Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World | Colonial + Pre-Colonial civs

I'm sorry, what? Malacca and Malaysia are two completely different civs, lumping them together would be like lumping Arabia and Persia together. I think you're better off going one way or the other, not trying to put both together. If you're going to have the civ represent the Malacca Sultanate, call it as such, otherwise call it Malaysia and forget about Malacca altogether.

I'm sorry, what? You're over exaggerating. We're not pulling a Polynesia or a Celts, we're pulling an Ethiopia/Russia i.e having something from all the ages (Ethiopia covers everything from Ancient Ethiopia to Modernity).

I aim to include something from Singapura, Malacca, Malaysia and just general Malay Culture.

Anyway, he may look like a pirate, but as Scapegrace said previously:

Might have something to do with him, y'know, not being a pirate. Cap'n Para, for all that I call him that, had people to do his piracy for him, specifically the Orang Laut; tribes native to the Straits of Malacca that became fanatically loyal to the Sultanate of Malacca and were effectively made into a nation of privateers, plundering foreign trade routes (particularly Majapahit, with whom the good Cap'n had quite a staggering amount of beef) while protecting Malacca's trade fleets and those of their allies. It was this setup that allowed Malacca to flourish, and it bought them a lot of Chinese support; Parameswara gave gifts to the Chinese that awed even the Celestial Emperor (a Ming of some stripe or another, if memory serves) and afforded them the protection of the massive Chinese military structure. Yeah, Majapahit was less of a problem after all that.

Hope that explained some things! =]

Isn't it just as right as Gajah Mada being the leader of Indonesia? So, according to Firaxis standards, Parameswara would work :p Good to see another HQ Asian civ coming ;)

Isn't it just as right as Gajah Mada being the leader of Indonesia? So, according to Firaxis standards, Parameswara would work :p

Yet Indonesia's capital is Jakarta, which is why, if any precedents are to be followed, the capital should be switched to Kuala Lumpur.

Isn't it just as right as Gajah Mada being the leader of Indonesia? So, according to Firaxis standards, Parameswara would work :p Good to see another HQ Asian civ coming ;)

Well then the capital should be KL, as the capital of vanilla Indonesia is Jakarta, not Majaphit. Same as Ethiopia's capital being Addis Ababa and not Axum.

edit: ninja'd

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it, I'm more concerned about getting a solid civ design out that people want to consume. Does anyone want to rip the idea to shreds or at least discuss the mechanics?

Also we need new City-States - I'm thinking Lichtenstein and Luxembourg.

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it, I'm more concerned about getting a solid civ design out that people want to consume. Does anyone want to rip the idea to shreds or at least discuss the mechanics?

That's what it's here for

Remove 2 Asian city states and replace them with minor European cities? In a game already hounded by some aspects of the community for a eurocentric bias, I'd say thats a bad idea, especially with Vaduz, which hasn't accomplished anything.

I'd say Riyadh and Nassau.

Remove 2 Asian city states and replace them with minor European cities? In a game already hounded by some aspects of the community for a eurocentric bias, I'd say thats a bad idea, especially with Vaduz, which hasn't accomplished anything.

I'd say Riyadh and Nassau.

Criticises choices based upon ethnic incongruity
Proceeds to suggest two city-states which are ethnically incongruous
:p

Also, Vaduz already taken by Belgium.

Civ design seems pretty solid at least. They may have a problem of too mush growth/happiness abuse potentially, but that'd require to be tested really.

Criticises choices based upon ethnic incongruity
Proceeds to suggest two city-states which are ethnically incongruous
:p

Also, Vaduz already taken by Belgium.

Ahah, I wasn't criticising them for being non-Asian, just for being European and minor in a game already accused of being tilted towards Europe. If we'd want to replace 2 Asian CS's with Asian cities, which is fair enough, I'd go with Lahore and Phnom Penh.

Ahah, I wasn't criticising them for being non-Asian, just for being European and minor in a game already accused of being tilted towards Europe. If we'd want to replace 2 Asian CS's with Asian cities, which is fair enough, I'd go with Lahore and Phnom Penh.

Yeah, I know - I just found the tone of my reply more amusing than to accept your point :)

But yeah - city-states should ideally be replaced with similar city-states, because it's currently not possible/not known how to change the City-State music; which means the Asian styled music that plays will be there no matter the replacement.

Yeah, I know - I just found the tone of my reply more amusing than to accept your point :)

But yeah - city-states should ideally be replaced with similar city-states, because it's currently not possible/not known how to change the City-State music; which means the Asian styled music that plays will be there no matter the replacement.

Oh, weird, I didn't realise that, I'd definitely go with Phnom Penh and Lahore in that case. (unless the music set doesn't fit India, I cant remember how many music sets there are, but I can't imagine there's a separate one for east Asia vs south Asia, given the art styles are the same.)

Speaking of, any chance of replacing Sydney with someone other than Montevideo, given there are 3 Montevideos now, and how different the two cities are. I'd say Wellington makes the most sense.

Oh, weird, I didn't realise that, I'd definitely go with Phnom Penh and Lahore in that case. (unless the music set doesn't fit India, I cant remember how many music sets there are, but I can't imagine there's a separate one for east Asia vs south Asia, given the art styles are the same.)

Actually, IIRC, all City-States have their own, unique 10~ second tune.

Somebody should already release Uruguay civ just to make the Montevideo triangle explode.

Wellington's already a city-state. The Australia I have has replaced Sydney with Honiara (just took a few tweaks to make it display properly in-game) and Melbourne with Dubai, which is the only troublesome one.

Malacca's music is a little gamelan tune I think. Sounds less chime-y than gamelan, so it could fit elsewhere. I have no idea what Kuala Lumpur's jingle is, because vanilla city-state music's location is a mystery. Embedded deep within a packaged file or something, most likely.

Overall, I like this Malaysia idea.

Some elements may need some tuning, but I think it's pretty decent already.

Top Bottom