COTM 16 Final Spoiler - End of Game

Zulu became a Republic in 1100BC.

Around 1000BC one of my curraghs met Babylon, and few turns later the other civs. Techwise they ere very behind so I got lot of money from tech trading.

With some trade and research we entered MA in 900BC. We gave free techs to Ottomans and Babylon, they both discovered Feudalism.
I could have stopped research now but I still hoped to find horses, therefore I decided to research Monotheism and Chivalry.

In 775BC I made Aztecs declare war on me; in 270BC I established my Forbidden Palace in their former capital.

The Great Lighthouse (finished in 450BC) allowed us to go to the other continent with no risk. In 270BC we also build The Statue of Zeus triggering the Golden Age.

In 270BC I started the invasion of the other continent. Since I had eventually realized that our native continent was lacking horses I started the invasion from a Carthage coastal city with horses in its radius. I knew I could not connect horses to the initial continent but I could use my cash to rush Knights in the new continent.

In 150BC we learnt Chivalry and stop research.

I had conquered two thirds of the new continent when I realized that it would not have been enough for domination ... I had to find some other land. I sent some suicide galley east of the new continent and ... here it is an other big continent. It looked empty so I started rushing galleys and settler. About 50% of them reached the new land.

We went on crushing enemies and building new cities and temples until we trigger the domination limit in 690AD.

I had one hell of a flukish win. In about 1900, the Ottomans looked like a certainty to win. In about 1940, the tiny little Zulu made a desperate descion. We needed Synthetic Fibres to be able to build 2 out of the 4 unbuilt spaceship parts. I spent 9000 lump sum and spent 930 gpt to get it. I was bankrupt, and then i realised i needed some rubber. I nearly threw my wireless mouse across the room! Then i noticed that the technologically inferior Aztecs had 2 sources of rubber. but one of them wasnt connected and i didnt have an ROP with them. I bought an ROp, connected the Rubber and finished the ship in 1946. I had 8% of the world at the end of the game, but all of my cities were maxed out. I cant believe i won!

Game status: Spaceship Victory for Zululand
Game date: 1946 AD
Firaxis score: 1398
Jason score: 1761
Time played: 20:57:46
And the end game mini-map

wow azzaman thats even more of a close finish than my game :). nicely done with the rubber :D. Also its strange you finished earlier although i had 30 % of the world ... maybe because of my warmongering all the time ;)

I tried avoiding wars as much as possible after an early faliure to attack either the Inca or Aztecs. I had to continusly trade for aluminium, oil, uranium, rubber and horses throughout the entire game, because of the lack of resources in the starting area. Near the end i even planted a spy with the ottomans for some reason. If i was caught, game over. I was equal with Otto in tech just before the start of the IA, then i dropped back a little, then i completely fell behind everyone about half way through the IA, then caught up again at the start of MA when i got a monopoly on computers. In other words, i fluked a win from a very difficult position (for me).

azzaman333 said:
I tried avoiding wars as much as possible after an early faliure to attack either the Inca or Aztecs. I had to continusly trade for aluminium, oil, uranium, rubber and horses throughout the entire game, because of the lack of resources in the starting area. Near the end i even planted a spy with the ottomans for some reason. If i was caught, game over. I was equal with Otto in tech just before the start of the IA, then i dropped back a little, then i completely fell behind everyone about half way through the IA, then caught up again at the start of MA when i got a monopoly on computers. In other words, i fluked a win from a very difficult position (for me).

Monopoly on MA Tech can really save you in a difficult position for space race, i wasnt that lucky but still managed to trade some MA techs with some slightly backward civs. I sure was lucky enough to hold all strategic resources, trading for most of the IA and MA resources sure mustve cost you a fortune ...
So I agree winning that game of yours was a real nice job.
heres what my space race looked like in 1958 AD with a score of about 3000:

I ended my medieval posts with the phrase "But on to the industrial I go. Things can only get better!" This turned out not to be the case. In the second half of the game, I found new and exciting mistakes to make while in pursuit of a spaceship victory. But first, a quick recap. The date is 890ad, I am in control of my home continent, and the world is at war. England and the Ottoman Empire are defending against the Zulu-Japanese-Carthaginian alliance. Babylon remains neutral, but is trading techs with England, who is still researching well; this is precisely the cartel that I had hoped to break up.

