COTM 02 First Spoiler: End Of Ancient age

Me three. I've built the cities close together to stop them from growing too large. It's closer than I usually do, and I'm still early in the game so I'll have to find out how I will like this setup in the later stages of the game. But on the short term unhappiness is not an issue because of the small size of my cities.

i never thought about doing it that way. Im having a problem with my cities getting too big :(

i also built my cities closer than normal, though not to control the city size, but to squeeze in more cities in the limited area. it turned out fine. though none of them can be a super-productive city(>50shields) later in the game.

Actually the most productive city of mine is on another landmass, a foreign capital.

Moderator Action: Please keep discussion of your IA activities for teh appropriate spoiler.

I'm confused, how did you manage to change to communism and build a factory and hoovers while still in the ancient age? :mischief:

Moderator Action: deleted quote from moderated off-topic post ;)

Against the rules,
We should not bet talking about something that is not happening in AA...
against the rules

u guys just have to have patience. that is the third time ive seen that happen. according ot ainwood or alanh (i forget who) the next spoiler comes out tomorrow... just 1 more day

The stars glistened as the colony pods sped through the atmosphere and landed on the surface of a once uninhabited world. Mursilis awoke finishing his stasis interrupted sentence “…wood” and looked and the chronometer. “Looks like another detour has been added to my journey”. He activated the exterior sound monitors and was calmed by the song of passing whales. “Looks like we’re on the coast this time” he thought “I think I’ll take a walk around and see where we are”. To his surprise the hatch door was jammed. “Oh well, I guess I’ll have to wait until morning”

The morning sun colored the sky with hues of red as it rose in the eastern sky. The colonists were quick to free their leader and after a quick survey of the terrain, Mursilis commanded “Let’s setup shop southeast of here on the grassy point, those nearby whales will give us additional food and commerce to get this fledgling race a kick start”. As the colonists were setting up the village of Amsterdam, Mursilis noticed a couple of children building toy boats and sending them to sea on the local waters. “We will be able to explore much quicker by boat than on foot. Build a canoe for our explorer” was his first order, “And we’ll need to learn to write, but that’s not a priority, so only a minimum commitment to science at this point”.

The discovery of the abundance of silks beyond the mountains was confirmed by the recently built warrior Thor and the curragh Argo continued north towards a narrow strait to another island.

Soon a pair of lovely ladies had sent trade representative to Mursilis to propose trading and the Dutch (as they called themselves) now had knowledge of Ceremonial Burial, Masonry and Bronze Working as well as all the gold in the known world.

The founding of Rotterdam and the connection of the silks were added to the meeting of another fine female leader and the Dutch remained at the forefront of science and wealth. Another curragh, the Hudson began his journey on a similar path as the Argo, but explored the western half of the Amazon continent and the third curragh, the Drake discovered a large ice skating rink attached in the west of the original Dutch island. The Argo makes contact with a nice fellow on the north of the Amazon island and spots one of his warriors find a local tribe that join his nation. A trade with the pale Amazon Queen nets Iron Working and that knowledge is quickly parlayed into the knowledge of Mysticism and Warrior Code.

Upon orders from Amsterdam, the captains of the Drake and the Cabot set off on dangerous eastern journeys. The Drake reaches the far coastline and meets a dark skinned leader of a warlike tribe. The Cabot message was coastline spotted, but she was never heard from again. The final two tribes are soon met and via clever trading Mursilis has now acquired knowledge of The Wheel, Mathematics, Horseback Riding and discovered a Code of Laws without being forced to part with the monopoly on Writing.

The Hudson also survived a dangerous western crossing and with the Drake completed the outlines of the two major continents.

Mursilis was meeting with his to celebrate 2500 years on the planet, when news came from the returning Drake; there is a small island to the east with horses. “So this little rock of ours will get access to some advanced military units. Have the Drake continue the local explorations” and sure enough soon Switzerland, with a rich iron deposit was found. “This island will be the source of our most powerful military unit, men we will hire to defend our great empire”

Very soon after this discovery, the completion of research on the knowledge of Philosophy, leads to a burst of conscience thought and the Dutch nation is plunged into a brief period of anarchy from which the mighty Dutch Republic emerges. At a meeting with his advisors, an agreement is reached where he will know be know as William of Orange in exchange for allowing him to continue ruling as the duly elected leaded of the Dutch Republic.

Strangely, Argo is chased by a barbarian galley, yet the knowledge of Map Making is not yet known by any of the other tribes. Could there be another tribe, as yet undiscovered. Soon the mystery was solved as a tribe to the west trades Map Making to the Dutch for some long known ideas.

