Cookbook #1 (Sally, Immortal)

Can i ask a question real quick before i pick a game. I thought all people will play from nr. 1 save. When several people will play different games, (even mine i feel honored). Then at Turn 70 we can choose from 3-4 saves again?

Thats how I have understod it as well.
You are free to choose from any of these 4 saves, and then submit your T70 save starting from any of these 4.

Then we have another voting session.

From Swordnboards save

Attachments

• Krikav-T70-Cookbook BC-1200.CivBeyondSwordSave
    114.1 KB · Views: 71
Playing from Swordnboard's save

Attachments

• c^3-T70-Cookbook BC-1200.CivBeyondSwordSave
    113.2 KB · Views: 71
Thats how I have understod it as well.
You are free to choose from any of these 4 saves, and then submit your T70 save starting from any of these 4.

Then we have another voting session.

Wait, so do we choose 4 saves from each save that made it past the first voting session? Or do we choose 1 save from every branch to make it to the next round of playing? Or is it that anyone can submit and start from anyone's save, including their own, after the first 4 baseline saves from t45 are chosen? If it's the first then we're going to have an exponentially increasing number of games...:shifty:

Don't think I'm going to play along with you guys, sorry - just finished win from the fish save (yeah, I know, I'm an impatient guy), and even though I'd like to see comparisons, I'm not in the mood to play this map again so soon (also as @Fippy said GOTM style so my map knowledge would be unfair). But I'm actually fascinated by how taking other paths will compare, though - to spoil as little as possible, I'm just gonna say that I'm already seeing some interesting deviations :D.

Wait, so do we choose 4 saves from each save that made it past the first voting session? Or do we choose 1 save from every branch to make it to the next round of playing? Or is it that anyone can submit and start from anyone's save, including their own, after the first 4 baseline saves from t45 are chosen? If it's the first then we're going to have an exponentially increasing number of games...:shifty:

Rules
* Sssshhh, no spoilers phase again ;)
* gotm (only 1 try, no reloads)
* You can pick any of the 4 saves listed, no explaining needed
* Last turn: 70 (reduced a bit, turns will get longer now)
* Please save & re-name your game on T70, setting autosave intervals to 1 = encouraged, in case you forget
* After submitting, you can test other saves for fun (or curiousity), until turn 70 (not further)

Each player can only submit one save eligible for voting and it as to be your first game played up to turn 70.
Of course anybody can play any save that they want as a shadow game, even the saves that didn't make it to the next round. But only after playing one of the 4 chosen ones.

Sorry to hear that you aren't going to be around @Undefeatable.
Not adhering to the gotm rules probably disqualifies you even for subsequent turns, ie T70 -> T90 (or what turn next set will be).
Perhaps you can join up closer to the end when all map knowledge has surfaced? (If this map is live that long.)

Regarding branching, I don't think we will vote on different categories. The saves are judged against each other. So that my save started from Swordnboard is compared directly against saves that started from mscellaneous save etc.. Then we vote a top3 just as last round, and 3 saves are "alive" for one more round.
Perhaps all 3 saves are from one starting save, or they are from different ones. Fippy can throw in wildcards as leisure, but I think this feature will be used rather moderatly.

Each player can only submit one save eligible for voting and it as to be your first game played up to turn 70.
Of course anybody can play any save that they want as a shadow game, even the saves that didn't make it to the next round. But only after playing one of the 4 chosen ones.
Yup. First game aka your submitted cookbook save always has to be "blind" and first try.
Only after posting your save, you can do anything you like with all games..test stuff, see what you could have maybe done better, see how other saves compare and so on. Makes the waiting time more interesting.
But only until the turnset limit (70 here), so you are not possibly gaining an advantage for next round.

If you play further intentionally, you are removing yourself from this cookbook completely..
which i guess happened with Undefeatable.
Everybody can make this choice, playing the full game or staying with us, but there's no going back.
Mistakes thou will always be forgiven, after all we want friendly competition :)

Sorry to hear that you aren't going to be around @Undefeatable.
Not adhering to the gotm rules probably disqualifies you even for subsequent turns, ie T70 -> T90 (or what turn next set will be).
Perhaps you can join up closer to the end when all map knowledge has surfaced? (If this map is live that long.)

Regarding branching, I don't think we will vote on different categories. The saves are judged against each other. So that my save started from Swordnboard is compared directly against saves that started from mscellaneous save etc.. Then we vote a top3 just as last round, and 3 saves are "alive" for one more round.
Perhaps all 3 saves are from one starting save, or they are from different ones. Fippy can throw in wildcards as leisure, but I think this feature will be used rather moderatly.

Yep, I'm aware that I can't play any of the turnsets in good faith now. But I guess this is the price I pay for my poor impulse control. You know what else is the price I pay? I stayed up until 7am playing because I just couldn't wait, took a 2-hour nap, and now I've jetlagged myself into not being able to sleep at night despite it being 2am here. Congrats brain, you really went above and beyond in messing everything up this time, somehow more than the depression or constant procrastination :nono:.

