1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Conquest of the World

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Stories & Tales' started by Quintillus, Apr 2, 2007.

1. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

@Chaos Arbiter: Everyone but the Americans, Mayans, Mongols, and Babylonians.

Well Quint, you're officially screwed. I guess you can take all of Madagascar, though!

As for South America, suggested course: Abandon that conquest for now. The Ottomans or Hittites are going take Iznik and Ankuwa soon, for sure.

2. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Yeah, it's rather inconvenient. At least the Ottomans and Byzantines are still Cautious with me. That means that if I don't destroy them they might be friends again - though not particularly trustworthy friends. But I'm not sure they aren't going to be destroyed.

Correct on the peace list. Now you know why it was meaningless to comment on suggestions to invade the Mongol and/or Babylonian territory in Africa...the Byzantines had already given me more than enough war for now in the Old World.

I don't think I have any choice than to give up on advancing in South America. The Ottomans have the reinforcement route entirely blocked, and I don't have enough troops to break through them right now. The only good thing is that the Hittites are still at war with the Japanese. I'm planning a defensive strategy in Ankuwa and Iznik, and the stranded troops are either going to try to get to one of those cities (a long march), or are going to try to take an Ottoman city and defend from there. It all depends on spy reports. I'll keep shipping in troops from Australia, and maybe a few via transport across the Atlantic if things go well in Asia (which is a big if considering the Byzantine war.

In Asia, I'm considering making peace with Persia and signing an alliance with them against the Byzantines, thus ensuring those two don't make peace (which would put all the Byzantine and Persian forces against me). The war will probably refocus to the south to take the many Byzantine cities just north of my main Asian landmass.

I think we'll survive, though - at this point, I'm pretty sure the world is not enough to stop us.

3. Kietharr

Kietharr Prince

Pull out of South America, make peace with Korea and take out the Byzantines for being traitors. Maybe even make peace with the Persians for the time being to devote more resources to killing the fragmented Byzantine Empire. Due to the fact that most of their cities are seperated from their core they should go down fast with most of your military focused on them. You might want to consider focusing your South American army on retaking Tarsus and holding it indefinately to draw out attacks from Japan, Hitties and the Ottomans as well as depriving them of rubber. That way you probably won't have to deal with random stacks of infantry being landed in Australia or Polynesia.

4. choxorn

Yeah, the good thing about the situation in South America is that the 4 civs there are all at war with each other (right?), so they'll probably be busy fighting each other rather than fighting you. :lol:

5. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Kill the Byzantines! Make them pay! Arrrhg! :mad: :mad: :mad: :nuke: :mad: :mad: :mad: :nuke: :nuke: :nuke: :mad: :mad: :mad: !!!!!!

It's a telling measure that I actually got mad when I read about the Byzantines' betrayal of brotherhood. (alliteration, hell yeah.)

Blast. :sad: :blush:

My advice is to abandon your rather tenuous grip on South America, retreating back to Central America. Try to make a separate peace with Persia.

6. D0NIMATRIX

D0NIMATRIX Full of drivel

The Byzantines have signed their own death warrant:
    1)They declared war on you, and they're sandwiched and spread out, so you can theoretically take out the bulk of their empire in one turn if you play your cards right.
    2)They ruined their reputation.

Try to devote most of your economy to taking those traitors out! Then go sip some tea and comment upon the day's events: "Oh, I daresay I über-poned those Byzantines today."

7. Quintillus

I can't pull out of South America. The path is decidedly blocked, and I lack Transports within thousands of miles of the continent. Tarsus was reinforced well enough that taking it back isn't a viable option anymore, either. Here's a map of the South American situation:

Spoiler kinda large map :

I was surprised by the Byzantine betrayal, but it wasn't until the Ottomans also declared war that I got up and ate some cookies. One betrayal I could deal with, but two the same turn? :sad:

The entire continent is at war less the Inca & Hittites, and possibly the Inca & Japanese (I don't have diplomatic contact with either, but I don't think they're at war). I'm at war with the entire continent.

:lol: The nearby Starbucks does serve some tea that I've heard is rather good. Unfortunately, given my troop situation, the chance of me taking out their empire in one turn is nil. If I had that powerful of an army, I'd already have all of Asia.

And...welcome to the thread, Kietharr! [party]

8. ChaosArbiter

ChaosArbiter King

Well, you could still make it out from S. America to Tenochtitlan. Move your Artillery, Tanks, and Infantry to the West until you get onto Mountains, then stay on them as you move north; abandon the two cities you took when it's near enough that the defenders can join the stack. Since none of the Ottoman cities actually block your way, as long as you stay on Mountains/Hills you should be able to make it out with few or no casualties.

Failing that, I would abandon one city and hole up everyone in the other.

9. Luumi

Luumi Chieftain

You have to make make peace with the Persians and ally with them against the Koreans & Bizantines, or at least against the Bizantines. Persia might no longer be at its prime, but having an air-capable enemy between their borders should cause enough of a ruckus to give you an opportunity to regain your momentum. :scan: You should even accept giving them a harmless tech like Advanced Flight, it would still be cheap.

