Combat Quiz #12

Victoria

Regina
Supporter
Which unit will the Scythian archer shoot at? More importantly, why?
upload_2019-8-15_14-27-12.png

Spoiler :
The Damaged Archer on the hill.The AI appears to target the lowest modified unit strength, if 2 are equal, it will choose the damaged one.

Last edited:
This is incredibly useful, thank you!

Question: when choosing targets, does the AI consider a ranged unit's melee strength or ranged strength? For example, given the choice between attacking a warrior (20 melee strength unmodified) or an archer (15 melee/25 ranged strength unmodified), which unit does the AI choose? My hypothesis is that it's the archer since the 15 melee strength would be used for the defender's combat strength calculation.

Also, I'd be curious to know if the AI uses the same algorithm when fighting in the field vs. when fortified.

This is incredibly useful, thank you!

Question: when choosing targets, does the AI consider a ranged unit's melee strength or ranged strength? For example, given the choice between attacking a warrior (20 melee strength unmodified) or an archer (15 melee/25 ranged strength unmodified), which unit does the AI choose? My hypothesis is that it's the archer since the 15 melee strength would be used for the defender's combat strength calculation.

Also, I'd be curious to know if the AI uses the same algorithm when fighting in the field vs. when fortified.
Melee (combat) strength is used for all targets.
Fighting in the field is harder to test, how about look at each combat, assess and get back to me? (Payback)... From what I have seen in the field over the last few years it has been consistent. The only thing to add is if there are multiple parties it make no difference untilnthe strengths are equal, then it chooses the human player.

And yes, I have found this incredibly useful over the last year of playing.

Last edited:
I was thinking the archer to the NW of the damaged archer on the hill because an archer can't see through the hill in between? Though a city could? TBH, I often get screwed by the visibility rules. It sometimes seems like archers can shoot around a hill and other times not.

Also, would the most damaged Hetairoi (westernmost) get a support bonus for the purposes of the AI's calculation?

Though a city could?
Hey fellow kiwi, welcome to the site. If you look at the bottom of this post there are links to some guides I have written. One is LOS which should answer your question.
Also, would the most damaged Hetairoi (westernmost) get a support bonus for the purposes of the AI's calculation?
Once again the guide on flanking and support is worth a read rather than giving you a simple answer, only takes a couple of minutes.

Top Bottom