Conquest of the World

Your reputation Is allready ruined, right?

You could sign a peace treaty with persia or korea, And get the other to sign an alliance v.s. the other civ.

Sounds kind of like cheating, But atleast korea has to get through the persians first.

choxorn will probably have an updated tally of the number by tomorrow night.

Choxorn has gotten tired of doing that.

Oh, and welcome to CFC, 3Davideo! I think now this thread has even more first posts that Coinich's story!

I've been Gone Way To Long!!!

#1: Wow. That was, most inlightening... can my title be updated now?

#2: Do things in this order: Give up all hope in South America, Fly the white flag with as many enemies as posible, ally with Persia against Byzantines, build nothing but units, reinforce main cities, and hope you survive.

#3: Welcome to CFC, 3Davideo! :woohoo: [party] :band: :ar15:

Your reputation Is allready ruined, right?

You could sign a peace treaty with persia or korea, And get the other to sign an alliance v.s. the other civ.

Sounds kind of like cheating, But atleast korea has to get through the persians first.

And then make peace with the other one so I have peace with both while they kill each other? True, my reputation is already ruined (thanks to one Hoplite near Delhi when I declared war on them in 1300 AD), but I'm still going to try to keep it in good shape...at least unless I decide just to DoW everyone someday. It's still decent enough that I can get Rights of Passage for a moderately low cost.

Logitech said:
#2: Do things in this order: Give up all hope in South America, Fly the white flag with as many enemies as posible, ally with Persia against Byzantines, build nothing but units, reinforce main cities, and hope you survive.

Considering I've already played two turns, not bad with the predictions. I'll have to double-check your original prophecy, but maybe you should be "The Prophet" instead of "Real World Moder".

1970 AD - Our Scientists, working at breakneck speed the past four years and breaking the budget several times over in the process, complete a great breakthrough in electricity this year!

Unfortunately, the state of the treasury mandates a breakdown in scientific funding, as at the current rate of research, pretty soon Greece will be broke.

The decade begins with much war going on. We've got a pretty bad-looking Diplomacy screen.

Making the easy decision first, we decide to attack Antalya in Madagascar. That'll teach the Ottomans not to declare war on us!

The much tougher decision is what to do in South America.

The Lieutenant General leading the campaign in Brazil radioed to Athens to get advice on the situation, having just received notice from an Ottoman messenger that Greece and the Ottomans were now in a state of war. When he had first heard this, he had thought it absurd, but the messenger insisted on his seriousness, and had what appeared to be official documents.

"Hello? Sorry to call in the middle of the night, but I've received word that we're at war with the Ottomans. Is this true?" he asked.

"Yes, they declared war a few hours ago, the infidels," replied the secretary. "Hold on, the King asked to talk with you when you called," she added, and went to find the King.

Wow, thought the Lieutenant General. The King. But as he thought on it, he realized why. The Ottomans obviously knew exactly where they were, and turning to the Hittites for shelter was an impossibility. The plan had been to eventually move on Ugarit when reinforcements arrived, but that depended on the right of passage agreement with the Ottomans. Now that war had been declared, not only were reinforcements not coming, but his army was genuinely trapped -

"Hello, Lieutenant General?" said the King.

"Yes, Your Honour," replied the Lieutenant General.

"We realize your army is in a bit of a tough position given the recent declaration of war. We're formulating a strategy right now. A spy is investigating the Ottoman city of Edrine to your north, and if it is poorly defended, we may have you seek shelter there. If it is too well defended, we will have you move west to Iznik or Ankuwa. Moving against the Hittites at this time is, as I'm sure you know, an impossibility. However, you will have the support of the aircraft carrier off the Hittite east coast helping destroy any troops you encounter and doing its best to deny the Ottomans and Hittites resources. They spy should complete her report within the next day and a half. In the mean time, I would like you to bring your army together as one, withdrawing the siege form Ugarit. How spread out is your army at this time?"

"We have one tank unit southwest of Ugarit and one northeast, Sire," replied the Lieutenant General. "The rest are all here with me. It will take about eighteen months for all of the troops to join together."

"Very well," said the King. "Have them start joining at once. You'll have to be on the lookout for Ottoman attacks on the short-term - we don't know from here what their attack plans are. I will call you back on the radio when the spy completes her report."

"It shall be done," replied the Lietenant General. He could hardly believe he had just spoke with the King of the Greek Empire. Very few of the forty-five million citizens ever got a chance to do so, even amongst those fairly high up in the military, as he was. The King was the most powerful man in the world, and he couldn't devote much of his time to trivial matters - of course an army being stranded in the Amazon was no trivial matter, and the Lietenant knew that however hard he, his troops, and Athens worked, in the end his fate depended mostly on the actions of the Hittites and Ottomans. He would live and die with his army.

