Conquest of the World

Also could you tell me how you got it so that there's no corruption and 31 civs?

Since it's probably easier for you, especially if you've never used the editor, I'm going to upload my map. Once it's uploaded, I'll post the link here, and you can download it, unzip the file, and move the Earth 31 Players.biq to the Civilization III > Scenarios folder, and it'll show up in CivContent. As to making the map...

Well, first of all you'll need Conquests - 16 civs is the limit in Vanilla and ?24? in Play the World. If you have that, go into Civ3ConquestsEdit (look under the Start Menu -> wherever you put Civ3), and open the Earth (Huge).bic file. To do this, you'll have to change the file type from .biq to .bic, and then go to the Civilization III>Scenarios folder. After opening the file, go to Scenario on the menu bar, and select Custom Rules, and click OK. Now find the Edit button in the upper-left, and click it. Find the tab that says "Difficulty Levels" and click it. Now go through all the difficulty levels and drag the Corruption slider (right column) down to zero percent. Then click the "Close" button in the lower-right. Corruption is now 0%. To get 31 civs, click the Scenario menu again and choose Scenario Properties. In the first tab, find the "Number of Players" option (top center) and change it to 31. Make sure all 31 civs are available by pressing Shift, clicking the first civ, and dragging down to the last civ. Click "Apply" in the lower-right, and then "OK". The final step is to add 15 more player starting locations. Hit the button "O" (for overlay) once back to the main screen, then hit "P" twice (until it reads "Player Starting Location" and hit "Enter". Now just click 15 locations for players to start. In my scenario, I also adjusted some of the default starting locations (for better balance) and changed some of them to always have the same default civ for some added historical accuracy.

"The editor. Oh great! Good luck! You will need it..."

It's not really an option. This is CivIII, remember, not CivIV. I suppose I could modify the save file, but that would be an exercise in futility. And anyways, what fun would it be without the occasional setback?

Last edited:
Part Twelve - The Big Fish Fight

In 1635, the Persian Empire, the most advanced empire in the world, declared war on the Greek Empire, the largest empire in the world. As Persia sent in Knights and Cavalry, Greece rushed Hoplites and Medieval Infantry to the front lines.

1635 AD - The next step in our defense is to build walls in Eritrea and Rhodes. As we are unfortunately short on gold, we become connoisseurs of the world map we acquired from Scandinavia, and amass approximately 350 gold and 15 gold per turn from trading it to almost everybody in the world. With the increase in gold, we can afford to both hurry the walls and increase research funding for gunpowder so that it will be completed in minimal time.

We then start the big trades. We have extra resources, and the big players - the Aztecs and Spanish - are willing to pay a premium for them. Our first trade is Silks to the Aztecs for 31 GPT. We then trade Gems and Iron to the Spanish for 81 GPT. Giving them iron is potentially disastrous, but we do not think they will be able to maximize the usage of it within twenty turns, and we are receiving a lot of gold.

Looking for more trade possibilities, I head to my foreign advisor. He tells me the following:

:lol:

The best deal we are able to find is 4 GPT for Gems from the Mongols. Just about everyone else is broke. We accept the deal for now.

With 60% funding - enough to research Gunpowder in the minimum of 4 turns - we are now making 128 gold per turn. Our financial worries are solved.

Our troops have bunkered down in Rhodes and Eritrea, and we end the turn.

Only one Persian Knight attacks, and is red-lined before killing an outlying Medieval Infantry.

Down near Madagascar, our galley witnesses the Zulu attack Indus and take the guard down to just one Spearman. I anticipate Indus will fall shortly.

1640 AD - We defeat the Persian Knight who recently attacked. I then send out a Hoplite to pillage the only entryway Persia has to our empire - neither of us have rights of passage with Portugal or India. Establishing an embassy in Berlin, I then sign a right of passage with Germany. I have a new plan for defense. There is only one tile through which Persia can enter my territory:

With my new right of passage agreement with Germany, I can occupy the orange tile. Thus, I send most of my Hoplites there, fortify them, and then send in all my workers in India to build a Fortress and Barricade there. That ought to slow down the Persian offensive!

At the end of the turn, I receive news that Germany and Persia have signed a trade embargo against us! Well, Persia definetely has Nationalism!

But no, my foreign advisor never told me they were evil.

Indus fell to the Zulu this turn. India is down to one city, Karachi.

1650 AD - Persia did not send in troops last turn.

We now have guns. Now we just need some bullets, and we might have an effective combination. Fortunately, we do have saltpeter - one source, in Australia, right beside Russia.

I decide to train some of the newfangled musketmen to defend it. Research has begun on Chemistry.