The war grinds on with little input from me. Carthage and Japan are happy to do most of the work, while I goal-hang outside London (Pyramids) with a small stack of cannon and a couple of armies. England have also founded a single town on Third Continent, but of course, they have no resources over there, so they are still defending with spears. I rustle up a small gang of impi and send them over to start my belated golden age (960ad).

Now things start to look better. In my golden age, I become the world's best researcher, and start selling techs to Babylon. Meanwhile, the Anglo-Ottoman alliance is disintegrating. By 1180ad, the English are destroyed, and I have somehow inherited most of their peninsula, despite actually having only a handful of units over there. The Ottomans have been exiled to a single town on the equatorial island of Third Continent.

And now the first of my magnificent mistakes: I have built a privateer, and left it in one of my ports! My best friend in the whole world, Tokugawa, is sailing by with a fleet of frigates, sees my vicious pirates, and determines to rid the world of such filth. He bombards my port, and we are at war. The date is 1200ad, only two turns after the end of our grand alliance. I bring Babylon into the war, which is probably a bad plan, as Ham's research has been atrocious recently. Now he puts all his effort into militarising, which isn't good...

The second of my magnificent mistakes: I have built a privateer, and left it in one of my ports! My shakiest friend in the whole world, Hammurabi, is sailing by with a fleet of frigates, sees my vicious pirates, and deteremines to rid the world of such filth. He bombards my port, and we are at war. :lol: How is it that I didn't see that coming? The date is 1375ad, only four turns before the destruction of the Japanese.

Now Babyon has a lot of cavalry, and I don't have much military presence on Alpha. Most of what is over there was pulled down from England to fight the Japanese. The result is not pretty.

War weariness is devastating, and I have to set luxuries to 50% (from 0%) to cope, which crashes my research. Luckily, I still have one friend left. I send Carthage in against Babylon, and he manages to capture some key towns in ex-Japan. Soon I can bring some of my Alpha continent luxuries back online, and start securing my own hold in that area.

Pretty soon, I research Flight and enter the modern age (1420ad), so I give Babylon peace, even though it means leaving Hannibal in the lurch. I gift both the Babylonian empire and the (medieval) Ottoman city-state into the modern age, but am enraged to discover that my rep has been shot, and neither will give me their free techs, even for outrageous gpt payments! I mean, what does Osman think I am going to do? Take his tech and then destroy his town with that cavalry army sat just outside his borders!?! :confused: Er... in a fit of pique, I destroy his town with that cavalry army sat just outside his borders. Ecology was briefly known to the world, but that knowledge was lost again for another 2 centuries (magnificent mistake #3, costing precisely four turns).

Well, the Modern era is pretty plain sailing. Babylon is no help at all (indeed they contribute no required techs at all in either Industrial or Modern ages, apart from their freebies), but I can research most techs in four or five turns, thanks largely to my Third Continent Research Park. By the end I have 46 towns on this island (compared to 47 on the home continent)...

@ Megalou: the beaker town in your screenshot is a whole three tiles away its neighbours! Seems a bit generous ;)

Babylon dows again in 1585ad; that typical last-minute tantrum from the AI when it can see you will soon win. Now I have secured Japan though, and Babylon is no threat. My tank armies mobilize through Carthaginian territory (Hanni won't ally with me again, but he stays out of the war, and maintains our ROP) and I start rolling Babylon back. There isn't time to do much though, as my spaceship launches in 1640ad.

5025 Firaxis points get me 7623 Jasons.

Attachments

• PaperBeetle_COTM16_Research.jpg
    PaperBeetle_COTM16_Research.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 226
@ Megalou: the beaker town in your screenshot is a whole three tiles away its neighbours! Seems a bit generous
Thanks. All attacks on my megalomania are taken in with a sigh of thankfulness. Nice graph!

Megalou said:
Thanks. All attacks on my megalomania are taken in with a sigh of thankfulness. Nice graph!

Sure you meant: megaloumania ;)

@Paperbeetle

You're turning making mistakes into a form of art.

Btw looking at your graph, am I correct in assuming you spend 9 turns researching Nationalism ?

Redbad said:
@Paperbeetle

Btw looking at your graph, am I correct in assuming you spend 9 turns researching Nationalism ?

