Conquest + Lanun + Hannah + Sacrifice the Weak = Wow

MarigoldRan

WARLORD
For Lanun, each non-Pirate Port coast tile produces 3 food and 3 Commerce. The Pirate Ports add an extra 4 commerce, 1 more food and 1 hammer on top of that.

Normally food isn't useful once you hit your happy cap, but with Conquest the food is converted into hammers for military production. Each unupgraded coast tile under Sacrifice the Weak for Lanun is a net gain of 2 units of production and 3 Commerce. As Pirate Ports, each tile provides a net gain of 4 units of production and 7 (!) commerce. This is equivalent to fully upgraded elven cottaged ancient forests, except that you can get them much easier and earlier.

Even better: because of their reliance on water, you can skip most of the early worker techs and beeline Corruption of Spirit or Pact of Nilhorn. The only worker tech you'll need early is mining for production, and Bronze Working-> Warfare for Conquest. You don't need Animal Husbandry, Education, or Agriculture, and with the Pearl resource providing happiness, you can delay Calendar.

Think the Lanun is weak on land? No, they're not. With their super-research and commerce generation abilities, you can get GunPowder and Arquebuses by the time most civs get Iron Working. Arquebuses are str 10 units, the strongest non-heroic units in the game second only to Clan Ogres equipped with Mirthril Weapons. Give them the Flaming Arrows promotion and they're Str 11 (!). They're a late-game unit, but as Lanun you can get them in the Mid-Game because of your insane economy. Also, as Lanun you can beeline for things like Rosier the Fallen, who is the strongest early-mid game hero in the game, because you don't need most of the worker techs. Combine Rosier with a couple of Ritualists to weaken enemy stacks and you can steamroll everyone in the early-mid-game.

Lanun > All because of their economy. As long as they can survive the first 100-ish turns in decent shape, they're unstoppable.

Last edited:
I play Single Player. Lanun is by far the best for SP Diety.

For MP I would probably play Svalt just so I can screw people in the early game. I know the Svalt Scout/Hunter rush well, too. I'm aware that in most MP games, the strongest are Faeryl, Kurioates, Tasunke, or Pyre Zombies. But in SP, Lanun is better because the problem with the other civs is your economy crashes.

Still, I'd give Lanun a try because in the early game you can bunker in your cities as you have nothing pillageable.

Also, if you're willing to play on a large map, with lots of open space between the human players....

Last edited:
Top Bottom