The end of 3000 years on the planet is marked by a trade to acquire Polytheism and the discovery of currency, leaving a single knowledge of the ancient age to be discovered. The following cycle, as the of the ancient ages nears it’s end, the a leader of a warlike tribe demands the knowledge currency and when William declines this demand, a war of words erupts into a war of swords. This vile opponent enlists an ally soon after, but to the relief of William, neither opponent ever reaches the Dutch shores. In the year of our lord, 670 BC, the Dutch scientists make known the knowledge of construction and long before any other nation on the planet, the Dutch peoples find themselves in the Middle Ages.

Editors notes:
This was a very difficult passage in the tales of Mursilis the Wanderer to complete due to the restrictions of the Powers on High and of a personal tragedy the author endured. I apologize to my faithful readers to the lack of life in this passage and will endeavor to redeem myself during the next passage.

My thanks to the captain of these journeys, Ainwood for a entertaining and educational exercise in exploration.

Another good story!!!
Good jobe Denyd!! :goodjob:

My first reply ... don't have true details but man did I start out poorly compared to you guys.

1) I was the last player to get to the MA and ended up having to trade a MA tech to get republic.
2) Totally missed the iron island until a ways into the MA era. Settled it with an AI setteler standing there watching me ... whew was that close.
3) Founded city on BGL to get the whales ... moved capitol later by building a new one. Wanted it to jump to a specific city. I had cities over the entire continent except for 2 cities in the tundra that were from other AI's.
4) Got the horse island which did me no good as I did not have iron when I got Chivalry.
5) I had no chance of a military victory, No chance of cultural victory ..... so changed strategy and went 100 for space race ..... being behind in techs by 3 - 4 it was not going to be easy .... I had actually never done a space race victory before either I rarely have games make it very far into the modern age.
6) I did fill my continent VERY quickly. When I finally did find a computer AI I was so far behind in techs NOBODY would trade me anything.

oh well ... it was very challenging and fun

marconos said:
6) I did fill my continent VERY quickly. When I finally did find a computer AI I was so far behind in techs NOBODY would trade me anything.

What do u mean by this? Did u get really ahead in tech or did they get really ahead in tech?

What do u mean by this?
"... I was so far behind in techs ..." says it all really.

Marconos: How long before you built your first ship?

I'm by no means a top player and I had my first boat in the water by 3500 BC and had met 3 AI by 2500 BC. When playing seafaring, get that first boat out ASAP. Having a 3 movement explorer that early, who can chance sea tile movement is one of the biggest advantages of seafaring.

well the first thing i built was a curragh... i felt this was extremely important..... although i only did this based on learning from more advanced players... yet i am gradually getting better :) (3 weeks ago i couldnt even beat warlord and now im holding my own on monarch)

hmmmm, im still a practiser of the wonder addiction therapy, i only tever try for sistine chapel (failed) or smiths (succesfully built finished in ga) until the industrial era.
if you are republic do you just fight your own wars and never make ma? (im currently in an allience with "civx" in a war im loosing...

well i am a republic and by signing a MA with the strongest civ i could not break it so i ended up losing all that i gained until the MA ran out so i could ask for peace... i have learned that you should not sign MA's in Republic cause you may want to end war earlier than expected due to war weariness or things goin the wrong way

SniperDevil said:
well i am a republic and by signing a MA with the strongest civ i could not break it so i ended up losing all that i gained until the MA ran out so i could ask for peace... i have learned that you should not sign MA's in Republic cause you may want to end war earlier than expected due to war weariness or things goin the wrong way
It depends on the situation and victory condition chosen, but on monarch, where you cannot expect much help in research from the AI's, your reputation isn't that important IMO. So I just break alliances when necessary.
But the better option is really to plan your wars well. Either make short operations w/o alliances, or 20 turn campaigns, but make sure that you can go through the 20 turns being always on the winner side. Don't overstretch your attack, take only what you can hold.

EDIT: OPEN

Well, I made the mistake of not moving my settler off the peninsula - I moved it SE... it will be interesting to see the gap that comes because of that. The whales were actually very helpful, and a republic slingshot put me in the game.

The main difference I see is a slower expansion. Though the extra ones I dont have are mostly icy cities, and fill-ins.

Made middle ages in (I think) 190BC, which I am happy with. But still not happy about the trail of crumbs I missed. I blame my blocked nose ;)

Top Bottom