I begin building the Fortress near the German city of Bangalore. It just so happens there is Saltpeter where I am building the Fortress, as well as to the square to the southeast of it. It would be beneficial to Germany if Russia did not try to pillage our saltpeter in Australia.

1655 AD - The barricade idea won't work quite as well as I'd hoped. Persia is flagrantly going through Indian territory despite not having a right of passage. But at least we will have a zone of control to annoy them to no end with.

Some excellent news for Greece, as well. After Ephesus completed building a Hoplite, I noticed Knight was an option. Checking with my trade advisor, I learned that Bombay was built on a source of horses! Yay!

1660 AD - Persia sent in a Cavalry to attack my defensive stack by Bangalore, and my hoplite promptly defeated him. I think they realized what I'm doing and don't like it.

Rome wants me to rejoin the war against India. I decline, but agree to a right of passage.

Persia completes Newton's University in Arbela. Back near Bangalore, I counter this achievement by attacking and wearing down a stack of Immortals poised to attack my Hoplites just before the Fortress is complete. Nice try.

1665 AD - The Fortress near Bangalore is complete. Persia has not been aggressively attacking, and we begin building a Barricade. If we can get adequate defenses up, we may yet go on the offensive. It will take just two turns to construct the Barricade.

1670 AD - We finish researching Chemistry and begin Metallurgy. Still no major attack from Persia. What are they planning???

1675 AD - The barricade is complete. Zululand has joined Persia's trade embargo against us, but I don't really care. Then Rome joins. Slightly more cause for concern, but still nothing major. The Celts also join the parade.

Speaking of parades, it seems the Persians have decided to parade around the barricade. Rather than challenging it or marching by it, they are marching right through Indian territory far enough north that it does not affect them. If India weren't so anti-Greek, I might build a Fortress there, but I don't think India wants me in their territory :).

Persia then requests an audience with me. They tell me the following:

I find this interesting. They have essentially told me they are weak. I decide not to accept. The momentum has switched into Greek hands.

One especially interesting offer they were willing to accept was Peace Treaty and Mutual Protection Pact.

After we refuse the peace treaty, Persia for the first time attacks my Barricade. They fail. I am happy.

1680 AD:

The Portuguese! Leave it to the citizens of Bombay. Well, at least I don't feel like a fool for not razing it and then having them revolt back to India. It still is a problem, no doubt, but it could have been worse.

With the situation in Portugal, my resolve against Persia has been weakened. The only point in continuing the war is to go on the offensive, by all measures a much more costly measure for Greece - and likely less costly for Persia - than our remaining on defence. Thus, even though I would like to stick it to Persia and capture a few of their cities - I reluctantly go to them and begin negotiations anew.

When I ask for a World Map as part of the deal, Xerxes gives a somewhat unsettling reply:

He does agree, however, to pay 200 gold in indemities as part of the peace deal. We are satisfied, and peace with Persia is renewed.

Now it is time to deal with Portugal. They refuse to trade me Horses or Bombay for anything. Thus, I make demands for them. They repeatedly refuse, even when I make it clear to them: "Take this deal or suffer!" Thus, I have no choice. They will suffer. I declare war.

Last edited:
You seem to be getting really bad luck with those Indian and French cities constantly flipping.

Additionally thanks for the help with my question.

Yeah, the Indian cities in particular are flipping a lot. Dacca (on Java) is the only Indian city that I captured that didn't flip - that's 1 of 5.

I've uploaded the .biq file for this map.

Last edited:
Part Thirteen - The Unification of Southeast Asia

1680 AD - The war with Portugal commences. One of the most uncertain areas of the war for Greece is Malaysia. Both sides have a multitude of workers working right along the border at the beginning of the war.

Nonetheless, those of both sides should be able to retreat safely.

This war may also test our barricade system. We do not have any offensive troops near Malaysia, so if Portugal seeks to advance that way, they may have some success. Nevertheless, they will soon feel a bite from the Greek territories in India, so we do not expect an overwhelming advance into Malaysia. The Hoplite in Herakleia will be upgraded just in case.

As our troops retreat from Bangalore towards Bombay and Portugal, a worker builds an Incense colony for us. A bit of extra happiness is not a bad thing.

1685 AD - I forgot to retreat my workers after taking that screenshot. One was lost.

Portugal's advance consisted of Longbowmen guarded by Spearmen advancing towards Herakleia. None are yet within striking distance of the city, and no Greek troops are yet close enough to attack them. A Portuguese Knight has appeared in the coastal city of Coimbra, but has not yet advanced. Two Carracks have also appeared north of Arnhem.

I will try to avoid these as long as possible to avoid triggering a Portuguese golden age.

