Corporations

unpossible251

Warlord
My first thread, please be kind :)

I'd love to see corporations brought back from Civ 4 into 6. They were a fantastic late game addition, and I feel that Corporations would go a long way in spicing up the somewhat sagging mid-late game eras. Indeed, corporate victory would be a great new mechanic.

I'm posting here, rather than in the quieter "ideas & suggestions" page because I'd like to hear more about how people felt about civ4's Corporations rather than nuts & bolts about how the mechanics might work.

but to get the ball rolling, heres roughly how the game team (or a particularly good modder) might begin, starting from industrial era:

A Great General can establish Private Military Contractors, inc. in an Encampment, which gives bonuses to encampments and campuses.

A Great Admiral can establish Global Logistics, inc. in a harbour or aerodrome, which provide trade bonuses.

A Great Engineer establish Skyscrapers United, which are active in IZ's and aqueducts, or Global Motors in IZ's and neighbourhoods.

A Great Merchant can be used to found Worldwide Circus in CZ's or EC's for amenities, or Fast Food Global in CZ's and neighbourhoods for food.

A Great Writer creates News Print Worldwide in a TS, which provides not only diplomatic visibility but also TS and neighbourhood bonuses.

Great Artists can be used for Electronic Gaming, buffing TS's and spaceports in some way.

Musicians create Worldwide Media, which provide tourism benefits to TS's and EC's.

Great Scientists, finally, give you Space inc., which work in campuses and spaceports.

The mechanics would largely follow those of the religious game, and the value comes from matching your corporation to whatever district you have a lot of, as well as what your neighbour has. So, if you've got News Print but your neighbour has Electronic Gaming, you're both going to be desperate to spread into TZ heavy France, and only one of you can dominate.

So. Whad'ya think?

I like the idea of incorporating Corporations with Districts - I think this is the best way to do it even how Civ VI is designed.

To my mind the interesting thing about Corporations in Civ IV was developing a secondary economy around resources on the map - i.e. taking bonus and strategic resources, whose yields lose their lustre in the late game (and in the case of strategic resources, lose their relevance to units), and allowing you to get a bonus from them you can spread across your empire. It's a mechanic I'd be happy to see return, and I think adds a bit more depth than flat bonuses.

Tying their foundation to Great People is a good idea too - perhaps there can be a bunch of Great People (I guess mostly Merchants) who become available in the Modern era onwards who you have to snap up (like Prophets) if you want a particular corporation.

As a rough idea, perhaps Coco Chanel would create the (presumably off-brand for legal reasons) 'Chanel' Corporation, that an be founded in a Commercial Hub and gives a culture and amenity bonus to silks and dyes. The Headquarters will be in that city's commercial hub, and act like a holy city in terms of spreading the corporation. Then all other Commercial Hub districts could get an extra building slot where you could choose to build a branch of the 'Chanel' Corporation to get the same bonuses in that city.

Top Bottom