Try to do the same thing with the Hittites too... :)

10. choxorn

Wow, the Ottomans have some small cities! Or should I say, Towns, since not one of them is big enough to be a city. :rolleyes:

Hey, BTW, what's the new Aztec capital?

11. Quintillus

The troops near Ugarit are too far out to get to the mountains in time...the others could have, but I decided to try to keep the cities instead (already played the turn).

Persia is Scientific, thus giving them a tech would possible put them in the Modern Age with TOW or Mech Inf - certainly not something I want, especially since they might trade it. Even giving them tanks could result in that if they're researching Radio right now. If I give them Radio and they're researching tanks, it's the same situation. There really is no "harmless" tech to give them. Advanced Flight more or less would be, but fortunately they can't research it yet.

The new Aztec capital is Tlacopan! Home of J.S. Bach's Cathedral and bane of the Americans!

12. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

Man! I just hate it whent that kind of thing happens (unless I'm in a situation similar to yours... I always play with my Sierra Club Variant, so I never am hampered by pollution, and thus when attacked and have all my major cities producing military units, I can hump out about a dozen tanks, marines, etc per turn)....

....And the Americans STILL haven't captured Tlacopan?!?! :lol: How l4m3 can you get?!

13. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

. .. .. .. .. I'd pull everyone back to one city, then, rush some walls, and hope for the best.

14. Ryyrk

Ryyrk Chronic Underposter

@Tasselhoff, why oh why do you insult my Germans. I always play as them, and I always pwn Joan d'Arc, and Catherine...Then the Americans, not suffering from a war come and put me in my place...Even though I end up nuking their entire land mass............

And, I think a fortress setup wouldn't be the best idea right now, at least, if I'm reading this right it isn't. The people who inhabit SA, too lazy to go check, don't have any Bombers yet, right? Then just produce the hell outta the cities and make a couple tanks or something, protect it, but don't recall your forces.

Also, the place that's currently in siege? Take it! More targets=less focused firepower, provided that your opposition is dumb enough, like most AI's, to divide their firepower.

15. choxorn

The Inhabitants are the Inca, Ottomans, Japanese, and Hittites. There's only one Oil source in all of South America, and it's near the Japanese city of Kyoto. I don't think the Japanese have flight.

Agreed on Ugarit, if you can't get those troops out of there, arty bombard it and take the city with those Tanks!

Well, they'll probably make it a priority now that Tlacopan is the Aztec capital.

16. D0NIMATRIX

Take Ajax and Theodoris Koloktronis (sp?) and try to at least get two Byzantine cities. Seeing where they are technologically, they're in for a beating.

17. Tasslehoff

Tasslehoff Kender

Stupid Germans DoWed on me in my first Regent Game despite a MA against the Carthaginians, the turn before I made Carthage into an Island 1CC... Then, they ROP+MPP raped me and destroyed a city the turn before I was going to ROP+MPP rape them...

So I über-pwned them with the tanks I had set up for the rape.

Anyway... I think you should just abandon the cities in S. America, Quintillius, and then randomly kill S. American units until all your units die. Not particularly helpful, but certainly fun.

18. 3Davideo

3Davideo Chieftain

Hmmm. I say somehow get Persia to fight Korea. A bonus would be Korea vs. Byzantines, but you'll be able to take them out anyway, I think.

Also, Germans are my favorite civ in Civ III vanilla. I play at Monarch, so 70 panzers against a world of musketmen and rifles for the most advanced nations is awesome.

19. D0NIMATRIX

20. Quintillus

Only time will tell. It is pretty pitiful. But Cavalry just ain't as powerful as Tanks.

Sounds like a solid plan. Unfortunately, I'd already played the next two turns by the time I read this...

I fear that would be suicide. :suicide:

Korea vs. Persia would be good...the two other Air Force civs fighting each other.

For the longest time I played Germany half the time in Civ4 because of Panzers...rarely was able to effectively utilize them, though. Never got that into them in CivIII though. They certainly would be a fearsome force against Rifles and Muskets, though. Being so far ahead on Monarch is quite impressive.

And welcome to CFC!!! [party] You've joined the ranks of posters who've made their first post in this thread! choxorn will probably have an updated tally of the number by tomorrow night.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Photobucket usage is increasing, not surprisingly given the plurality of my updates this month are quite recently. We're now on pace for 98%. Thus I'm planning to post the next update from another photo source. Most unfortunately, quintillus.googlepages.com was already taken :(. A quick search reveals another Quintillus on an automotive forum who probably already has that email address (no connection to me - I don't even own a car). There's also one at a travel site with no connection to me that may have claimed the email address. Therefore I chose http:\\quintillus.cfc.googlepages.com . The site is currently rather minimalist, serving mainly as a photo dump, but may be expanded later.

Update coming tomorrow. I'm catching a bit of sleep now. 7 AM GMT doesn't seem to be our busiest time, after all.