Conquer, Resistance, Disorder Automation Fix?

Puppeteer

Emperor
I did a rare thing and actually played an entire Civ III game to completion this past week. Monarch, standard continents, 5 billion years, won by domination in about 1285 AD.

I have almost universally eschewed the Civ III automation options as much poorer than micromanaging, but I found a good use for a bit of it: the city governor on conquered cities.

I leave cultural conversions on, so conquering and keeping cities is always a pain. I used to raze and replace, but this time I kept cities so I could mass build military instead of military *and* settlers. Every. Single. Time. The city is in resistance, then even with 8 luxuries hooked up and Hanging Gardens (captured) and all non-resisting citizens as entertainers the city goes into disorder as soon as the resistance ends, and sometimes more than once if resisters peel off one or two at a time. And they always seemed to culture flip during disorder and not during plain resistance.

I'm not sure what made me think to try it, but I set the city governor to manage citizen moods. Holy crap, it (usually) prevents the city from going into disorder when the resistance ends! And in these newly-conquered cities the corruption is usually 90%+ anyway, and even if it isn't I'm way too busy trying to win a war and optimize the core than I am trying to get the most out of a newly-conquered city.

I would never set this in a core city or even a productive or to-be-productive city, but I'm going to start using it for conquered cities in a war, at least until I feel like the flip threat is gone.

The downsides exist. The default governor settings seem to be what the capital city is set to, and I don't want my capital managed by the AI, so I have to set it every time I capture a city. Also, for some reason in the next game it was set for my first city and I had to change it.

But the war for domination went a lot smoother after I started setting that for conquered cities. I just needed them to not go into disorder, and I wasn't going to change the luxury slider for them. I just needed them to get to where I could rush a temple and then start building workers or settlers or whatnot.

Prior to this, the only automation options I ever used were automated pollution clean-up late-game, and setting "emphasize food/production" in the governor to micromanage how new citizens are auto-assigned when growing or otherwise scrambled (border expansion, shrinking population).

I'm not sure what made me think to try it, but I set the city governor to manage citizen moods. Holy crap, it (usually) prevents the city from going into disorder when the resistance ends!
Yep, I have also been using this for years now. And for me it has a nice little extra side-effect: a city, where the governor is active, get's a special "frame" around the city center on the map, and its name is displayed in italic on the F1 screen. So as I disable the governor again right after the city stops resisting, I have a nice visual indicator that tells me whether I can already cash-rush things in that city (resistance is over) or not (city still in resistance). For me this is important, as I usually cash-rush slaves out of all conquered cities until it's down to size 1. (Free worker power for railroads and forestry operations, and it reduces the flip risk, once the city grows back with native citizens.)
It also tells me after the war, in which of the 20-30 captured cities I still need to garrison a few troops to quell the last resistors. (I usually don't keep troops in conquered cities during the war, because a) they are needed for fighting and b) I am a burned child as in the early stages of my civ career I had it happen quite often, that a city flip took half my army or more with it and forced me to make peace... :mad:)

However, it doesn't eliminate the flip risk completely: I just had a flip in a Monarch level game, where I'm going for 100K... :crazyeye: But I guess the "local culture" of the nearby enemy capital was just to strong.

BTW: should we move this to the Strategy & Tips forum?

Last edited:
I didn´t use this until now, but the future will see that interesting city integration tactics by my civs, too. :)

Thank you very much!

I have used it now during the chinese conquest of Scandinavia (it makes sense in context ;) ).

I had not single disorder in the norse cities.

And to my surprise there were also no starvations.

Top Bottom