With eight medieval infantry near Bombay, I launch an attack against the defending Musketmen. The very first one overcomes the odds and retakes the city. There is no resistance in the city. Our troops then move towards the Portuguese city of Oporto.

Muskets defend the city, and a Warrior guarded by a Spearman stands guard outside the gates. We're more concerned about the Knight in Coimbra than the warrior.

1690 AD - I lost two more workers after forgetting to retreat them again. Grr...

The Portuguese Warrior is headed towards Malaysia. Whew! My macemen were terrified!

The Carracks have landed two horsemen by Middelburg on Kyushu, Japan. With two hoplites and a size 7 city, we're not concerned for defense, but figure they'll probably pillage everything.

I remember to retreat the workers!

A Greek attack on Oporto defeats a Musketman and two Spearmen. Only offensive units remain to guard the city - a Knight and Longbowman.

The Portuguese troops in Malaysia all begin heading back towards India on Portugal's turn. They're thinking defense. I'm thinking now I'll have time to reinforce Malaysia.

In negotiations, the Zulu agree to a Right of Passage right out. They may be small, but hey, any sign that my reputation is improving is good. The next turn, I renegotiate the deal with the Iroquois so I'm not paying 3 GPT anymore. It took me forever to remember how to cancel current deals - the consequences of not playing for a year. Babylon also agrees to renew at a lower cost - 10 gold lump sum rather than 2 gold per turn.

Tenochtitlan completes Smith's Trading Company. I know I was close, but oh well. Better luck next time.

1695 AD - Our Sooth Sayers have learned the secrets of Metallurgy. Three techs in twelve turns! Military Tradition will continue the scientific tradition, although at a costly 100% science rate.

My attack on Oporto succeeds easily, Portugal not having reinforced it. I don't even both to use my trebuchets. The city is razed. We have plans to build a new city in a more strategic location. Unfortunately, after razing Oporto, that location is Dutch territory. To solve the problem, I declare war on the Dutch.

Now that Oporto is conquered, I send my front-line attacking force north across the Himalayas towards the city of Lagos. Lagos is surrounded by desert and dry plains, but it is more important than the Portuguese heartland for one reason - it has the only Saltpeter in the Portuguese empire.

The Portuguese Warrior red-lined my medieval infantry before falling. They did indeed have reason to be concerned.

India and the Zulu sign a peace treaty. This time, the Zulu definitely won.

1700 AD - As the eighteenth century begins, three more civilizations have entered the Industrial Age. The Celts have become the first African civilization to enter that Age, and also have gained the city of Augustodurum (by the Sinai) thanks to culutural revolt from Persia. America has entered the Industrial Age across the Atlantic, quickly eliminating their disadvantage relative to the Aztecs. Korea has also reached Industrial in northern Europe. The Iroquois and Chinese have also recently reached the Middle Ages, leaving no civilization in the Ancient Age.

Greek troops advance towards both Lagos and Coimbra. The Portuguese counterattack my troops near Coimbra, but my Trebuchets help keep my casaulties low. Portugal isn't looking strong.

1705 AD - I found the city of Troy in Dutch territory near Oporto. The new location will enable more tiles to be tilled. To the southeast, we begin an attack on the Portuguese counteroffensive.

My troops fail to defeat the six units northwest of Coimbra this turn. We need more troops on that front.

In the Gobi Desert, Lagos is captured and razed. No more saltpeter for Portugal.

Far away, a scout galley confirms that Persia does indeed have Riflemen by spotting one in Persepolis, in present-day France.

The next turn, it spots a Frigate leaving Persepolis.

1710 AD - The city of Karachi has at last fallen, to Rome. But India's presence on the subcontinent has not ended, because...

Madras has revolted and joined them! :mad: :mad: :mad: If we didn't still have 4 turns in the peace treaty, we'd declare war immediately. Instead we repeatedly make absurd demands to them in an attempt to get them to declare war. It doesn't work. So instead, we sign a trade embargo with our good friends the Persians against India.

1715 AD - In an unexpected move, a Japanese galley has landed a Medieval Infantry and a Spearman near Middelburg, appropriately enough on the Japanese island of Kyushu. They'll need the help of the kamikazi - divine wind - to pull this attack off.

The city of Marathon is founded in the middle of the desert near where Lagos used to be.

Just outside Persian waters, our galley spots

Pirates! I highly suspect they are operated by Persia. Our galley attacks. The galley wins. Cannons have nothing on good old fashioned bows and arrows.

The Japanese declare war on us. We pretend to be shocked.

1720 AD - We make peace with the Dutch. Our intent was never to fight them, just to build a city in their territory.

1725 AD - Our troops launch an attack on the city of Coimbra.

It is conquered without too much difficulty, and even an inadvertent Musketman attack succeeds. In Rotterdam, in modern Indonesia, our first cavalry has been finished, and they hurry north to help the effort.

