"Connecting"

Lostman

Thread Killer
I just got this game a few days ago and I can't turn it off!!! I host a First Person Shooter site and spend more time on this game than I do on any of the games I host!!! Crazy.

Anyway, this may sound like a stupid question, but with the manual being as thick as War & Peace, How do you connect with your resources?

I can connect to Ivery & Iron by sending a worker there to build a camp. But how do I take advantage of some of the others like Wheat, horses, cattle and whatnot? I've been building cities on them but that seems to be too much.

Any help?

You must build a road to the resource to be able to use it. The road (and harbor / airport connection, if applicable) must connect to your capitol in order to include it in your trade options.

Be careful about building colonies on resources - if anybody builds a city next to it, you lose it! Better to build a city there as soon as you have a settler available.

Bonus resources give a food boost. You will only see this in the city window. Horses are a strategic resource, you must build a road to them, same as luxuries.

So with a stratigic resource, I can't build a colony on it, I just have to build a road through it?

Now with the wheat, I benifit if it's on my property right? If it's not on my land, do I have to build a road through that also?

Ok, Iron, horses, saltpepper, etc. are 'strategic' resources. Strategic rescources you access by using colonies, or if they are inside your borders you only need a road connected to them to use them. Strategic resources allow you to build different types of military units.

Spices, wines, incense, furs, etc. are 'luxury' resources. These make your people happy and you access them in the same manner as strategic resources.

For both strategic and luxury resources you only need 1 of them for your civ to benefit from it. Any extra that are connected can be traded to other civs.

Wheat, cattle, game, etc. are 'bonus' resources. These are not things you can trade or for your whole civ to benefit from. These are just bonuses to that particular tile. When you zoom into a city, each citizen can be placed on a tile to work to supply food, shields and commerce. By working on the wheat tile they would be supplying more food to that city than a tile without wheat. Bonuse resources do not need to be connected by a road, but a good idea anyways, since a citizen will work that tile anyways, might as well bring in some extra cash.

It is not a good idea to build a city directly on a 'bonus' resource, because your city tile does not produce more than 2 food, regardless of the tile. But it usually is a good idea to build a city on strategic or luxury resources, so you save time connecting the road, an opponent can't pillage access to it - he must capture the city, plus luxury tiles usually offers more gold.

If wheat is not in your territory, you can not use it. It not only has to be in your territory, but it must be in a city's 'workable area'. For example, if your cultural borders expand 3 tiles away from a city, that 3rd tile is in your territory, but can't be worked by any citizens. Only 2 squares away (in all directions) from the city is the most one city's workable area can reach.

That cleared it all up.

Another question then, Mining and irrigation. If I place a mine on a gold patch on a mountain that's not in my territory, do I benifit from it? or does it have to be on my land?

Do I truly benfit from irrigation? Is one square enough per city?

Irrigating and mining affect tiles the same as 'bonus' resources, so they must be a 'workable' tile for you to benefit.

Irrigating grassland while you are in the despositism government won't help. In despositism any tile that produces 3 or more of something gets one subtracted from it. Example:Irrigated grassland is supposed to produce 3 food, but in Despot, it will only produce 2. How much you need to irrigate depends on what terrain you have. I usually irrigate all plains and desert tiles, and mine all grassland, while in despositism.

Originally posted by Lostman
So this also applies to gold? Do I mine gold or connect a road to it?

if you got a golden hill into your city territory its good to mine it and road it, but someone in this city should be place on that tile to get the money bonus it give. a good combination for this city is one worked tile with lots of food(cattle, wheat) and another one on this golden hill. You can set wich tile you want to be work by left clicking on it when you are in the city screen.

Gold is a bonus ressource.

You don't need to bring a road to it.

You just need to have a citizen working that tile.

If you build a mine, it will produce 1 more shield when worked.

If you build a road on it, it will produce more commerce when worked.

But the road is not needed to connect gold, since it's not a strategic nor a luxury ressource.

Re gold:
If gold is on a hill, build your city on that hex. You immediately get a lot of trade for that city.

If gold is on a mountain, however, you need to have a citizen of that city working on that hex, meaning that you need to have some good food squares worked in that city to take advantage of the gold. If you are working that hex, then build a road there and mine it.

Top Bottom