles, and even though I'd want to show you the image it would be against the rules. But the question still remains, can Cocoa spawn near tundra tiles (When I mean near tundra tiles, I mean in plains close to tundra tiles)?
What rules? There are no rules against sharing screenshots, so long as it's on topic and not memes.

What rules? There are no rules against sharing screenshots, so long as it's on topic and not memes.
Well I did see a rule against posting images when you're a new user, but I don't see it anymore... Ok then, here's my playthrough of egypt:
1626978873988.png

Basically, there's rainforest tiles near deserts. And you can see the cocoa near the desert tiles too. They're not exactly on the desert tiles, but they're near it and that's good enough for me. So can the same thing happen with tundra tiles? Can rainforest that spawn in plain tiles be near the tundra tiles like the desert tiles?
The reason I'm asking this is because I want to play as Russia and I'm just wondering whether Russia's capital city can settle on tundra while also having access to cocoa and bananas.

The reason I'm asking this is because I want to play as Russia and I'm just wondering whether Russia's capital city can settle on tundra while also having access to cocoa and bananas.

There's no hard-or-fast rule for it (like the game doesn't have a rule saying "plains cannot spawn within X tiles of tundra). Rather, terrain generation is set on some complex formulas and obviously the size of the map will influence it as well.

There's no easy way to break down the terrain generation algorithm or plug in numbers, so your best bet is to just keep rolling some maps and see.

The Resource Generation of the Map relies on the already generated Map (based on Map Script or TSL/Worlbuilder Maps). In the example of Cocoa, the script checks for all the possible valid locations for Cocoa (Rainforest on Plains or PlainsHills) and scores all the Plots and picks the best ones as the spawn tiles for Cocoa (amount based on Continent Size). In your Screenshot, for some reason the PlainsHills tile adjacent to desert has scored enough to make Cocoa spawn on that Tile.

So it isn't like the Game has strict Rules on where exactly a resurce gonna spawn, i.e. near a specific Terrain or away from coast.

I've already started working on a Resource Picker Mod with many settings options, including the resource generation algorithm, but I don't think it would help in your case, as what you suggest is additional placement rules for the ressource, which requires changes in the ResourceGenerartion.Lua file.

If there are rainforests close to the tundra, Cocoa can spawn there. There is no set rule when and where, it will just pick from all eligible tiles in a good location, as Zegangani pointed out.

Oh, and you can use Maui in the Heroes and Legends mode to create additional Luxury resources before settling a location.

The Resource Generation of the Map relies on the already generated Map (based on Map Script or TSL/Worlbuilder Maps). In the example of Cocoa, the script checks for all the possible valid locations for Cocoa (Rainforest on Plains or PlainsHills) and scores all the Plots and picks the best ones as the spawn tiles for Cocoa (amount based on Continent Size). In your Screenshot, for some reason the PlainsHills tile adjacent to desert has scored enough to make Cocoa spawn on that Tile.

So it isn't like the Game has strict Rules on where exactly a resurce gonna spawn, i.e. near a specific Terrain or away from coast.

I've already started working on a Resource Picker Mod with many settings options, including the resource generation algorithm, but I don't think it would help in your case, as what you suggest is additional placement rules for the ressource, which requires changes in the ResourceGenerartion.Lua file.

If there are rainforests close to the tundra, Cocoa can spawn there. There is no set rule when and where, it will just pick from all eligible tiles in a good location, as Zegangani pointed out.

Oh, and you can use Maui in the Heroes and Legends mode to create additional Luxury resources before settling a location.
Thanks all. All I learnt was simply there's a chance of Cocoa spawning anywhere and it all depends on the score. I would say it would require a lot of luck for me to try and get cocoa near tundra tiles. But so far I have had cocoa spawn near a volcano while playing Rome, and that's what I really wanted for Rome to settle their city near to (A volcano because it's fitting for Rome and Cocoa because I like it), but rather I didn't expect it would be a cocoa near a volcano. I just thought I would have a volcano in my city and a cocoa far from the volcano but still have access to the cocoa, I hope this isn't too confusing.
1628109289612.png

I'm certain that I would hopefully be lucky enough to have a Cocoa near tundra tiles, I hope it's possible.

Cocoa needs warmth and humidity IRL so expecting it naturally to occur near tundra is unlikely.
Rather than rerolling a zillion times just add a couple of cocoa bushes in using worldbuilder before you start a game.
If you cannot be bothered, send me a sav that has no mods and tell me where you want them

Cocoa needs warmth and humidity IRL so expecting it naturally to occur near tundra is unlikely.
Rather than rerolling a zillion times just add a couple of cocoa bushes in using worldbuilder before you start a game.
If you cannot be bothered, send me a sav that has no mods and tell me where you want them
Well thanks. I have a cocoa spawn near the tundra but there's an issue, and that is how I spawn in the freakin coast and it takes me like 20 turns to go near the cocoa or the tundra. On the topic of you adding a map for me, I'm using so called 'mods' like the tech and shuffle mod, the aztec pack and gathering storm, that's about it really and I'm really unsure whether these are considered 'mods' but just giving you info, and another thing is that I use the Inland Seas map.
I appreciate you helping me out, nice forum altogether.

Last edited:
Hey, I can also add the cocoa if need be. Just post your save file turn 1 (preferably) and let us know with a screenshot where you want your cocoa to grow. :)

Hey, I can also add the cocoa if need be. Just post your save file turn 1 (preferably) and let us know with a screenshot where you want your cocoa to grow. :)
I'm starting the game right now. Thanks for the help, though I do want to know if this would affect my gameplay.

Nope, Victoria or me will simply edit your map and add Cocoa. Anything else will remain the same - map settings, game settings, civilizations, selected modes et cetera.

Ok then, here's my file:
RUSSIA.png

I will upload my save file too, but is there any thing I shall do before I upload it?
EDIT: My save file:

Attachments

• AutoSave_0001.Civ6Save
    565.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Uhh, not to bother anyone but how long does it take to create the edited save file? I mean I don't to rush anyone and I really don't wanna sound like I'm impatient but for curiosity's sake, how long does it take?

Ok I do want to ask something, is it possible to have 6 luxery resources next to each one? I remember I saw 6 of them next to each other but I didn't save it and this was from the standard version before I had GS. I have reloaded multiple times and I'm still struggling to find a good map, hell I don't want the cocoa as much anymore, I just want to find a good map with good tundra.
@Melliores if you would be so kind, I use 0 mods and have none downloaded.
Umm, what is that supposed to mean? Like the tech and shuffle won't work? No offense.

Uhh, not to bother anyone but how long does it take to create the edited save file? I mean I don't to rush anyone and I really don't wanna sound like I'm impatient but for curiosity's sake, how long does it take?
You open the save, you open Firetuner, you select cocoa I. Firetuner and click where you want to put in in the open game, then you save it and send it to you. The game is completely playable with no issues.
@Melliores was on yesterday about 12 hours ago but may not have been near a pc or was just too busy

You open the save, you open Firetuner, you select cocoa I. Firetuner and click where you want to put in in the open game, then you save it and send it to you. The game is completely playable with no issues.
@Melliores was on yesterday about 12 hours ago but may not have been near a pc or was just too busy
I remember playing games like Terraria & Dungeon Actions, there were times when the seed was unfair and I would edit it. It seems like this is the same case with Civ VI I believe, if so, I hope it doesn't corrupt my save file.
Thanks for the info, I thought it required messing with the files by editing the numbers but I guess that's not the case. Right?
I love you all.

Top Bottom