1730 AD - The peace treaty with India is over, and I waste no time in declaring war. Two cavalry are ready in Ephesus, and they storm down and attack the defending War Elephant.

To our great surprise, they both lose. To the north, medieval infantry fare much better in taking the Portuguese city of Sagres, in the middle of the Gobi desert.

1735 AD - Rome has taken Madras.

In Portugal, Lisbon is under attack by Greek forces. The leading Cavalry again fails. We're seriously considering going back to Medieval Infantry, or pillaging our Saltpeter and returning to Knights. However, after two of my four medieval infantry lose, I conclude I'm just having some bad luck.

1740 AD - Germany and India have made peace. India is down to a 1x1 island, so only Scandinavia would have anything to gain.

In much bigger news, Persia and Spain have signed a mutual protection pact. They are the most technologically advanced civilizations in the Old World, and rank #1 and #4 in score in the Old World. Greece is #2, and Korea is #3. Due to these developments, I establish an embassy in Seoul. Seoul is guarded by mostly pikemen, with one rifleman, and has just one luxury resource. Korea also lacks Saltpeter - hence the pikemen. Copernicus's Observatory, Korea's only non-obsolete wonder, is in Seoul. Despite the Spanish-Persian alliance, Korea will not sign a mutual protection pact with me. I suspect my current wars are the cause.

1745 AD - Germany wants to end the right of passage. Perhaps my Hoplites occupying the barricade right beside Bangalore are making them nervous? I agree. They might sign it again once the hoplites withdraw.

We attack Lisbon, and this time it falls. The Portuguese capital is moved to Guimaraes.

(continued below)

Last edited:
(continued)

1750 AD - At the midway point of the eighteenth century, the Egyptians and Byzantines have entered the Industrial Age. Greece is now just four turns away. The Byzantines, being scientific, have Nationalism, and having both Sun Tzu's Art of War and Leonardo's Workshop, they will likely soon have a great number of Riflemen.

We make peace with India this turn.

Our army support is down to two gold per turn, thanks in large part to the construction of many aqueducts within the past seventy-five years.

1752 AD - A cavalry successfully attacks Guimaraes, ending a string of upsets.

I build an embassy in Washington. America's defenses are poor, but the city itself appears to be strong. I then establish an embassy in Tenochtitlan. The garrison there is far stronger than America's, and the city is fabulously wealthy. The Aztecs are in a superior position to the Americans.

Finally, I establish an embassy in Thebes. Though they have four luxuries and all strategic resources, the garrison is only Spearmen, and the city is less developed than Tenochtitlan.

I then trade Incense to the Aztecs for 22 gold per turn, making Tenochtitlan ever more fabulously wealthy. After that, I cancel the deal where I was exporting Gems and Iron to Spain for 81 gold per turn. They're now bankrupt, and won't pay one gold per turn. I buy their territory map for one gold, and see that they haven't built any railroads. Good. I then begin trading Gems and Saltpeter to the Koreans for 45 gold per turn. The Koreans having Saltpeter will be an effective way to add pressure to Persia. I also begin trading Horses to Sumeria for 10 gold per turn, the maximum they will pay for anything at this point. Despite being on Greenland, they are actually doing quite well. They have Physics and Metallurgy, as well as Democracy, and if they weren't so resource-poor they'd be quite difficult to invade.

1756 AD - I make peace with Japan.

The attack on Guimaraes takes place. It is defeated. Just one Portuguese city remains on their mainland, Emerita. As my troops approach it, we see muskets defending it.

But they've never stopped us before, and won't now, either.

1758 - We enter the Industrial Age, having completed the Theory of Gravity. Our musicians instantly learn new pieces.

As my free technology, I receive Steam Power, rather than the expected Nationalism. That's fine by me - railroads can be just as good as Riflemen. I direct my research towards Industrialism in a quest to become the first civilization to industrialize. A while back, no one would have thought we'd have a chance at that, but we do now!

I send out diplomatic envoys to figure out who else has which industrial technologies. Persia is up by Nationalism and Medicine, and also has Steam Power. The Aztecs and Americans have them equaled. The Byzantines are also up Nationalism and Medicine, but down Steam Power, and are technologically equal to the Koreans and Celts. Spain has Nationalism, but lacks Medicine and Steam Power. Egypt does not have any industrial technologies yet. The Spanish situation most surprises me. They've been in the Industrial Age as long as anyone.