Thirty-eight hours later, the King was on the radio again.

"General, our spy has completed her report. The Ottomans have as many group troops in Edrine as there are in your entire army. However, they have only one group of ancient Trebuchets for artillery. We believe that with artillery and air support, your forces could take the city. Do you agree?"

"Certainly, your honour. All is contingent on our troops surviving to the gates of the city, of course, but with my current numbers, we could certainly take the city."

"Excellent. Also - we have promoted you to general. Considering the impossibility of any higher commander arriving anytime soon, it only made sense."

"Thank you very much, my liege," replied the Lieutenant General. This had to be the best day of his life - being promoted by the King himself. Never mind that he was still utterly surrounded by enemies!

To the north, reinforcements were beginning the long, slow trek to meet up with the trapped troops.

Korea still wants Motorized Transportation for peace, so we have to decide whether to take Namp'o, destroying their air force but leaving our troops dangerously exposed to counterattacks, or to stay at Inch'on and use Flak to wear them down. In the end the temptation to rub it in their face that they don't have tanks wins out, and we advance.

Once again one army does great while another struggles, but wins in the end. Korea still has at least one Regular Infantry, but all we've got left within distance this turn is a three-hitpoint army, so we decide to finish the advance next turn.

My next advance is against Santiago, Spain. Planned last turn, we see no reason to cancel the advance in light of the recent betrayal by the Byzantines.

Rather than turn back any tanks to take the Byzantine ground seperating Spain from our main lands, we keep right on advancing. Madrid is our next target.

We then begin our movement against the Byzantines. Our very first attack against them yields...

A great leader! It almost seems like a sign that we are destined to win. We name this leader Dienekes. I consider a Paratrooper Army - how cool would a whole army parachuting down on an enemy island be? - but ultimately decide on another Tank army. Maybe we'll build a Modern Paratrooper army someday. Regular ones just don't have that strong of an attack.

Alas, we have not enough troops to advance farther against the Byzantines than one attack on a redlined Cavalry. Thus we are forced to wait and see what they do in response. But first, we decide to strike a deal with Xerxes. One fewer enemy, especially when that enemy is relatively strong, is always a good thing, and this way they won't make peace with the Byzantines and then throw all their weight at me.

The peace deal also ends three embargoes against us, though none of that matters, as we're at war with all the other embargo partners. We then look for further deals. One possibility is a Mututal Protection Pact with my historic worst enemy. But seeing as how Xerxes wants Saltpeter, Iron, Radio, Motorized Transportation, a World Map, 105 gold per turn, and 1124 gold lump sum for such a deal (can't blame him, either, with all our wars) we don't go for that possibility. Instead we strike this deal.

Sorry, Theodora. Maybe you shouldn't have declared war on us?

We also strike a nice luxury export deal, helping our treasury a good deal (89 GPT overall). Persia is still Furious with us, but at least the deals are profitable.

The Maya aren't as willing to make deals. They call my four luxuries "rubbish".

And they call that "polite"? :confused:

America, however, agrees to a good deal for Furs.

At long last we have all luxuries! On that happy note, we end the turn.

1970 IBT -

Maybe that's why they weren't being so polite...

How embarrassing. We lost the army of Theodoros Kolokotronis to a two-hitpoint Marine. I forgot the AI readily attacked injured armies and armies in cities, and, well, that was the result. It's the first modern army we've lost.

"Sipahi approaching from the west!!!" yelled a scout just back from a reconnaissance mission with the westernmost tanks in the Amazon basin. "They'll be here in nary an hour!"

The Brigadier looked around, then ordered, "Set up defenses along the river!" He then called the General.

"Well, there's little you can do. They're dangerous; I wish you luck," the General replied.

The Sipahi came quickly, and while rather large targets for the tanks, they had an uncanny habit of picking off turret gunners with their pistols. The Brigadier was amazed at this - who would have thought they could be so accurate? But they were. Still, machine guns beat pistols any day, and the Sipahi were ultimately defeated. But the losses did not bear well for the army.

The Byzantines are more potent, forcing several tanks to retreat and killing one. Then they go for the jugular.

I really need to take Trebizond. Once again my eastern and western possessions in Asia/Africa are split in half - just like when the Celts attacked me.

I mentioned during the comments that the only good thing in South America was that the Hittites were still at war with Japan. Well, guess what, they aren't anymore. It seems like everything that could possibly go wrong, is. I'm even more glad I made peace with Persia now.

