1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Conquest of the World

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Stories & Tales' started by Quintillus, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Luumi

Luumi Chieftain

It seems that the Aztecs are downright on a freefall.To think that they got themselves in that position just to cheat on a deal... :lol:

2. Theryman

Theryman King

Poor Pyrrhus. He was a true patriot to try to beat people with rifles over the head with a mace... but most patriots, it seems, are a bit thick.

You are using a lot of infantry to attack- why not use cavs or tanks? Speaking of tanks, how close are you to getting them?

3. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

Tanks are better, but not invincible- I keep losing them to Guerrillas!

You have had some bad luck. The Invasion force needs more men.

America has really given the Aztecs some trouble! Just wait for the Aztec counter-Attack to reach Teotihuacan and they're back in, and 3 cities are surrounded!

Mongolia still hasn't done anything to China? :lol:

4. 502nd PIR

502nd PIR Rise to Empire

Mam, this story is so brilliant. Great job, but you need to work on losses. You took a helluva lot of them that last turn.

5. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

Took me over 2 days to complete each turn in the INDUSTRIAL Age, in a recent game of mine. :)

6. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

I can't blame the Aztecs for trying to pull a fast one on me. Really, who would expect an equal power half the world away to try a serious invasion - and even if they did it would take forever? The chances were good they'd get the most expensive Industrial tech for a low cost. But they forgot they were playing with the only human player, and got a bit unlucky in that they weren't able to quickly overwhelm the Maya and Americans.

Yeah, those Infantry attacks are taking way too many casualties. It was just more convenient to use tons of Infantry rather than tons of Marines this turn, with the New World Expeditionary Force having no other choice and most of the Hyderabad forces being reinforcements from the war with Russia that occured before Amphibious War. Our Marine forces are growing - now 26 - but still are only half the number of our Infantry forces, even after all those losses. Tanks are not far off, however. And bombers will be arriving on the fronts en masse in just a few turns.

And no, Mongolia still hasn't done anything to China! Their 20 Infantry and 12 Riflemen can't seem to beat China's 21 Spearmen, 5 Longbowmen, 2 Musketmen, and 1 Horseman (that's China's entire army). Either those Musketmen are doing really well on the front, or Mongolia just can't fight! I'm half-thinking I should send China some Iron and see if they destroy Mongolia!

7. civverguy

civverguy Emperor

Good luck on the rest of your game!

8. Tasslehoff

Tasslehoff Kender

You really should get tanks in quickly...

Another great update!

9. choxorn

Maybe you should give the Mongolians a lesson in warfare...

[cue dumb scene]

Quintillus: Today, Temujin, we will be learning how to destroy a Middle-Ages civ with a small military. It is simple: Build A Military of modern troops, then pwn them. I will demonstrate by wiping your nemesis, China, off the map. :)

[/cue dumb scene]

10. Ultimate_Waffle

Ultimate_Waffle The soul devourer.

I've always wondered, some people call Genghis "Temujin". Why is this?

11. Theryman

Theryman King

Temujin was the name he was born with. 'Khan' was a title with the Mongols, meaning he was their leader. He took it after unifying the Mongols. Anyone knows what Genghis means?

12. Son_Of_Dido

Son_Of_Dido Prince

If I understand it correctly, Temujin is actually his name, whereas "Genghis Khan" is his title (translating loosely to "Great King" or High King or in other words, Emperor. Notice all those subdivisions of the Mongol Empire in subsequent generations were called "Khanates").

Temujin would've been his name before he was famous and successful, and once he started unifying and conquering everybody and becoming called a genghis khan ("Great King") he probably just took that as his "Stage Name" so to speak. Or perhaps being called exclusively by an imposing title instead of a name would've been a psychological/PR move to make him seem more than human/unstoppable.

I believe the Chinese Emperor who was buried with all those terra cotta soldiers in his tomb likewise insisted on being known only by his title, and the "name" by which we know him today is in fact a title that translates to "First Emperor of China (because he unified it?)" or something to that effect. Whatever his given name was prior to that is lost, partly because he insisted on only being called by his new, cool sounding title.

Somebody who knows this stuff better than I do is free to come along and fine tune/outright correct what I'm saying.

13. choxorn

OT: Indeed, leaders do sometimes change their names to look cooler. Just ask Lenin, Stalin, and some other Russian leader I can't name right now. :p

14. civverguy

civverguy Emperor

Genghis Khan's name actually means "universal ruler"
    Most of the Chinese emperors change their names to match with their dynasties' name e.g. Wu of Han, or Qin Shihuangdi I think.

15. Ultimate_Waffle

Ultimate_Waffle The soul devourer.

Oh, well... That clears a lot of things up. Thanks for enlightening me :).

16. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

1934 AD - There's just a few more units to mop up before the end of Greece's turn. A Cavalry by Hyderabad destroys a Persian Cavalry, and a Marine in Rome attacks a redlined Roman Cavalry. He struggles, but the effort has its reward...