I decide to depart from my usual trade policies and sell my new technology to a few civilizations. The first deal I make is to the Celts. They give me Democracy, World Map, 40 gold per turn, and 64 gold for Steam Power. I then deal it to the Koreans for Free Artistry, World Map, 23 gold per turn, and 35 gold. The third and best deal comes with the Byzantines. They give me Medicine, 19 gold, and a World Map for Steam Power. The net effect is that Persia now has three technological equals right beside them, and I am the next most advanced civilization. I also am losing just 30 gold per turn with 100% research. Spain and Egypt both have considerable catching up to do.

1760 AD - I attack Emerita. Losses are high. Four cavalry, two medieval infantry, and a longbow attack, but I end up one musketman-hitpoint short. Only two hoplites are within striking distance. Time for the old hoplite charge!

The first one results in the Musketman getting promoted. The second does not occur. We'll attack again next turn.

1762 AD - I begin training a pirate fleet in Australia to annoy Russia with.

The capture of Emerita occurs with far fewer losses this turn. Without any nearby cities to conquer, I decide to make peace.

It is now time to make mutual protection pacts, and create an alliance to best the Spanish-Persian one. My ally is the Byzantines. Theodora is still annoyed even after signing the mutual protection pact, but she didn't demand any payment. I had planned to add the Koreans or Celts to the pact, but Korea wanted too much gold, and the Celts don't have a right of passage with the Byzantines, so they couldn't have helped against Persia.

Greece is now hoping for peace. It has been 1382 years since Greece last had peace, and the last time we tried to have peace, we were invaded right away. The stakes in wars are also rising with technology. The mutual protection pacts and alliances inevitably cause a domino effect when war does occur. But for now, peace is the way of the Greek Empire.

"There is no way to peace. Peace is the way."

Last edited:
1) Excellent job! Keep up the good work.
2) I hope you put it on unlimited turns, because I don't think you'll conquer the WHOLE world before time runs out :(

Well, the problem with flipping can be solved in 2 ways:
- put A LOT of troops in endangered cities (ever heard about CivAssist? It can tell you exactly how many troops you need in a city so that it won't flip)
- raze! :D

I forgot to put the turns to unlimited, but I'm going to play all the way until someone conquers the world, even if it is after 2050 AD. I don't think I'll conquer everything before then either.

I just read about CivAssist, and might try it sometime, but not for this game. Even if it is allowed with GoTOMs, it would feel like an unfair advantage having never used it before. While I'm at war I'll probably keep my troops just outside the city. Retaking it works just as well.

I also read in a strategy thread that distance from capital is a factor in determining flipping chance. So we might not see Athens as the capital forever.

Razing is proving useful. It seems counterintuitive to a builder like myself, but it is effective,so long as I have settlers in the area. If I don't, the AI sure settles land quickly!

I'm planning to post the next update Thursday night.

This is a very interesting concept. No corruption is supposed to make the game much harder (especially on higher difficulty levels) for some reason. I'm sort of sure how that is true, but does anyone have an explanation?

I've even been inspired to start my own no corruption scenario! :)

^Two ideas on that. The first is simply that the AI doesn't understand the importance of Code of Laws and courthouses. I wouldn't be surprised if the AI does wait a bit too long to build them, though I've never checked that much. Equally important, I don't think the AI knows not to build improvements in 1-commerce cities. Without corruption, they won't get knocked for gold because of that, and thus will be richer. On higher difficulties with corruption, they'll built more buildings because they are cheaper and get knocked for more gold, and thus the increase in gold without corruption would be more noticeable.

Just a few thoughts. I haven't checked, but I think the AI works that way.

Things I've noticed about no corruption (note this is on regent):

1. The AI advances a bit more quickly technologically. With 31 civs, I'd expect the AI to fall behind technologically just because there's not enough land per civ to get good research on a Huge map. While some civilizations have fallen behind, the 10-12 in the lead are if anything a bit ahead of historical progress, which Regent usually follows pretty well.
2. Courthouses, Forbidden Palaces, and Police Stations are pretty much useless. Courthouses will help reduce flipping, but that's only helpful on the frontiers (maybe I should build some).
3. Government corruption values are useless. There never was that much difference, other than Communism, but now it's zero.
4. Outlying cities are more developed, for both the AI and the human.
5. The AI isn't any smarter for no corruption. They also don't have noticeably larger armies.

I like no corruption. It doesn't seem unbalanced, either - the AI also gets it. In terms of empire-building, no corruption is a great tool.

Part Fourteen - Pax Graeca

Apologies in advance for the lack of a World Map. I didn't think to make one when I made this post, and it's late now and I need some sleep. Some of the posts have inset maps, but for the locations of the major civilizations of this post look in the 1764 and 1788 posts. Individual city locations aren't that important this time around.

