1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Corporation costs, an in depth analysis!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by NaZdReG, Aug 14, 2007.

1. jim_langdon

jim_langdon Chieftain

I'm a moron, thanks!

2. bestbrian

bestbrian Just this guy, ya know?

No you're not. I'm President of the Morons, and I've never seen you at any meetings. :lol:

3. peapd

peapd Chieftain

I'm sure this has been debated before, but I can't find a clear answer via search function.

Corps do nice things, objectively. However, they have an opportunity cost of not running State Property (and probably Police State). SP gives reduced city maintenance and boosts workshops.

Spreading Corps cost hammers for the executive and cash to found. You'll also probably find yourself getting distracted by building Rock'n'Roll or something to trade for more resources.

Has anybody ever worldbuildered a comparison between the same empire set up to run Corps, as situation A, and then farmed and workshoped over everything as situation B?

Obviously, corporations do powerful stuff, but with all of the investment put into them, I wonder if just going all-in hammer economy can't build a really big Infantry/Artillery stack and just win the game before the corporations get rolling.

4. T-hawk

T-hawk Transcend

Besides State Property, these are all possibilities:
    - Mercantilism if you have not patched to 3.17 or 3.19
    - you don't know Corporation tech (amazing how many times I've forgotten this)
    - your city already has a HQ of a competing corporation (Mining Inc)
    - somebody else has already founded Civ Jewelers
    - you don't actually have the gold resource (you're trading it away)