That's known as an "installation".

Redbad said:
@Paperbeetle

Personally, I'm most proud of the 16 turns I spent learning about Printing :)
Actually, the optional techs I researched in the medieval were good value for money (or turns) when it came to trading for the real techs which the Anglo-Babylonian alliance were steaming through. I thought the same would apply in the industrial, and that Nationalism was particularly prized by the AI, but when I came to offer Ham Nationalism for Steam, he wasn't remotely interested - I suppose he was nearly done researching it himself.
So yes, that was probably 9 turns that I didn't need to spend, although it's a good tech to have sooner or later. Policemen are a big help to a die-hard micromanager like me.

@PaperBeetle, Good victory date, considering the above oddities. How on earth could Printing Press be "good value for money?" I got some good trades as my spoiler shows but yours must have been extraordinary to justify those 16 turns.

Redbad said:
Sure you meant: megaloumania
Actually no. I take great pride in my superior spelling and paragraphing. The "u" is just there to give my superhuman character an impression of humanity.

Well you've got me there. Most of the optionals (except Printing...) seemd worth it at the time, but reviewing my turn log, I see that they only got me 1 required tech each, which is nothing special. Beyond that, they got used to promote my world wars. That was conservative playing; I slowed the world's tech pace right down, but I did come out of the medieval in control of the game. Hopefully next time I'll have the courage to let the AI off the leash for longer.

Middle Ages

War and Peace
Our horse deal expires in 1150 and we have nothing to offer to get them back. Carthage allies with England in 1180 and the Inca have retaken Arequipa. Next turn we make peace with Babylon, getting 9+1gpt tribute. In 1200 we make a straight peace with England while building Gweru in the new lands. We capture Oea in 1230 while repulsing an invasion near Ulundi. We learn steam in 1250, while making peace with Carthage. We trade the Turks spice for gold. Everyone except the Turks hates us. We have coal near Umtata.

Science and Industry
Zimbabwe finishes Newton in 1260, but in 1275 we get the bad news that our rivals have beaten us to industry. We catch up by 1295. England's up to no good again, and we make them declare. We bribe Babylon into the war by trading them econ and incense for fur. The Turks are bribed with WM, 100+6gpt. Carthage has an embargo against us, so they won't trade horses. But they will trade medicine + 8 for industry to join the war. We found Lusaka on the southern new lands and starts a harbor. We find a goody hut and get maps. We take Great Wymondley, on the same isle as Oea, in 1310. The damn Incas ally with England the next turn. Stupid Carthage won't give up the embargo, so we can't trade them coal, which they need, for horses.

Trouble at Home
Tugela falls in 1330, which gets the peaceniks out. We take it back, only to lose it again next turn. We lose Isandhlwana the following turn, which trashes my incense deal. I need some help, so I bribe Japan with spices, and Carthage for coal. Turkey is beating up England pretty soundly by this time. We lose Hlobane in 1350, but we learn electric. We trade it to Carthage for Demo, National, 110 + 33gpt. Trade Turkey electric for corp+615. We give back 444 of that to get wine to keep the hippies drunk. Tugela is liberated in 1355 while we capture an English settler in the new world. Turks get Suffrage in 1365. We lose Ibabanago in 1370, but take it back immediately and destroy Arequipa. The following turn we build Maseru.

Turning the Tide
We gift Babs to the IA in 1380 by trading them magnets for a slave, 1+1gpt. Isandhlwana throws out the Inca and rejoins us. Next turn we build Mmabatho on the ruins of Arequipa. The alliances vs. England expire in 1395, so I make peace with them, getting commie + 17 for electric. In retrospect I probably should've switched now, but I had almost no units left to counter any attacks. We get another leader in 1405 in skirmishes. The army created takes Vilcas next turn. We cut the Inca's source of gunpowder, and that hurts them. Babylon attacks us in 1430. We learn replaceables in 1435. The Turks have succeeded too well against England and will become our greatest rival. Plus our rep is trashed by losing that incense. We build Thohoyandou in the new world and next turn build Lobamba on the ruins of Rusicade.