The last post ended in 1762 AD, after Greece had conquered the last of Portugal's mainland cities and unified Southeast Asia. Cavalry and Riflemen are the newest technology in the world's armies, and civilizations across the globe, Greece included, are entering the Industrial Age.

1764 AD - No one attacked us! We have peace!

Russia entered the Industrial Age. They lack for coal, and thus won't become a major industrial power. The Hittites also become the first South American civilization to enter the Industrial Age. The Maya have entered the Industrial Age in North America, leaving Carthage in the awkward position of being surrounded by more advanced civilizations. Carthage does not yet have Physics, so it is likely they will remain in such a situation for quite a while. And in Greenland, Sumeria has reached the Industrial Age. They lack for coal as well as the other resources, a severe blow to ever becoming powerful. Riflemen will help them nonetheless. Closer to home, my northern neighbor, Scandinavia, also has entered the Industrial Age.

1770 AD - We finish research on Industrialism. No other civilization in the world has yet finished this technology. I immediately switch almost every city in the Empire to building a Factory, and then Coal Plant. We are determined to dominate the manufacturing business. Our Scholars also begin studying The Corporation, to allow us to use our manufacturing prowess to build stock exchanges and then dominate economically as well.

1772 AD - Rome is getting Ancient Cavalry in Madras! How come I didn't get any when I didn't have Metallurgy!?!

Way far up north, England has entered the Industrial Age. Not bad for a Northern Siberian civilization.

1776 AD - The privateer I traine to antagonize Russia with has spotted two Frigates southwest of Australia.

It attacks and sinks. Meh.

1778 AD - You know, I probably could start that big Greece & Byzantium v. Persia & Spain war if I wanted to. A Persian Immortal and Pikeman are staying in Greek territory near Marathon, just asking for an ultimatum.

Once war is declared, I'm sure everything would blow up like the gunpowder south of the city. Both sides can pay to bring in numerous allies, who will bring in more allies, and it'll be the classic Great Industrial Age War.

But I don't want to do that right now. We're still building our factories and railroads for industrial domination. But eventually...

1780 AD - Remember how India is on a 1x1 island? Well...

I decline the offer.

Our Scientists have completed The Corporation. Our next technology will be Electricity. After that, we will research Scientific Method, and attempt to complete the Theory of Evolution.

1784 AD - The city of Pharsalos, on Borneo, has completed our first Factory.

1786 AD - I trade Silks to America for 24 gold per turn. I'm only losing 28 gold per turn at 100% science.

1788 AD - The Aztecs and Hittites signed a mutual protection pact. This does not surprise me. Between them lie the Ottomans, who, though not yet Industrial, have considerable power thanks to their Sipahis. The Inca are the only other possible Ottoman target.

Japan, in southern South America, and Mongolia have also now reached the Industrial Age.

1792 AD - We finish Electricity and begin work on the Scientific Method.

Germany, in the Middle East, now has musketmen, but still is hopelessly backwards.

1796 AD - Persia and America now have Industrialism. We got a good start on building the actual factories, though. Both of them and the Aztecs have Electricity. Looks like they got their priorities switched if you ask me. Several civilizations have Sanitation, but none have yet built hospitals.

Korea contacts me in diplomacy. They are willing to give me Sanitation, World Map, 380 gold, and 184 gold per turn for The Corporation. They know the value of getting a tech no one else has. I don't give it to them of course, but am seriously considering trading it next turn - that much gold will last an awfully long time.

1798 AD - Only Persia comes close to Korea's gold offer. It's not worth losing the tech. I might try something like this later, when I have more than one extra tech.

I renegotiate my deal to export Gems to the Mongols and receive 13 gold per turn rather than 4. I also begin exporting Coal to Spain for 15 gold per turn. They lack iron, so it's really pretty useless to them. The Aztecs won't renew their gem export deal due to financial difficulties, but I get 14 gold per turn from Korea. Overall, I'm making 16 gold per turn more now.

1800 AD - Already our industrialization efforts have raised our manufacturing output by 65-70 megatons per year (to 401 megatons), and we haven't come anywhere close to realizing our full potential. Our century census indicates a population of 14,759,000, of whom 49% can read, a literacy rate of 19th in the world. Lifespan is 42 years, slightly higher than the world average. Our GNP also is now the finest in the world, just shy of 1 billion coin.

1802 AD - We finish the Scientific Method. As soon as Lyons finishes its Coal Plant, we will begin building the Theory of Evolution. In the mean time, we will be researching Sanitation.

1804 AD:

The second war of the Industrial Age (Persia's war against me was the first). But still, there has not been a war with both civilizations being in the Industrial Age. Carthage will not find themselves at too much of a disadvantage, however, as they are behind by only Theory of Gravity in technology. They should be more concerned by the significantly larger city size boasted by Japan.

