Computer players don't grow on EARTH

Rowie007

Chieftain
I like to play the default earth map, usually on King level, and it seems that some civilisations never grow beyond their first city. I suspect their AI tells them not to build settlers until they get to a certain population and their starting location will never grow that big.

Anyone else notice this? The civs in question are: Egypt, Mongols, China - don't know about the others.

Never noticed this. I mean, sometimes the AI does this... but rarely one per game. Never ALL the civs. What version of civ1 do you use?

It happens on the Earth map. If I start a game on the Earth map at King level of difficulty - pick Russia as a country for example.

If the Chinese are in the game, they will never build a settler or make a second city. They build military units and send them all the way over to bother me, but never expand beyond Peking.

Same goes for the Mongols and Egyptians. It only happens on the Earth map - on other maps they play fine.

Rowie007 said:
It happens on the Earth map. If I start a game on the Earth map at King level of difficulty - pick Russia as a country for example.

If the Chinese are in the game, they will never build a settler or make a second city. They build military units and send them all the way over to bother me, but never expand beyond Peking.

Same goes for the Mongols and Egyptians. It only happens on the Earth map - on other maps they play fine.

The Chinese aren't a suprised. I've been watching them for years acting odd. But the Mongols and the Egyptians? Hey yeah, I've never noticed them on EARTH get any bigger.

Try Alt - R at the start of your game (that might fit it).

Randomizes the AIs personalities. So they do different things.

And yeah, I just remememememberd this big land war I had in Asia this one time. It was with the Chinese and they definitely had more then one city. ;)

There is a reason for this:

chiense on earth is surrounded by plains, and can only go up to 2 pop max, hence will never produce enough top produce a settlers.

they usually go for granaries/city walls being a builder civ..

art R might help them to produce a few miliatry units

Rowie007 said:

If you play with the Babylonians and try to defend the Suez Canal so no other computer players can attack the Egyptians, then the Egyptians starts to expand in Africa after a while, and they grow strong quite fast.

Top Bottom