And before we go on I'd like to apologize for jumping the gun a bit. I kinda realize in hindsight it was bad sportsmanship to enter, and then leave midway when my save didn't make it to go out and to play wayyy ahead to compare how the effects of my playstyle differ from what's accepted as the meta (and to prove a point, not gonna lie pride was somewhat involved). So...sorry guys for leaving you hanging, and I'm aware it won't really be fun if everyone just did what I did and went their own merry way after being voted out.

On a less grim note...I hope what I did didn't ruin things for y'alls. Have fun without me, and see you all at the end!

Last edited:
No problems Undefeatable. Only harm done was to yourself! Give your brain a hug and tell it to behave next cookbook. :)
See you in the next NC!

Nothing to apologize for, yep..
you acted honorable by letting me know.
Not something i like doing or pointing out, but i have no other options.
You did not hire for this ;)
Yup, my plans for now are that we use the same voting system again. Games will compete against each other, no matter which pre-save was picked, until a point comes where we need something else maybe.

Thinking lines like "i will pick this game, maybe i can beat save x or y by doing.." are something that i want to keep as long as possible.

Played from mscellaneous's save

Attachments

• Mscellaneous Drake CB1 BC-1200 T70.CivBeyondSwordSave
    116.4 KB · Views: 60
Very nice to have two more participants already!
I'm looking eagerly at all saves, can't wait to start discussing! :)
I feel almost like a child close to xmas, it was a long time since one week felt like an eternity.

Thinking lines like "i will pick this game, maybe i can beat save x or y by doing.." are something that i want to keep as long as possible.
I can imagine we need to be flexible with the amount of saves carried over to a next round. Moving on with multiple saves has the effect of acting as insurance policy for each other (in save1 AI builds mids 1500BC, no problem we will pick someones progress with save2) . Inevitable with the cookbook style, but a little justification for additional saves besides the nr1 vote is in order. So sometimes less will do, and for the 1st round fhis was nicely done by adding a 4th save.

"Standard" settings are far from my usual stuff so its okay if this will be worse save but... it was almost like "wait, what? already T70? Common, I just started to feel connection with others here :love:
Oops, almost forgot - played from honorable Olafeson Save

Attachments

• ElmurcisT70_Cookbook BC-1200.CivBeyondSwordSave
    122.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I continued with my own save. Mistakes were made :sad: And I got a bit lucky.. again :crazyeye:

Attachments

• Mscellaneous CB1 save Msc BC-1200.CivBeyondSwordSave
    116.2 KB · Views: 75
Bit late to the game here, but here's my notes from round 1

Spoiler :

Move warrior 1NW, see nothing, SIP on hill.
SIP seems like the right move in retrospect. Start worker, working FP tile.
Choose Agriculture (obviously) after T4
Continue to work FP after border pop
Mining next, to get closer to BW and possibly find Copper.
Worker T12, start Warrior
Meet Qin T17
Farmed the Corn, decided to Mine the Grass Hill 1N2W next, as opposed to farming a floodplain which takes longer. (?)
Sent second warrior exploring - on the plus side, we only need to fogbust in 1 direction. On the minus side, meeting QSH and Shaka early means we might get boxed in.
Started another Warrior. Will start settler at size 4.
T27, spot barb archer. It kills my northern Warrior next turn.
Size 4, 4th Warrior. Start Worker instead of Settler... the only decent spot near me is on the river to the east and there's no danger of losing that to an AI.
T31, Bronze Working. No Copper. Decide to go for AH, in the hopes of Horses and to be able to improve the Pigs for City 2. Revolt to Slavery.
T36 - 2 pop whip Settler after 2 Workers chop a forest into the Settler. Overflow into Worker, then switch to Warrior to deal with incoming barbs.
T39, found Medina, start Warrior. Warrior on Hill Forest 4N1W of Mecca kills attacking barb Warrior.
T41 - exploring Warrior on forested hill defeats barb Archer.
T42 - Stonehenge built by AI. Warrior built, switch to half-built Worker.
T43, Animal Husbandry but the only horses are about 10 tiles to the northeast :( Feel like I have to head for Archery to avoid possible ruin. Start Hunting. Mine built near Medina, start to Pasture pigs.
T45, Worker built in Capital. Start Warrior as placeholder.

As others noted, I felt a bit exposed without Copper or Horses, and barb Archers by T27 - thus the diversion to Hunting and Archery. But Swordnboard and mscellaneous are clearly in a better position going forward.

@Swordnboard

How can one remove your self drawn lines and X? I have no idea, i would like to play your save this evening but i would prefer not to have these self drawn lines on the map.

Top Bottom