Lyons begins the Theory of Evolution. It should be complete in 15 turns.

1808 AD - I renew my mutual protection pact with the Byzantines, and sign a right of passage as well.

Still no additional allies in the Carthaginian-Japanese war.

1810 AD - The Celts and Mongols have signed a mutual protection pact. The Old World is being carved into alliances.

We finish researching Sanitation. I'll tackle Ironclads next (they're a seperate technology in Conquests).

We begin working on Universal Suffrage in Paris. Not sure how that works in a Monarchy, but if it prevents another civilization from completing it, we'll invent it.

Pollution is beginning to annoy me. It has struck thrice in Australia and once in Borneo.

1812 - Civil disorder in Avignon (southeast Australia) has destroyed the harbor. That means massive starvation to follow. Looks like I'll have to hurry it - can't let 90% of the occupants starve.

We are now officially the most polluted country in the world. Err - that's not a good thing, is it? But our GNP has surpassed 1 billion coin, a definite positive.

Carthage has entered the Industrial Age. Their war still is quiet.

1816 AD - The Inca have entered the Industrial Age.

Rome and India finally sign a peace treaty. 1086 years of war for them. Rome finally realized it doesn't have Marines.

1818 AD - We discover Ironclads. Nationalism will be our next discovery.

Manufacturing has surpassed 500 megatons, increasing 25% over 18 years.

1822 AD - My scout galley off the coast of Madagascar sinks a Privateer, likely Egyptian. Primitive technology can be so useful.

1826 AD - A cultural expansion of Bangalore has robbed us of our last non-exporting source of incense. We are encensed!

To aright the situation, we hurry a Coal Plant in Eretria and will then have the city build lots and lots of cultural buildings. In the short term, we must resort for the first time to the entertainment slider.

1832 AD - The city of Orleans completes our first Stock Exchange.

1834 AD - Babylon asks for a mutual protection pact. I agree. They may be backwards and small, but more allies cannot be a bad thing.

1836 AD - The Byzantines are cautious towards me! At last our alliance is helping relations!

1838 AD - I am shocked to discover that the Persians, Aztecs, Americans, and Celts already have Replaceable Parts. My research had been going lickity-split, and I didn't think they'd also be going that quickly. Oh well. I'll have to research it soon. Then we can have the Great Infantry War.

1840 AD - Portugal asks for a mutual protection pact. I decline. More allies are good, but Portugal can't help in a war at all. They'd just get us into a war when someone bothered to conquer them.

1842 AD:

This could be the big one. It will be for Carthage even if it isn't for the rest of the New World. The mutual protection pact between the Aztecs and Hittites has not been renewed, so they won't be joining the war. Checking my diplomacy screen, I see only the Celts and Mongols still have their mutual protection pact. But the Carthaginians need allies, whatever the cost. Their city of Theveste has already been razed.

Both rivals have cavalry, but defensively the battle is Musketmen (Carthage) v. Infantry (Aztecs). Among nearby noncombatants, the Maya have Riflemen, and the Americans have Infantry. The Ottomans have Riflemen. If the Carthaginians don't an ally soon, it'll be too late.

1844: The Russians offer me communism. They want way too much for it, and I decline.

We complete the Theory of Evolution in Lyons. We subsequently master Atomic Theory and Replaceable Parts.I set my research on Electronics. After finishing it, I will build Hoover Dam, likely in India. No one else has either Scientific Method or Atomic Theory. My tech lead ought to be more than enough to complete the dam first.

The Celtic city of Lugdunum has completed Universal Suffrage. Better they get it than Theory of Evolution.

Spain, though tied with the Persians, Celts, and Aztecs for the technology lead, is lacking Rubber. Lacking both Rubber and iron means they're done for. At this point, their only hope is to make a rifleman attack against the Mongols or English and try to grab some rubber.

The Carthaginian town of Rusicade, in the Canadian tundra, was lost this turn. The situation is becoming critical.

1848 AD - We complete the Military Academy in Paris, and begin constructing Armies.

The Carthaginian city of Mecca was destroyed. Carthage cannot afford to keep fighting alone.

The Byzantines cancel their mutual protection pact with us. They must not like the potential for a war cascade if Babylon is invaded. I'll try to renew the Byzantine pact after canceling the Babylonian.

The Zulu have signed a military alliance with the Aztecs against Carthage. Not that they'll be of any help, halfway across the world.

Up north, Spain and Scandinavia have signed a mutual protection pact. Doesn't take a career diplomat to figure out they're thinking deterrance against Greek expansion.