The same tank unit in the Amazon that had earlier been attacked was weeks later by the Hittites. This time they did not spot the Cavalry early, and lost several hundred metres of land over which they could have otherwise fired at the Cavalry with their machine guns. This was to prove crucial. The Cavalry managed to reach the tanks still alive, and once surrounded by men with guns at bayonet-length, the tanks were in trouble. The Brigadier, realizing all was lost, tried to escape to the main army in his car, but crashed into a ditch just a few miles out and was captured. The tanks were left burning on the battlefield, useless to the backwards Hittites. One Tank unit of three had now been lost.

Just a few days later, the Hittites launched a two-pronged attack on the other group of tanks not yet with the main army, from the southeast and the west. The brigadier of this unit called the General.

"Sir, they're coming at us from two directions, and they're faster than us! What do you advise?"

"Half your tanks against each?" suggested the General nonchalantly, though he was actually quite concerned. Even the loss of the one tank regiment was a great danger to his army, another loss might well be too much. But he knew he had to reassure the worried Brigadier. "You've spotted them in plenty of time; I'm confident you can stop them. Horses were obsolete decades ago, anyways."

The battle was difficult. It was a rainy day, and the tanks' mobility was limited. Seemingly boding a loss for the Greeks, one tank was struck by lightning and blew up minutes into the battle. The Hitties took much encouragement from this, and attacked with renewed fervor. But within seconds of the unusual explosion the other Greeks were back on focus, and the Hittite momentum was reversed. Casualties were still high, however - three-fifths of the unit being lost - and the efforts to take Edrine had been dealt another blow.

To the West, the Hittites launched a failed attack on the city of Iznik.

Oh yeah, forgot about the Aztec fleet approaching during the last update. That was the other thing that was going wrong. Fortunately it's just another Jaguar Warrior! :lol: Would've thought they'd've realized they were obsolete a few millenia ago.

The Maya launch a several-Cavalry attack on Texcoco, but fail to take it. Still, they have nine units ready to attack next turn - no force to laugh at.

Whoops. I don't play at monarch. I play at Warlord. My bad :rolleyes:

EDIT: Cool. First post after update.

Prediction: Persia's gonna declare war on you, again, pretty soon.

Did that 2hp Marine capture Chengdu?

Oh, and don't make Paratrooper Armies- they can't airdrop.

Hang in there--things look to be taking a turn for the worse. At worst, you'll lose your South American Army, and you'll have to halt your efforts in Africa to defend against attacks down there. You may lose some African possessions, but I don't think it can get any worse than all that.

Try to get as many non-traitor Civs you're at war with to make peace, and further spread military alliances against the traitors. Then they'll kill each other and you can just watch.

In South America, try to get to your two cities, seeing as I doubt that the stack there will capture its target. Make that new army into a tank army, as someone said, airdrop isn't kept as a power.

BTW do you have the MA anywhere? If so start making armies galore.

Congrats Quintillus and choxorn for 1000 and 3000 posts!

{Qu's Civ Battles!}

Ouch! Oof! Err...!
"Come on! Hit 'em in the chest!!!..."
[Bangalore falls] Booo!!!
"The shin, THE SHIN!!!
[You to Wan Kon]: "Is that your best?"
Theodora: "I've been waiting a Loong time for this!"
Pow! Oof! Agh! Ogh!
'Mayans grab gun' "Taste this, Greece!"

Oh well...
Wait!... I'm getting a civ-prophacy!...

"You will lose a great many cities before you get your revenge...":mischief:

Wait, no that's not the right one :rolleyes: ...Ah, here it is:

The south american assult party is kinda going kamakaze. :hammer2: But if they're Klingons, I guess that would be the honorable way to go... :worship:
As for Persia, they will stand where they are, for now. You will need to get more friends before America (hypotheticaly speaking) also jumps on the dark boat... :nya:
Sugjestion: ??? (I'll think about it...)

Edit: Oh yeah: Good luck!

America's still friendly. Quint could get them to fight the Maya for him. :mischief:

Prediction: Persia's gonna declare war on you, again, pretty soon.

Did that 2hp Marine capture Chengdu?

Oh, and don't make Paratrooper Armies- they can't airdrop.

Nope, I also had a one-or-two hitpoint tank in Chendgu, so I didn't lose the city.

Blows that paratrooper armies can't capture cities - Marine armies can attack amphibiously, though, right? I thought you did that a couple times in your story. Haven't tested it yet with mine.

Hang in there--things look to be taking a turn for the worse. At worst, you'll lose your South American Army, and you'll have to halt your efforts in Africa to defend against attacks down there. You may lose some African possessions, but I don't think it can get any worse than all that.

