Colour Question, and Terrain 2 oddity

frunobulax

High Sheriff of Catford
I'm working on a new scenario, 'Foundation and Empire', based on Asimov's 'Foundation' novels (it's my first scen. ever) and I have a quick quesion.

How can you modify the colour that a certain Civ has - i.e. the 'Empire' in F+E is that yellow-orange colour (the default that the English-Greeks-Carthaginians have - see pic below of Trantor).

I wanted to lighten it to a bright yellow, to match their 'Sun & Spaceship' emblem (see below)...

Where does one do this - I'm guessing it's in the Icons file ? But whereabouts exactly on there - is it that small box of colours, bottom left ?

Or is this a No no ? I tried before and Civ2 severely froze up on me when I relaunched :(

Okay, back to the drawing board...

- - -

Just a note for other (Mac) designers - Kobayashi's Guide "Alternative uses for Terrain2" doesn't seem to relate well on a Mac, apparently. I had to remap the Mountain squares slightly to get that Nebula effect (see below) - anyone else come across this ? Just wondered if this was a mac bug... seems that certain squares are the same, but others not (the Nebula terrain effect below is a

4 13

formation, as opposed to Koby's notes which say

7 10

... it's like the Mac one is just rotated 90 degrees clockwise... weird !

Attachments

• trantor.gif
    trantor.gif
    16.6 KB · Views: 146
The colour of tribes is controlled in the cities.bmp.

There are two colours per tribe, one comes from a particular pixel on the flags(bottom left), this is typically visible as it is different from the rest of the flag. The second colour is controled by the bar of colour on top of the flags.

here's the pic. from koby's Terrain2 Guide...

Attachments

• alt_terr2_koby.gif
    alt_terr2_koby.gif
    97.4 KB · Views: 133
and here's how it seems to work on my Mac !

Attachments

• alt_terr2_mac.gif
    alt_terr2_mac.gif
    79.8 KB · Views: 126
Originally posted by kobayashi

There are two colours per tribe, one comes from a particular pixel on the flags(bottom left), this is typically visible as it is different from the rest of the flag. The second colour is controled by the bar of colour on top of the flags.

Thanks kobayashi :)

The pixel in question for the flag is 4 pixels over and 5 down from the upper left corner.
Here's a blow up of a flag. The teal dot is the one that controls the shield color on units.

Attachments

• flag.gif
    flag.gif
    808 bytes · Views: 126
Fruno, terrain 2 works exactly the same on PCs and macs, in fact the only thing that separetes the mac and PC version is the sound and graphics formats.
Otherwise the hills in PC scenarios would look wierd on our machines, which they don't ;)

If you are having problems it's something else thats wrong (don't know what it might be though).

Originally posted by Henrik
Fruno, terrain 2 works exactly the same on PCs and macs, in fact the only thing that separetes the mac and PC version is the sound and graphics formats.
Otherwise the hills in PC scenarios would look wierd on our machines, which they don't ;)

If you are having problems it's something else thats wrong (don't know what it might be though).

I guess you're right ! I just wonder what it is ? Hope my new scenario isn't gonna look weird elsewhere ?

I'm just using a modified version of Koby's terrain2 from Star Wars Insurrection as a strater, and have added in some variant terrains like the Horsehead Nebula, the Moon etc :) , nothing else...

Attachments

• fruno%27sterrain2.gif
    fruno%27sterrain2.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 97

p.s. regarding the numbering - maybe Mac works differently, or you numbered the squares differently. Anyway as long as you have figured out how it works on your Mac, that's all that matters.

I thought you would go and check after my post. Anyway, I went to check my article myself. In that article, the tiles are numbered up down then left right. If you numbered them left to right athen up down (and you obviously did) then you would get the result you got.

I went to check my article myself. In that article, the tiles are numbered up down then left right. If you numbered them left to right athen up down (and you obviously did) then you would get the result you got.

Thanks Koby, your exactly right, I just checked ! I completely overlooked the way you'd numbered the tiles in your article... I did do mine as :

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Oh well, I guess it works either way :)

Top Bottom