1850 AD - The Carthaginian cities of Basra and Leptis Minor were lost to the Aztecs. They're in a slow spiral downwards.

Industrialization is going well, and after 40 turns we have a good number of factories and coal plants. We'll soon be able to pump out units at an overwhelming rate. For the short term, we'll be building stock markets to offset the cost of maintaining all these factories - it's put a significant strain on the science budget. But once those are up, who knows where we could go next...

Next update won't be until at least Wednesday (out of town till then), and may be as late as the weekend of the 28th.

Last edited:
nice man, were looking at a nice world war here.

Been following since the beggining and I have to say this is so damn addicting. Keep it up!

Is there some way to post a non-corruption world map? (I have a mac and thus no civ editor. but not the start as I want to edit victory settings and turns and the like.)

Very nice job, keep up the good work!

j_eps: I've uploaded the Earth map I used for this game (without Greece always being in New Guinea) at the following URL: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=4618 . No idea if it'll work on Macs :confused:, sorry.

I've been out of town and hence the lack of updates. Catching up on work and sleep will take awhile, so I doubt I'll be able to play at all until Friday/Saturday. However, I did play six years past the end of Part Fourteen in my last session, so...

Part Fifteen: War on the Australian Frontiers

1850 AD - The time has come to conquer Russia. There's nothing further to be gained by waiting, unless we want to carpet-bomb them. Right now, they still lack Replaceable Parts. We declare war.

The first step in this war is to pillage their supply of rubber. We send all six of our cavalry to do this.

We then upgrade six front-line Hoplites to Infantry. It is now Russia's turn.

A cossack enters our territory and attacks a Hoplite on a mountain. Babylon, thousands of miles away in Africa, declares war on Russia. The attack succeeds. Russia enters a Golden Age. They then begin an all-out offensive. My six cavalry are mercilessly attacked, and though they turn back a few attackers, they ultimately fall. Russia also targets the Barricade guarding the saltpeter. My musketmen fight well, and this does not fall. Giving up on that objective, Russia directs its Cossacks toward Paris.

1852 AD - The Inca and Ottomans joined the crusade against Carthage. But back to Australia...

At this time, it is time for our hero to return to the story. Pyrrhus has been keeping up his army of Medeival Infantry in Paris for centuries. Now he returns to work, and attacks some Cossacks by Orleans.

He defeats two cossacks while taking just three points of damage.

By Marseilles, an Infantry attacks a Cossack on a mountain and prevents the destruction of a Gem route. A Knight from Chartres proves useful in destroying a Russian source of rubber I had thus far overlooked.

The Knight spots a stack of Pikemen and Medieval Infantry coming our way.

We block off the mountains leading toward Marseilles. They'll have quite a fight to claim that position!

In Orleans and Chartres, conscription begins to help defeat the nearing Cossacks. We don't think it's necessary, but the worst thing that could happen is the city falling.

Things are decently under control. It's Russia's turn again. They make fairly ordinary advances.

1854 AD - Our counterattacks against Russia are going well until Pyrrhus spots...

Infantry.

The only thing we can do is make another lunge at the St. Petersburg rubber. This time we'll send in Infantry, for better defense. Three regular and a conscript infantry are sent in.

Oh, and the latest telegraphs included some rather interesting news...

The Old World conflict has begun. Persia likely has the upper hand, but Egypt must have something on its side to be starting the war.

1856 AD - Russia did not attack our infantry raiding party. They hurry towards St. Petersburg. Many Russian units have already been upgraded, but we must limit the damage as much as possible.

In North America, the city of Hippo has fallen to Japan.

Near Orleans, our war becomes reminiscent of times past as a Greek Swordsman attacks a Russian Spearman. Ah, the memories.

At this point, the war might become a war of attrition, but we feel that if we can deny Russia any more rubber we will have a definite upper hand. After pillaging their rubber, we plan to lay siege to their large cities and slowly bleed them away with our superior defense.

The question for us is, do we let the war continue like this in Australia, or do we send in reinforcements? If we didn't have grandiose delusions elsewhere, it wouldn't be such a difficult question.

Last edited:
I think you should send some reinforcements, preferably artillery, it's the best way to kill the infantry, otherwise you're looking at a massive casualty bill. You might also want to get some railroad in place.
But then again, I don't know how far those 'grandiose delusions' have been planned already, and with Egypt in a war with Persia, the time to strike might be soon.

Great job, Quintillius. A great read, and very to the point. I love the screenshots, and added words on the screenies. I can't wait for the next update.

WAY TO GO!!!!!!:banana: :goodjob: :cool: :goodjob: :king:

(edit) Since the war will go past 2050 AD, what will you do with your Modern Age weapons?

Will you nuke your opponents, or be pure? (Modern armor assault)

Top Bottom