Communitas map script

Hooray!! :)

Group hug.:D

No...:blush: Only me...:(

Anyway. Good job all. Now some happy gaming.:D

@albie_123
I agree. This was a bug with a core function I've used very frequently over the past 2 years, so it's good to identify the problem and solve it. I would be surprised we never noticed it before, but I usually used the (min distance, max distance) format, which actually worked. It's the other format I used less often that had the bug. :)

I created 3 huge maps after rebuilding the project and did not see any adjacent oases, so the bug should hopefully be fixed now.

Looks much better. Some big open deserts but no bad starts, and enough oases to make the interior of deserts interesting. :) Frustrating about the bonus resource placement but understandable considering you can't do anything about it.

I've considered improving bonus resource placement for a long time. I did it for strategic resources years ago. The problem is the map creation code's hard to work with. It would take days of effort to rewrite the code, and probably wouldn't change the game much. It's always been on my wishlist.

I do stuff on my wishlist when I feel extra motivated, or discover some easy new way to accomplish tasks I thought would be difficult. Ocean rifts were in that category. I'm glad I finally got it done. I realized I could just copy the algorithm from my map script I made for Civ 4. :)

Nice. One problem out of the way then? :) :thumbsup:

Strategic resource placement I imagine would be next on the wishlist for maps.

Bonus tile placement would be interesting, but it sounds low priority. I settle for bonus tiles at least being useful for now.

A separate file, AssignStartingPlots controls strategic resource placement for all maps. I plan on adapting this to BNW soon. I expect it won't be too hard, since BNW probably didn't change map generation much compared to G&K.

Sorry to bug you again but it seems like the map is generating rivers along lakes. See the attached screenshot (sorry about the quality, I was in fullscreen). I used Ingame Editor to check and it seems like the jungle tile left of the warrior has a river along the lake (bottom left) and the jungle tile bottom left of the warrior has a river along the lake (bottom left).

However, I don't think this has any functional problems (and is low priority) as lakes provide freshwater anyway and crossing into the lake will take all your movement too. The only reason I had noticed was because of the visual error (I did not notice the second instance of the river lake in the screenshot).

Attachments

• 5-1.jpg
    5-1.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 280
I got similar errors last map but wasn't sure if that was just a weird bug.

It seems to me the issue is that some rivers have their source and their mouth the wrong way round graphically.

We can have one of these options:

A. Rivers can flow into lakes, then continue to other lakes, eventually reaching the ocean (like the Great Lakes).
B. Rivers flow to a lake, then stop, never reaching the ocean even if it's 1 tile away.
C. No lakes appear on the map.

The original designer of the map chose C, zero lakes. I tried B a while, but I think it looks weirder than A. We get gigantic Nile-like rivers stopping just short of the ocean to drain into a tiny lake, which never connects to the ocean nearby.

I might be able to check if two adjacent vertices of a river both touch the same body of water... not sure.

Here's some cool examples of lakes draining into oceans. I really like this. I just wish the Civ art team had done it a little better:

A is obviously the best realistically, but it's a shame it has to look like it does. It's nowhere near as jarring as the effect the Oases had but it's still not great... hm.

In my opinion, the rivers being placed in a more realistic way is worth the odd look, since it's not too bad. But I can fully understand why people would dislike it.

It seems like this causes weirdness when the river goes along one edge of the lake, then stops. It's okay if it stops as soon as it hits the lake, or continues past the lake without stopping. I can probably check for the edge-then-stop situation to make it one of the other two.

It seems like this causes weirdness when the river goes along one edge of the lake, then stops. It's okay if it stops as soon as it hits the lake, or continues past the lake without stopping. I can probably check for the edge-then-stop situation to make it one of the other two.

Yeah, it seems like in my case the river didn't continue past the lake. I don't have a problem with the rivers running along the lake to drain into the ocean, it actually looks pretty cool.

Was this something you added recently? I'm not sure I noticed this effect when playing the map before.

I'm relatively certain it was added, I hadn't seen it before. This is fast turning into one of the best map generators I've ever seen for Civilization!

Just having some lakes around is of use (more freshwater bonuses, helps Aztecs, good realism flavor, etc). I like it.

Did you guys just see what happened there? :eek::crazyeye:

An apparent 'bug' showed up and was reported, only to be revealed as an addition.
Then after some discussion everyone agrees that the map is really good and all say "lets move on to other things".

I bet Thal wishes all forum discussions were like that.

Top Bottom