[Col] combats

Hey, I did the hex editing to fix the streak bug, and it seems it worked. But now, I am facing a bug I've never seen before, and I wonder if its the result of fixing the streak bug.

Every time I start a game in "new world", it loads the exact same map. Placement of Europeans varies, but the map and Indian placement is exactly the same. Is this caused by hex editing viceroy.exe?

EDIT: Should have googled the problem first, since the answer to that question is yes, it does cause this problem. Solution: two copies of the file. Start with the regular version to build maps, save, exit, and start the game from the fixed copy of the file.

Unfortunately this fix is too crude. In addition to generating the same map consistently, there are other bugs, that you cannot avoid by having two .exes, at least:

Sometimes when you load your game, you will be greeted with a message from the King of Spain offering you two dragoons for 4000 gold, which makes no sense. The message seems to be out of place, gold isn't substracted from your treasury etc.. and the game will show combat occuring between other europeans in areas that are covered by fog of war. With original viceroy, the same save loads without problems.

Town layout gets randomized each time you open the town screen, which doesn't happen without the fix.

Given those, it seems that the original code expects the original behaviour, and not that of this fix. Which could result in all kinds of bugs.

Top Bottom