Conquering a city and then losing it to a 3rd civ while in revolt

ABHPage

Warlord
It just happened with three cities that I conquered from Joao. I kill his units, move into the city, which comes into revolt for like 9 turns, and before it become completely mine, either neighbor Louis or Washington gains control of it over culture while its in revolt... how do I avoid this ?

It just happened with three cities that I conquered from Joao. I kill his units, move into the city, which comes into revolt for like 9 turns, and before it become completely mine, either neighbor Louis or Washington gains control of it over culture while its in revolt... how do I avoid this ?
You keep conquering cities, that way their borders disappear. ;)

Not sure if that's the only way though, but if nothing else having a great artist and creating a great work should help deal with those pesky border pushes.

let me see if i understood correctly:

1) You conquer city
2) City enters revolt
3) Before the end of that period of revolt, the city flips to a third party

If that is what you are saying, that shouldn't happen. Care to post a save ?

It does happen, and it's happened to me many times. The city isn't allowed to flip to the original owner, so it flips to the 3'rd party instead.

Just happened to me, too. The city that flipped had several wonders in it, and the civ it flipped to had capitulated to me less than 10 turns earlier. Guh.

your Capitulated civs can't flip your cities.

your Capitulated civs can't flip your cities.

They are NOT SUPPOSED to do this, but I assure you they can and they do, as I've had it happen myself.

Firaxis Fail.

really? ....

-_-

Why won't firaxis focus on the glitches instead of making new ones?

They are NOT SUPPOSED to do this, but I assure you they can and they do, as I've had it happen myself.

Firaxis Fail.
What? :faint:

The only thing that prevents flips , besides the corresponding game options ( the more common is the default one that prevents capturated cities from fliping ), is piling up units. It was never promissed, and it is never stated in the game that vassals can't flip master cities .... I wonder from where you took this one.

What? :faint:

The only thing that prevents flips , besides the corresponding game options ( the more common is the default one that prevents capturated cities from fliping ), is piling up units. It was never promissed, and it is never stated in the game that vassals can't flip master cities .... I wonder from where you took this one.

Yeah, vassals can flip your cities, what they can't do is work tiles within your cities' BFCs. Also, as rolo mentioned, heavy occupation will prevent revolts. To check the chance for revolt, mouse over the nationality bar in the city screen (below the building list on the left hand side).

The only thing that prevents flips , besides the corresponding game options ( the more common is the default one that prevents capturated cities from fliping ), is piling up units.

Wrong, as pointed out years ago on the forum in the Spy - eccon threads. The way it works is cities are not supposed to flip to original owners. That is why you can totally f*ck up any deity AI in a spy-eccon with a little bit of thinking. I found out about this one by accident in the Warlords days, and I couldn't believe it Firaxis messed things up that bad.

Stationing troops is only for trying to block flips in cities that CAN flip. But the AI doesn't understand how to handle original ownership, this is what makes the spy eccon so much more crippling to the AIs. It will send 1001 units into a city that already can't legally flip, and you can trap them there indefinitely.

They are not suposed to revert to their previous owners only if you don't tick the "conquered cities can flip to previous owners" option ... or can you show me why should they not flip? A link would be fine, but code location would work exactly as well ...

A city will never flip to its previous owner, EVER, unless you click the option that allows it. However, a city can flip to any other faction than the original owner without penalty.

It is harder for vassals to flip master cities, however, because if the city is not in revolt it gets its full BFC from vassal land, allowing it to create infra that produces culture and quickly drop the required garrison to prevent revolt. Usually 3rd party culture isn't anywhere near the original owner's culture strength anyway, so blocking a flip should be doable via units.

However, AFAIK you can NOT trap AI units in a city indefinitely even if it's 99% culture of yours. It will tend to station units there, but if it gets into a war (with you or other civs) it will move them. The real benefit of a culture trap city for EP is the ridiculous discounts it yields (and probable proximity to capitol). 80% tech discount or more gets pretty stupid and it takes very little effort to stay at parity that way - especially because this garbage city that is probably surrounded in culture won't be rebuilding any security bureaus very often.

However, the point about fixing glitches rather than introducing new ones is SPOT ON. In the case of vassals, culture issues are the LEAST of the problems, as Rolo and many others know ;).

Top Bottom