Condensed tips for beginners?

Hi all...thanks for all the work put in over the years... Just started playing civ4 bts again...had it since it come out...was never as successful as i wanted to be... Everything here inn the past 125 Pages was so helpful ... I read every one took a few days lol... But wow...just wow my game play is improving by leaps n bounds...

Thanks, Poppy

Hey guys, this might be a stupid question, but 125 pages of posts isn't really all that condensed anymore and since the War Academy has an update from 2017 saying that everything is horribly outdated, I'm wondering if there is a guide somewhere that can bring me up to speed?

I have thousands of hours in this game, but after a break of probably 4 years, I have forgotten... like... everything. I seem to remember that SE is better than CE and that binary research is superior and that it's generally a good idea to get riflemen before everyone else and then steamroll the world, but that's about it. Is there a guide somewhere that is still up to date? Not just beginner stuff, but also advanced stuff. For example, on what to build in which city, and so on. I gut the PDF guide here, but... I don't have that much faith in a document that treats BTS as optional or a 'recent update' somehow :D

Last edited:
Thank you! That was a little too basic, though, I'm afraid. To be honest, I have no idea, how advanced I am as a play, what I want to know is what strategy to use on noble / prince / higher and if SE is still the best way to go and what to build where, etc. I seem to remember, for example, that building wonders of different types in your capital may produce the wrong GP, etc. stuff like that.

Thank you! That was a little too basic, though, I'm afraid. To be honest, I have no idea, how advanced I am as a play, what I want to know is what strategy to use on noble / prince / higher and if SE is still the best way to go and what to build where, etc. I seem to remember, for example, that building wonders of different types in your capital may produce the wrong GP, etc. stuff like that.

The guide sampsa linked is still a work in process - a very recent undertaking by one of the best players here...and a fine lady. For more advanced stuff, I can't really think of a definitive guide for you. It's more a series of various articles in the articles subforum here. Check the articles subforum under this forum and look for the article tiles starting with "Civ Illustrated #..". I think there are four of them and cover diplomacy (AI coding), economy, city specialization, etc. These works are relatively recent.

In a brief answer to your questions though, it has been long proven that the "hybrid" economy is the best approach. In other words both cottages and great folks are not mutually exclusive or neglected. A strong cottage bureau cap is generally always best.

Another option is to watch some Let's Plays on YT. Guys like Lain and AbsoluteZero have put out a lot of vids mainly playing Deity. And while Deity, watching a bit will give you a good feel of things.

Lastly, a highly recommended option is to play a shadow game here on this forum using normal settings (no huts/events). Folks here will be glad to help you out.

Thank you! I will do that. Let's Plays sound like fun, too. Just one question: What is a shadow game?

Thank you! I will do that. Let's Plays sound like fun, too. Just one question: What is a shadow game?

It's basically a game a player starts on the forum specifically for the purpose of learning. Post a game up with normal map/settings (and no huts/events) and play small turnsets. The early game is the most important aspect of Civ IV so you can pick up some really good pointers in that regard, even if you don't play the whole game as a shadow. Pangaea is recommended for simplicity and diplo. Get help from Turn 0 - start analysis and settling decision. Then get advice and discuss before each 5 to 10 turn turnset - although note that you don't need to hold to a specific number of turns. 5 to 10 turns is a guideline. Basically stop whenever you feel like it or have questions, but short turnsets work best.

Rather than Riflemen, fast moving units (horses, knights, cuirassiers, or Cavalry (unlocked by Rifling)) are generally the way to go.
Oracle Civil Service if you can. Get something good from Liberalism.

Join us in Game of the Month (or Hall of Fame).
http://gotm.civfanatics.net/

I'm wondering does anyone have old Seraiel's guides saved up?
Are they available somewhere online?
The pictures are gone from his topics on this forum.

Last edited:
Do I have to be in a certain religion to be able to ask a civ to convert to it?

I went CoL and I got a few Taoist missionaries spreading religion to Suri's cities.
He's in buddhism atm.
Organized religion.

I cannot ask him to convert in the diplo screen (it's not that he refuses, I cannot ask him at all).
How come?

And that reminds me of a similar question, what are the requirements to be able to ask a civ to switch their civics? I noticed at times there is no option to do that, either.
I don't think it's 5 turns since the last revolt situation.

Yes, you must be in the religion.

you must be in that civic too

I want to write some rules of thumb. New players just want to beat noble. More helpful than "it depends". Expert feedback welcome.

1. Settle in place.

2. Worker first.

3. Do not found Buddhism or Hinduism.

4. Research techs (only) as needed to work basic capital tiles (agriculture, animal husbandry, fishing, hunting, mining). Do not need fishing if no fish.

5. Research bronze working.

6. Chop all forests.

7. Locate new cities to immediately work a "food source" (corn, rice, wheat, pig, sheep, cow, deer, fish, clam, crab):
a) EITHER food source in the first 9 tiles
b) OR take a food source tile from an existing city

8. Research animal husbandry.

9. Warriors are weak:
9a. If horses and copper nearby, found a city with that resource in the first 9 tiles. Research the wheel and hook it up.
9b. If no horses and copper, research archery.

10. Around one worker per city.

11. More settlers / workers / military. Fewer buildings. Most buildings are useless for most cities.

12. Restrict yourself to ONE ancient-era wonder (Stonehenge, Pyramids, Oracle, Great Lighthouse, Great Wall, Temple of Artemis), or none.

One advice that kind of seems kind of vague but very relevant to this game:

"Don't have tunnel vision!"

Most new players are taught to have a plan and play the map which is fine and definitely sound advice but sometimes they get stuck with a very particular plan even though there may be better things to do given the circumstances. For instance, one may be so focused on getting Liberalism first that they may not notice Shaka and Monty on their borders plotting war on them and massing armies on their borders. Or one may be so focused on building wonders because they are Industrious and have Stone but they would gain more by REXing a huge area west of their capital that is full of resources. It's important to assess your game from a wide field every couple of turns to make sure you're not missing the forest from the trees! Even as a more intermediate player, I've been a victim of having tunnel vision and missing something that should have been obvious in many games.

Ignore the Temple of Artemis. You really want an AI to build it for your future trade missions. If you build it, the AI will get the benefit. Only use it for fail gold. I have never EVER completed it.

Watch the pace of settling new cities. If new players have come from Civ3 (unlikely in 2020), they will be used to expanding too fast for Civ4 and will crash their economy. If new players are coming from Civ5 (because they've heard that Civ4 is a better game), they may be used to expanding too slowly and miss out on good city locations.

Top Bottom