I don't think they'll get to Africa - only if the Mongols declare war should Africa be a problem. Babylon I could crush pretty easily. It's the Mideast/China that is probably in the most danger.

Wow, that was a painful IBT...

It wasn't the best one ever for Greece. But I think we'll recover fairly quickly.

I would have preferred the Maya stay at peace at least - that just makes the New World situation even worse.

Try to get as many non-traitor Civs you're at war with to make peace, and further spread military alliances against the traitors. Then they'll kill each other and you can just watch.

In South America, try to get to your two cities, seeing as I doubt that the stack there will capture its target. Make that new army into a tank army, as someone said, airdrop isn't kept as a power.

BTW do you have the MA anywhere? If so start making armies galore.

Congrats Quintillus and choxorn for 1000 and 3000 posts!

Spain actually is the only Civ I'm still consistently taking cities from; couldn't hurt to make peace with the British Empire, though, I suppose. Even the Aztecs, really, seeing as how the Maya are my chief concern in North America at the moment.

Military Academy is in Paris. I don't like to crank out armies, though, because I feel it's rather cheap considering that the AI doesn't know how to use them. I'll take the ones I get from leaders, and will build up to 3 from the MA (to get the Pentagon) but I don't see the fun in having 50 armies and almost never losing a unit. It's almost necessary at the higher levels, but for Regent and Monarch, I'd rather not create lots of armies from the military academy - especially considering I'm getting a decent amount from leaders already.

But if the Americans attack the Mayans then they will never get around to attacking Tlacopan!

:lol: True. Not to mention that I'd rather keep all the cities for myself. Though it might take awhile given the current state of affairs.

Yes, Marine Armies keep Amphibious. But, since Armies in general can't airlift, Paratrooper Armies can't either, and that includes airdrop.

In other words, Paratrooper Armies=Useless.

Don't make peace with the evil Aztecs! Besides, they only have, what, 6 cities left?

He should consider opening relations with the Aztecs, unless outside deals & alliances restict that posibility. I'm in favor of getting America go to war against Maya, if they aren't already.

Qu: Pull your main offencive forces from Africa & Spain. Regroup them in the holy land and invade Byzantum Like you never invaded before.:rolleyes: Before that, build your air army, say 18 fighters, 20 bombers, and ravige all of Byzantine. It's your only hope!

What I try for in my late-industrial armies is 1/3 tanks and 2/3 bombers, because they run little risk of death, while tanks get über-pwned because of our good ol' friend the RNG.

Bah! You can't have a Blitzkrieg without Panzers.

You can have effective combined-arms warfare, though.

I also tend to lean heavily towards bombers, Dom. Victory, thy name is Lethal Land Bombardment! :bowdown: :king:

EDIT: Oh yeah, killing stuff with bombers becomes easier when I remember that stack of 100+ artillery I have sitting around. I bombard with artillery for redline, then bombers go in the for the kill.

He should consider opening relations with the Aztecs, unless outside deals & alliances restict that posibility. I'm in favor of getting America go to war against Maya, if they aren't already.

Qu: Pull your main offencive forces from Africa & Spain. Regroup them in the holy land and invade Byzantum Like you never invaded before.:rolleyes: Before that, build your air army, say 18 fighters, 20 bombers, and ravige all of Byzantine. It's your only hope!

My only hope? I don't think it's quite that dire! I'll start worrying when they take Hoover Dam and repel my initial attempts to retake it. The Spanish Offensive will continue until I run out of troops to continue it with; the Byzantines are not a great deal more dangerous than the Spanish. I'm already at one troop per city across Africa, so I can't pull out of there at all unless I trust the Mongols and Babylonians - which, if the Byzantines, Ottomans, and Mayans are any indication, isn't a safe assumption these days.

Exactly. Take a bunch of bombers and a few tanks and show the Byzantines the meaning of

BLITZKRIEG!

What I try for in my late-industrial armies is 1/3 tanks and 2/3 bombers, because they run little risk of death, while tanks get über-pwned because of our good ol' friend the RNG.

I probably should build a larger air force; the Koreans pwned my first one just like they pwned the Iroquois before it got to do hardly any damage. Right now I still need some more Tanks and Fighters to secure my own land, but I do hope to launch a genuine Blitzkrieg at some point. Even if I don't have Panzers.

EDIT: Oh yeah, my stack of 19 Artillery is in Spain and seperated from the main action by a lack of roads and rails. Once that problem gets fixed (have to pull my workers from pollution duty for awhile), they ought to be back in on the action. Right now they can't keep up with my Tank armies in Spain.

Top Bottom