Connecting loyalty to culture output

Blackwolf803

Chieftain
When R&F introduced loyalty, I was hyped to have a mechanic again like in civ IV where cities come under non violent pressure from neighbours. Over time I did feel it needed some changes, that's what this post is about.

My idea is to have loyalty pressure not depend on the size of the cities population but rather on the culture output of the city. A stronger culture instills a larger loyalty in a city rather then it having a lot of people in it. The loyalty pressure would still suffer from dark age and golden age modifiers like it does now, and policies etc.

This has the added benefit of making culture a more important yield, where now science is king in most games. Pure science focussed civs will suffer at the hands of less technologically advanced but more cultured neighbours.

I'm curious what anybody else thinks on the subject of loyalty and perhaps integrating culture with it.

It has to be balanced quite well. I want loyalty mechanics tied to culture per turn as well.It would make culture much more important.
I was really excited about loyalty feature and even though I still like it but I don enjoy it as much as I thought I would so I do want to change how it works currently.
PS: There is an ideas and suggestions section in this forum.This post is fit for that section. :thumbsup:

Woops, am I able to move the thread myself? else I would like to call upon a moderator to do it.

When R&F introduced loyalty, I was hyped to have a mechanic again like in civ IV where cities come under non violent pressure from neighbours. Over time I did feel it needed some changes, that's what this post is about.

My idea is to have loyalty pressure not depend on the size of the cities population but rather on the culture output of the city. A stronger culture instills a larger loyalty in a city rather then it having a lot of people in it. The loyalty pressure would still suffer from dark age and golden age modifiers like it does now, and policies etc.

This has the added benefit of making culture a more important yield, where now science is king in most games. Pure science focussed civs will suffer at the hands of less technologically advanced but more cultured neighbours.

I'm curious what anybody else thinks on the subject of loyalty and perhaps integrating culture with it.

It's a good idea. Better than the current loyalty = people approach.

It still leaves a lot to be desired (I conquer a city and now suddenly it's culture is my culture???). Both culture and loyalty suffer from the "all your people are the same" mentality of Civ 6.

I do think the two should be better integrated, but the key point of deciding how to integrate them for me is the treatment of captured cities. Two or more culturally distinct people can co-habitate in a unified political empire, but that type of empire looks and feels, and therefore (to my mind) should play differently than a relatively homogenous nation. Moving from conquered people to satisfied minority to part of a melting pot empire is one possible approach the game could take, and if it did, then the loyalty and culture rules would need to be tweaked to support it.

But as a simpler tweak, yes, your approach is better to my mind.

I agree. On the simplest level, the mechanic could be something like

Population x Culture = Loyalty

?

I would like tying loyalty to culture as well. I was also a big fan of displaying the percentage of cultures of the populations in IV (making rebellion/flips more likely) and I also really like III's "every citizen has a defined culture" which influenced that culture flip mechanic. I really want citizens to go back to having their culture more defined rather than just being collection units. Citizens have their own individual religions which is nice, now we just need them to have cultures as well, which could be the basis for loyalty. Higher cultural output could create a cultural pressure onto other cities representing the import/export of a culture (somewhat abstractly) through the adoption of local/nearby languages, the meshing of traditions, and immigration.

I am for propaganda perks, charges on priests, and district related loyalty projects.
Culural related could be but not global output related, that can't be, it's unrealistic because each city acts and thinks differently...
unless loyalty could be transported with trade routes like science or food, I see a much more feasible route
have some suppression/consent/propaganda ability given to special/support units, unique units/normal spies/priests.

Some government or particular cultures could have a buff to consent/propaganda multiplier, so the idea could work alongside the propaganda/charges/projects/perks thing.

Top Bottom