1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Conquest of the World

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Stories & Tales' started by Quintillus, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Okay, okay, calm down! :lol: I've been planning to play tonight. Last night I was at a friend's house playing games and watching movies until midnight. Good times. Tonight I'll have the energy to play Civ afterwards, even I'm out until midnight again.

I have no intention of abandoning the game, just balancing it with normal life a bit. Last week was exam week, so updates fell off the pace a bit.

Yep, that's it. I intentionally chose such a difficult starting location, because I can now (sometimes) beat the game on Monarch. I figured with a year off from CivIII and the poor starting location, things were fairly even for my skill. 2000 AD does look extremely unlikely now, not that I ever thought I would have everything conquered by then, and 2050 AD looks quite unlikely. My very slow expansion early on against the Dutch pretty much guaranteed 2050 wouldn't happen (at least I fought them before they got Swiss Mercenaries!). But that's fine. I didn't anticipate I would conquer the world by 2050 this time when it took me almost that long on Chieftan with a South American start and 16 players. Obviously I'd be worried if I wasn't a superpower by 2050, but not being the sole ruler in the world isn't a huge concern.

Forbidden Palace is indeed just ceremonial decoration. I'm not sure where I'll built it - wherever seems appropriate, I guess.

2. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

He doesn't mean it- he just says things like that. He did the exact same thing in my story thread (see link in sig).

3. dutchking

dutchking Chieftain

Cool, now I want to play Civ III again!

4. 502nd PIR

502nd PIR Rise to Empire

Great update mate. absolutley awesome.

5. Quintillus

Part Seventeen: V for Vendetta

1866 AD - As I resume the game, the default unit selected is the Archer guarding Avignon. I remember the rather ominous situation facing the city:

Well, there's really no two ways about it, if I want to defend that city I need to damage the Cossack below the Musketman. Without that, the Archer to Guerilla upgrade isn't enough. So I bring in the Cavalry.

He attacks the Musketman, and unexpectedly but most satisfyingly defeats the musketman. The Cossack is exposed. I then bring in an Infantry to attack said Cossack.

The Infantry continues the trend and achieves victory. I then send for an Elite Guerilla to destroy the last unit, a Medieval Infantry.

AK-47s easily defeat maces. The threat no longer exists. The Archer will not be upgraded, as it'd be a shame not to have arrows whizzing through the air when there could be.

A good part of this turn had been played in the previous post, so I now turn to the Netherlands, where combat opportunities remain. It is time for my Longbows to attack.

The Longbows are victorious. Macemen then attack Maastricht from the west, and are repelled by the few defenders. No more Greek units can target Maastricht this turn. Just two hitpoints from annihilation, the Dutch will die another day.

Before ending the turn, I remember that I'm running a rather gigantic surplus. I increase science from 50% to 80% and entertainment from 10% to 20%. I'm still making 683 gold per turn. Oh YEAH!!!

1868 AD - Massive We Love the King Day celebrations since the last turn. The people sure love their bread and circuses. 92% currently approve of my rule. Ah, how sweet is approval.

An Egyptian naval convoy unexpectedly appear near Java over the last turn. Although at first its presence made us nervous, it does not appear to have invasion as a goal. More likely, it is heading to fight Egypt's enemies in Rome, Celts, or Persia.

Speaking of that war, I remember that I now have tons of money, and plant a spy in Rome. Their unimpressive army is as follows:

I then fail to plant spies in America and Aztecs. And the bloody Aztecs declare war on me, costing me 308 gold per turn. Now that's just asking for it. I'm so upset I forget to take a screenshot. Well, they'll pay for this, in blood.

So I try to plant more spies to figure out whom to align against them. Bad idea.

I didn't know so many people hated us this much before. Oh well. The Aztecs will still die.

The first step is establishing an embassy in Chichen Itza. The Maya have a lot of Riflemen, Longbows, and Musketmen. Nothing too impressive, but we need their help against the Aztecs.

That's one ally.

There's two.

I then proceed to sell the Maya Electricity and Replaceable Parts at rock-bottom prices, to help them fight the Aztec menace. A gift of 500 gold then allows them the funds to upgrade their military and improves our diplomatic standing to Polite.

So that's how the espionage is going. Decidedly worse than how James Bond does it. Our agents are rubbish. Always failing on the most important missions. That Aztec loss is huge, and the Greek King (me!) is more than upset. But it's not just the spy's fault. The Aztecs obviously don't understand the concept of a proportional response. You don't start a war AND cancel 5700 gold in payments over planting a spy. You demand a World Map and 52 gold or something like that.

See, here's why. The world doesn't like it when you use unproportional response. If they had asked for small reparations, they score diplomatically and Greece loses. But they just shot their credit rating with a battleship shell. If they'll cancel 5.7 billion in loans over one spy, you better believe no one's going to trade with them. Now, Greece is the victim. Yes, Greece made a mistake, but the Aztecs threw diplomacy out the window.

