• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World | Colonial + Pre-Colonial civs

What's wrong with that? French is an awesome language! I hope to someday fluently speak it. :D

I do fluently speak it, living in the middle of it as I do. I don't mind French - it is a remarkably fun language to speak with a girl whether she speaks French or not - but when I switch to English, I don't want to be falling over the same words I just tuned out in my head!
It's like switching between Italian and Spanish, you keep running into the exact words that you just mentally told yourself not to register. At least French and English sound different most of the time.

I do fluently speak it, living in the middle of it as I do. I don't mind French - it is a remarkably fun language to speak with a girl whether she speaks French or not - but when I switch to English, I don't want to be falling over the same words I just tuned out in my head!
It's like switching between Italian and Spanish, you keep running into the exact words that you just mentally told yourself not to register. At least French and English sound different most of the time.

I find myself opposing you in this, Civitar, at least when I was learning German. I found the similarities between it and English helped bridge the gap between the two languages. I get that switching languages on the fly can be a touch confusing, which is probably why I don't often do it mid-conversation.

You live around Geneva/Genève/Genf then? I've always wanted to go there... 'cause chocolate + cheese + French + Alps + Switzerland is just awesome overall, I'm sure. :(

I think English is a boring language seeing how I have to speak it everyday, except for Old Ænglisc whose absurdity is fun to laugh at, I think. Like, look at this sample text, which is taken from the wiki page about snakes with the old English language option.
Spoiler :
Snacan sind langlice, sceanlēase, flǣscetenda āðexan þæs unsderhādes Serpentes þe cann wesan geset gesundrod fram sceanclēasum āðexum þurh heora þearf ēaghringa and ūtweardra ēarena. Gelīce eallum scielledum āðexum sind snacan ūtanhātod, innoþfilmened hrycgdēor geþeaht mid oferlicgendum sciellum. Manig cynn snacena habbaþ hēafodbollan mid manigum mārum bānhlocum þonne āðexan, þe lǣtþ hīe tō swelgenne hȳðdēor swīðe māran þonne heora hēafdas mid swīðe wegendlicum ceafle. Tō lǣtenne heora nearu līc, snacena twinlicu līcdǣl (swelce cropas) standaþ ān ætforan ōðrum on stede ǣlc be ōðrum, and þæt mǣste dǣl snacena habbaþ efne āne wyrcende lungene. Sumu cynn healdaþ nafelbeltbān mid twinnesse unnyttra clāwa on ǣlcre sīde þæs earses.

Just... what?

Anyway, I think we're getting extremely off topic... what were we talking about before? Something about the Honor tree?

You live around Geneva/Genève/Genf then? I've always wanted to go there... 'cause chocolate + cheese + French + Alps + Switzerland is just awesome overall, I'm sure. :(

I think English is a boring language seeing how I have to speak it everyday, except for Old Ænglisc whose absurdity is fun to laugh at, I think. Like, look at this sample text, which is taken from the wiki page about snakes with the old English language option.
Spoiler :
Snacan sind langlice, sceanlēase, flǣscetenda āðexan þæs unsderhādes Serpentes þe cann wesan geset gesundrod fram sceanclēasum āðexum þurh heora þearf ēaghringa and ūtweardra ēarena. Gelīce eallum scielledum āðexum sind snacan ūtanhātod, innoþfilmened hrycgdēor geþeaht mid oferlicgendum sciellum. Manig cynn snacena habbaþ hēafodbollan mid manigum mārum bānhlocum þonne āðexan, þe lǣtþ hīe tō swelgenne hȳðdēor swīðe māran þonne heora hēafdas mid swīðe wegendlicum ceafle. Tō lǣtenne heora nearu līc, snacena twinlicu līcdǣl (swelce cropas) standaþ ān ætforan ōðrum on stede ǣlc be ōðrum, and þæt mǣste dǣl snacena habbaþ efne āne wyrcende lungene. Sumu cynn healdaþ nafelbeltbān mid twinnesse unnyttra clāwa on ǣlcre sīde þæs earses.

Just... what?

Anyway, I think we're getting extremely off topic... what were we talking about before? Something about the Honor tree?

There was something about awesome statues.

@CorimKnight: I'm learning German, and I do find the similarity of the words helpful to learning the language, the same way that learning French was greatly facilitated by my already being fluent in Italian (Italian, as the French Swiss say, is just French with all the syllables pronounced and hands waving - for Italians to learn French, they need only learn to mumble). But when, for example, I am in a group speaking French and English, I often stumble around and hopelessly tangle my tongue and train of thought because nearly identical words in both languages - for example terrain, French for "field" and "terrain", can seriously make it difficult to communicate to my dad how to get to a soccer field in the mountains, as they talk about the terrain being on the other side of some steep terrain.

@AW: I live pretty close to Geneva, yes... and there is much, much more to Switzerland than those... try French girls, all kinds of wine, clean air, money, education, castles, guns, militia, skiing, mountain lakes, sailboat racing...
I love my country.

My neighbors all think French is a boring old language and English is so awesome to know! But at least they have a legitimate reason to want to know English what with American world domination and all...
Aaaah... now that is the original English! 1065 vintage...

