Conquistadors & Spy Spawning

CheesyFeet

Chieftain
Hi

Please can anyone help with the following two questions? (I've tried using the search box here and via Google but can't find the answer).

1. When do spies spawn? The only information I can find says you get a spy when you enter a new era, but I'm in the Renaissance era and still only have one spy.

2. How does the 'Found Overseas City' special ability work for the Conquistador? According to the in game civilopedia, the unit should be able to found an advanced city on a new continent. In my current game I have a conquistador on a new continent but there is no button to found a city

I'm playing as Spain on standard continents map using version 6-19-2 on Emperor difficulty and epic game length

Hi

Please can anyone help with the following two questions? (I've tried using the search box here and via Google but can't find the answer).

1. When do spies spawn? The only information I can find says you get a spy when you enter a new era, but I'm in the Renaissance era and still only have one spy.

2. How does the 'Found Overseas City' special ability work for the Conquistador? According to the in game civilopedia, the unit should be able to found an advanced city on a new continent. In my current game I have a conquistador on a new continent but there is no button to found a city

I'm playing as Spain on standard continents map using version 6-19-2 on Emperor difficulty and epic game length

Spies first start in renassance, then you get one each era after that.

check your happiness, you can’t make new cities if your in super negatives so that could be why

check your happiness, you can’t make new cities if your in super negatives so that could be why

Thanks for the rapid reply and spy info.

Re Conquistadors, my current happiness level is 65 happy / 20 unhappy so I don't think that's the answer.

Are you too close to another city?

I'm 5 spaces from Jerusalem so that should be ok (I've attached a screenshot). This is my second game as Spain, same thing happened in my last game i.e not being able to found city with the Conquistador. I was using the Communitu_79a map on the last game and thought that maybe the map script was causing the problem so restarted this current game on a standard continents map after re-installing and validating files via steam etc

Sorry about being in the wrong section BTW, first post here for me after years of lurking :shifty:
Conquistador.png

I think Conquistadors can only settle cities when at full health.

I've just re-loaded my other save from the Communitu_79a map I mentioned above, and my Conquistador in that was at full health and nowhere near a city, still no option to found city that I could see. I can't try to heal the unit in the screenshot to check this as the next turn Denmark founds a city in the only available space

Can it be because of the interface bugging? It looks like there is no room in the unit corner to place another button to enable founding the city. You can force the game to use small interface in the main options menu before loading that save and see if that helps. You can then revert if you don't like small UI.
My second guess would be because he is conscript from authority? Does he have exactly the same promotions as conquistador built or purchased normally?
You can't make a city if its within three tiles of another city, if it touches someone's border (you border does not count), and if your empire is unhappy. It's clearly none of these on the screenshot. A pity this Danish settler will spawn a city there.
Espionage is enabled when any of the civs will reach renaissance, it doesn't have to be you.

For the spy query, and to be very specific:

When ANY player enters the Renaissance, ALL players get their first spy (or set of spies on maps with more players). Thereafter, any time YOU enter a new era AFTER renaissance, you get your next spy (or set of spies).

So basically, you get your Renaissance spy at the same time everyone else does, but from Industrial onwards it's based on your personal progress, not the progress of other players.

Can it be because of the interface bugging? It looks like there is no room in the unit corner to place another button to enable founding the city. You can force the game to use small interface in the main options menu before loading that save and see if that helps. You can then revert if you don't like small UI.
My second guess would be because he is conscript from authority? Does he have exactly the same promotions as conquistador built or purchased normally?

Thanks for your reply, both are excellent suggestions but I tried the smaller UI and that didn't work. I guess that because the entire unit corner scales down including the promotions bar, then if there isn't enough room for the place city button on the large version then the scalled down version won't have room either?

I bought another Conquistador sailed him to the new continent, killed the barb camp on the east coast and tried to found a city there. But neither of my two Conquistadors had a place city button, both were at full health and I tried each unit on the same spot which is 4 spaces from any city, I even made sure both had full movement points but it still didn't work.

Has anyone else done a Spain playthrough on this current version and used or seen a 'place city button' on the Conquistador unit interface as I'm now thinking it may be a bug?

Have you tried pressing the hotkey? I think it's 'B' for founding a city (if it's not, think you can try mousing over the found button on a settler - it should show a tooltip with the correct hotkey even when disabled).

Have you tried pressing the hotkey? I think it's 'B' for founding a city (if it's not, think you can try mousing over the found button on a settler - it should show a tooltip with the correct hotkey even when disabled).

Thanks for another great suggestion, you are correct B is the shortcut (double checked with a settler) but I just checked on both my saved games and unfortunately it doesn't work with the Conquistador. I'm hoping someone else will try a Spain run through and see if it is a bug or not, both my last two games were as Spain and I abandoned them both due to the Conquistador problem I have.

@tu_79 , you are from Spain, right? Any ideas? :-D

Can anyone test this with IGE (and maybe RAS)? If I don't fall asleep tonight, I might give this a try in a couple of hours, but I am still on the April version (and don't want to abandon my current game for the update), so if it's a bug in the newest version, it won't show up for me.

@tu_79 , you are from Spain, right? Any ideas? :-D

Can anyone test this with IGE (and maybe RAS)? If I don't fall asleep tonight, I might give this a try in a couple of hours, but I am still on the April version (and don't want to abandon my current game for the update), so if it's a bug in the newest version, it won't show up for me.
I remember having a similar issue long ago. In my case it was unhappiness what prevented my unit from settling.

Why the heck u've allowed that China to grow so big next to ur borders?

You could say that to the countries in the real world too. They need to get their act together. ;)

Why the heck u've allowed that China to grow so big next to ur borders?

A/ Because I'm not very good
B/ Because I was really only playing this playthrough to see if I still had the same problerm with the Conquistador on a different map than my previous game. I was just trying to get to the point in the game where I had researched Conquistadors and found an empty cointenent to use them, I wasn't really playing to win

Alright, I tried a new game with the **APRIL** version, I found my capital and then added a couple of Conquistadors onto other continents and small islands right next to my continent with IGE and they all sure did have a working found button.

So either your install is botched or the conquistador bug could be a new thing in the July version.

Last edited:
Ilteroi changed founding logic recently - probably a bug somewhere. Y'all know where bugs go. :)

Top Bottom