So, back to the diplomatic front. I'm still quite :mad: at the Aztecs, so I decide to stick it to them a bit more. It's time for massive embargoing. I sign the Zulu, Iroquois, Maya, Germans, Romans, Celts, Americans, Egyptians, Babylonians, Mongols, Persians, Hittites, Inca, Byzantines, Carthaginians, Koreans, Indians, and Portuguese in trade embargoes against the Aztecs. Only the Scandinavians refuse. They will not sign it for anything. They're exporting either iron, coal, saltpeter, or incense to the Aztecs. But then I think, hmm, maybe they'll declare war on the Aztecs. And what do you know...

That's one further ally. Of course, what I really care about is that it's one fewer trading partner for the Aztecs. A survery of the Aztec lands show it's incense that the Vikings were exporting. Hopefully this deal will cause a big stink in Tenochtitlan.

I then establish embassies in Japan and Spain just so I can sign more embargoes, which both agree to.

Well, by now you've probably realized just how annoyed I am at the Aztecs. But it's time to move on. It's time to go back to the home front, however much I want to keep stirring up more anti-Aztec sentiment. It's time to conquer the Dutch.

And that we do.

Back on the Australian front, we have a slight problem near Marseilles:

A Cavalry defeats one Cossack, and the other is neutralized by drafting two Infantry. Crisis is once again averted.

By Yekaterinburg, the time for Pyrrhus to lead the charge has come again.

He wins. The Elite Infantry east of the town then attacks and loses. Another Infantry defeats the wounded Musketman. A Conscript Rifleman now stands guard. Pyrrhus charges. It is no contest. Yekaterinburg falls.

We're still royally ticked at the Aztecs. The only Verdict is Vengeance, a Vendetta, held as a Votive, not in Vain, for the Value and Veracity of such shall one day Vindicate the Virtuous. And the Virtuous, of course, are the Greeks :D!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  6. dutchking

dutchking Chieftain

Could you post another World Map of what is going on?

7. choxorn

And troop counts of the AI you have spies with?

You used V to much...

8. metamike

metamike Chieftain

Nicely done!

And isn't that a quote from V for Vendetta?

9. dutchking

dutchking Chieftain

I love Civ.:beer:

10. CivRulesAll

CivRulesAll The Void Beyond

wow. i still cant get the no corruption though!!!!!:mad:

11. metamike

metamike Chieftain

:) I'd enjoy seeing you do the same map but Sid with Corruption sometime.

This is Conquest of the World Handicap, but that would like...

Words cannot express it.

12. Quintillus

I'd be lucky to last three turns! Monarch is the highest level I've ever won on. If I wanted to, I could practice and win on Emperor or even Demigod, but I'd rather win 80% of the time and have the flexibility of building Temples and Colosseums.

There was one time I tried Diety (Vanilla I think) and I was actually winning. Somehow my Germans got the upper hand on the Russians and took over the entire island-continent. But then the other two civs took over the rest of the world and my 30% or so land area proved way too inadequate. Oh well, at least I won one Diety war.

I might try Monarch sometime, with a slightly better starting location. But that'd be awhile. My next conquest will not be with the same conditions :).

If you go to the first post on page 3 (assuming default # of posts per page), I have a post explaining how to set up no corruption. If you still can't get no corruption, please post again saying where the problem is occuring. If you just want the Earth 31 No Corruption map, view my profile and you'll find it under Quintillus's Files.

Don't we all? :)

Yep, it is. One of my favorite movies of all time, and the Aztecs certainly deserve a Greek Vendetta after what they've done!

After the next session, perhaps? There's only been two changes since the previous map post (just one turn before): Yekaterinburg has been taken by Greece (in Australia's Northern Territory), and an Egyptian town has been razed near their border with Rome. The most recent World Map post is in Part Sixteen: Striking it Rich on page 4.

I'll post the troop counts of the AI's I haven't yet done so for (there aren't too many IIRC), and keep them updated as the situation calls for it. I don't check each one every turn.

Sorry, direct quote :). I couldn't resist using my second-favorite quote from my favorite movie when it lined up perfectly with the story.

13. CivRulesAll

i dont know how to change the file from .biq to .bic

14. dutchking

dutchking Chieftain

"After the next session, perhaps? There's only been two changes since the previous map post (just one turn before): Yekaterinburg has been taken by Greece (in Australia's Northern Territory), and an Egyptian town has been razed near their border with Rome. The most recent World Map post is in Part Sixteen: Striking it Rich on page 4."--Quintillus

Okay, I'll wait :)

15. choxorn

Neither do I- you can't just delete the "q" and put in a "c".

16. Quintillus

.biq is the Conquests editor files and .bic is the Civilization III vanilla editor files. So you can't convert .biq to .bic.

CivRulesAll and Choxorn, according to your profiles you both have Conquests. So the scenario should load and play perfectly. Just save it in Civilization III>Scenarios and it should appear in CivContent and be playable.

17. choxorn

Yes, but, you made this a Conquests scenario.

18. CivRulesAll

woot! i got the file! im playing right now!

19. CivRulesAll

heres how my start looks like, not good huh? anyway, i hope youll have better luck than me in your wars.

20. CivRulesAll

when are you going to continue?