Old English etymology is strange and base and I find it distasteful. Modern English's heritage is mongrel out of our sheer power on the global stage; we take what words we want and we make you speak our language.

All this has made me quite livid. I shall now drink some tea and compose a stiff letter to the local newspaper.

Old English etymology is strange and base and I find it distasteful. Modern English's heritage is mongrel out of our sheer power on the global stage; we take what words we want and we make you speak our language.

All this has made me quite livid. I shall now drink some tea and compose a stiff letter to the local newspaper.

This simultaneously made me want to reply with (a) a blistering retort concerning how much longer English will be on the global stage, (b) a snort of derision concerning your narrow-mindedness, and (c) a whale of a belly-laugh.
All things considered, I'll just cough myself into silence for tonight.
After remarking that the Old English, or Anglo-Saxon if you prefer, was a barbaric language of British barbarians, while Modern English is the product of the arrival of civilization to those misty isles.

I wasn't being entirely serious. You might have been able to tell from the sentence at the end, but do go on; doubtless the hectoring lecture of a Swiss with a Viking hat about seemingly the only language that isn't an official language of Switzerland will be fascinating. And entirely on-topic to boot.

=]

Ohh, linguistics discussion!

I would much rather American English adapt to English from across the pond/across the corner/across the globe, but that's the beauty of language. It evolves depending on its environs and speakers and while it can be at times confusing, nonsensical, or weird, it's still a pretty awesome thing. I will say though that if I had to suddenly spell "maneuver" as "manoeuvre" then that would just cause me all sorts of trouble and frustration because that isn't the way I learned it and my way was better, dagnabbit.

The passage of Old English AggressiveWimp brought up is fun to read! It reminds me of what today we would know as Icelandic, especially with characters such as þ and ð. If I remember correctly, þ is the "th" sound in English today.

Old English is fun but if you've ever had to read and speak Middle English because of "The Canterbury Tales", that's a good time to be had!

Spoiler :
Whan that aprill with his shoures soote
The droghte of march hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licour
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Whan zephirus eek with his sweete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
Tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the ram his halve cours yronne,
And smale foweles maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open ye
(so priketh hem nature in hir corages);
Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrimages,
And palmeres for to seken straunge strondes,
To ferne halwes, kowthe in sondry londes;
And specially from every shires ende
Of engelond to caunterbury they wende,
The hooly blisful martir for to seke,
That hem hath holpen whan that they were seeke.
Bifil that in that seson on a day,
In southwerk at the tabard as I lay
Redy to wenden on my pilgrymage
To caunterbury with ful devout corage,
At nyght was come into that hostelrye
Wel nyne and twenty in a compaignye,
Of sondry folk, by aventure yfalle
In felaweshipe, and pilgrimes were they alle,
That toward caunterbury wolden ryde.
The chambres and the stables weren wyde,
And wel we weren esed atte beste.
And shortly, whan the sonne was to reste,
So hadde I spoken with hem everichon
That I was of hir felaweshipe anon,
And made forward erly for to ryse,
To take oure wey ther as I yow devyse.
But nathelees, whil I have tyme and space,
Er that I ferther in this tale pace,
Me thynketh it acordaunt to resoun
To telle yow al the condicioun
Of ech of hem, so as it semed me,
And whiche they weren, and of what degree,
And eek in what array that they were inne;
And at a knyght than wol I first bigynne.

Anyway, I'm super excited to see what new resources are voted in and to play the pack when it is released (hopefully soon given the acknowledgments/thanks posted a page or so ago). I can't wait to harvest the opium/poppies in my game to make poppy seed bagels.

So... Zimbabwe?

Zimbabwe! :cool:

One false move, Zimbabwe.

Anyways my proposal

Zimbabwe
UA: Unity, Freedom, Work- Cities connected to the Capital gain +1 :c5food:, and during golden ages 1% :c5production:
UU: Ndebele Warrior (Rifleman) Doesn't receive "Empire Unhappy" Modifiers and gains combat bonus against civs with Occupied or puppeted Zimbabwe Cities
UB: Zimbabwe (Castle) More expensive, but stronger Castle bonus increases per worked source of stone in the city

Zimbabwe? Zimbabwe!

I've always loved their colors!

The idea has been Pangolinized. You may expect massive amounts of downloads.

Hypegrace is hyped for Zimbabwe. Possibly because I worked on the theory for Zimbabwe back when I was a tiny wee nublet. Not that I'm vain or anything...

Also, I can't recall the exact name for the UU, but doesn't RS's Rhodesia use the Selous Scout? =]

Oh that's a very zimbabwean zimbabwe that you've had zimbabwed there.

On a more... coherent note. Are those Selous Scouts? Because those kind feel odd as an UU for Zimbabwe, partly because they are much more a Rhodesian thing and partly because the other features make me think more about the Ancient Kingdom of Zimbabwe, granted though, that wouldn't fit so much the Colonist Legacy theme, but having the Selous Scouts feels wrong here, somehow.

Top Bottom