Another Leader! Hmm...a Tank army would more than make up for the loss of Pyrrhus's army...

1935 AD - The Persians destroy my Observation Galley in the Strait of Madagascar. It got abandoned by my damaged Cruisers and, well, arrows can't beat cannons all the time.

The Zulu declare war on the Byzantines after signing an alliance with the Aztecs. They might get something for the alliance, but as weak as they are every time they do that they're endangering themselves.

The Celts, meanwhile, make peace with Spain and Scandinavia. They apparently want to focus more on fighting Greece.

Up north, we witness a Chinese Longbowman destroy a Mongolian Spearman. Go figure! :lol:

Lincoln comes to us saying he doesn't want to continue our embargo against the Aztecs - probably because he's not at war with them at the moment - and says he'll only renew the deal if we give him Coal. Which gives us another idea. Why not sell Coal to him? So that's what we'll do!

Lincoln is exactly correct! We strike the deal. I'm sure he'll agree to the embargo later once the Aztecs attack me and our MPP forces him to declare war.

More good news on the American front. The Ottomans have captured Tlaxcala, the Aztec city nearest South America. Our spies tell us they have two Sipahis at the time, and the resources to build more, meaning they have the strongest offensive units in the New World. Might that make them a regional power?

1936 AD -

We have Tanks! In just a few turns they'll be dominating the battlefields. And to speed the transition to the Modern Age, we increase science funding to 90% so we may more quickly discover the Radio.

So we've got another war with a faraway land. Eventually the Aztecs will attack Teotihuacan and get us our ally.

Our major attack this turn will be on the city of Chittagong, in the northern Himalayas and across those mountains from Karachi. Our first Bomber makes a successful run over the city, reducing the population. We're ready to attack!

That's a Mongol Spearman watching the battle.

The Persians have the city fairly well defended, with an Artillery and Trebuchet aiding the Infantry, but Hector's Army charges through, still with a green hitpoint indicator at the end of the battle. The city is ours.

My plan for the war with the Aztecs had included reinforcing the New World Expeditionary Force with some Marines before taking Tenochtitlan. But with the end of resistance in Teotihuacan and the Ottomans making progress towards Tenochtitlan themselves, I decide to move out towards the Aztec capital without reinforcements. We'll have 6 Infantry and 3 Artillery on the attack, with two Infantry remaining behind on defense.

The Incas, meanwhile, forced us to declare war on them at a very inconvenient time for their navy...

They lose two Frigates to the encounter. Only later do we realize the formerly Spanish city of Valladolid on the Hawaiian islands in now Incan - the fleet's mission had been completed.

Our next target will be the Celtic megalopolis of Gergovia, centered just north of the Holy Land. We direct all our extra forces in Asia towards the city.

Our stack includes 7 Artillery and a Trebuchet to bombard, and 7 Marines, 4 Infantry, and a Hoplite to attack. We hope the Hoplite doesn't end up attacking. :lol:

1937 AD - The Mongols and Spanish ally against the Zulu. I'd say this is bad for the Zulu, except that the Mongols are already looking pathetic against China.

1938 AD - We complete our first Tank in Lisbon! The Celts don't know what's coming towards them!

Libraries our completed in Teotihuacan, where we hurried it, and Hyderabad, which has very high production. Five more cities complete Bombers, and two more complete Tanks.

Our armies continue towards Tenochtitlan and Gergovia. Three tanks join the forces outside Gergovia, and three of the new bombers rebase to Berlin. The distance to Berlin for the other two exceeded their maximum rebase distance, so they rebased a bit farther south in the Arabian Peninsula. Another Artillery and two Infantry join the march to Gergovia, getting close enough that they can help bombard.

1939 AD - Three Incan Frigates come up on the Dutch homeland from the West. One engages a Galleon just outside Amsterdam, whose travelers had taken the proper precautions and evacuated to land the turn before.

The Frigate wins. We switch a couple cities to Destroyers to better control the seas.

Russia requests a renewal of our peace treaty. We decide not to. 20 turns is too long to wait to conquer them. And if they keep a low profile, they just might survive long enough to make peace.

17. choxorn

Hopefully, the someone will kill the Zulu before they decide to attack America and trigger your MPP (And when will the Aztecs attack you?)

18. Tasslehoff

Tasslehoff Kender

So, who are you at war with now...?

Inca
    Aztecs
    Russians
    Romans
    Celts
    Persians
    Zulu

Who else?

19. choxorn

He is currently at war with:

China
    Aztecs
    Persia
    Celts
    Rome
    Sumeria
    England
    Inca
    Russia (Will die as soon as he wants to kill them)

So, you missed China, Sumeria, and England, and named the Zulu when he isn't at war with them.

20. 502nd PIR

502nd PIR Rise to Empire

Man this is going to be great with tanks now. Its gonna be like the Greek Blitzkrieg. You can construct an airfield now right? If so, I'd use that to reinforce your Expeditonary Force.