I'm Rubber, You're Glue
We road rubber in 1445 while taking Samarra in the new world. The following turns we raze Eulbar and Vitcos, the latter sitting on rubber. Japan declares an embargo in 1465. We raze Cory and next turn discover that someone is giving the Incas saltpeter as they have a cav that almost killed my wounded army. Sign MPP with Carthage in 1475--stupid idea, as Babylon attacks them so we're at war with Babylon again. We trade England replaceables + 5 slaves(!) for refining and get the news that all the oil is in the new world. We build Maputo in 1490 while taking Ollantaytambo. We learn Sci Meth in 1500, but are way behind, as Turks build Darwin the following turn while Ollan flips. We end the war in 1510 by getting 138+Monarchy (big deal). The following turn we build Babanango on the tip of the northern new world island to claim the oil.

(Communist) Party Time!
We build Kanye near the ruins of Vitcos in 1520. The Turks finish off the English in 1535. Incas attack Carthage, so we have to redeclare in 1540. War weariness is killing us, so I have to go commie. Fortunately I have some troops this time. We retake Ollan in 1545 and begin the assault on Cuzco. We lose a redlined cav to a Chasqui in 1560--replay shows that kicks off the Incas GA (such as it was)--shocking to see a Chasqui so late. The commies take control in 1575 just in time to march into Cuzco. Machu Picchu falls in 1590. We repulse a Babylonian attack, while our two armies kick the Incas off the mainland in 1600. Incas are now boat people. At this time Turkey declares war on Carthage and Japan allies with Babylon.

New World Man
We found new cities to fill in Incaland--Kwekwe, Kadoma, and Hwange. In 1625 Incas settle in the new world as Umfolozi finishes SPHQ. We send an army to finish them off and it is done in 1635. The following turn Zimbabwe finishes Intel Agency. We are dismayed to see flak in a Turkish city--they have flight already! The Turks drive Carthage to the new world by 1650. The following turn we learn atomics and trade it to Carthage for steel, sanitation, fascism, ironclads + 130 (best trade of the game). We make peace with Japan, trading them atomics for combustion + 3. In 1670 we improve our spice deal with the Turks so we can balance the budget. In 1675 we found Chitunwiza on the southern new world to claim a second oil.

Carthage Must Be Destroyed
In 1680 we lose the north island off our homeland containing Oea and Great Wymondley, but retake them the following turn. Carthage is down to two towns in the new world, and we decide to wipe them out in 1690. We learn electronics by 1710 and raze Rusaddir. Zimbabwe switches to Hoover as we trade Japan electronics for flight. Cadiz is taken in 1725 and Carthage is out. We build Masvingo in the jungle the next turn. In 1735 we get a message that the Turks have started the UN. I should've done an investigation, as it took them a long time to build and I could've beat them, but I thought the Turks would have it anyway. Keep building new towns--Mahalatswe and Eshowe follow.

The Turkish Invasion
We learn mass pro in 1752. By 1758, Zimbabwe finishes Hoover. Turks extort 28 gold in 1760. I do not want war with them, but get one anyway the next turn as the Turks send a full transport of marines to take Samarra. I bribe Japan to ally for 210. Meanwhile we march into Akkad as bombers have cleared the city for us. In 1766 we get Babylon on our side, they even pay us 95 in tribute. Turks throw us off the northern new world, taking Cadiz and Babanago. We fail to plant a spy in Istanbul. We do take Mugla in the southern new world. We learn motors in 1772 and enter Modern Times. We lose our central new world holdings, but take over the south. We trade Japan motors for 1567 + 20gpt. The Turks build Manhattan in 1786. Babylon is getting hurt bad by now, so we trade them refining, iron, and rubber for gems. Umfolozi builds Battle Med in 1790. We build Chimoio and Beira. Akkad puts up a good fight, but Turkish tanks overwhelm them in 1798. Two turns later, Babylon is no more.

D-Day
We learn computers in 1804, Zimbabwe switching to SETI. We make peace in 1808, getting 180. Trade computers to Japan for amphib, dyes, 821 + 52gpt. I hope that Japan has enough sense to also make peace. Unfortunately, it's not until Japan has been exiled to the New World and lost their dyes. We build new cities in Central New world, and actually use air power against some barbs. SETI is finished in 1828. The Turks build the UN in Ayden in 1836. The following turn we learn mini, with Zimbabwe switching to internet. By 1852 we move into position. We have 18 marines, 6 mechs, 4 flak, 10 bombers, and a tank army. We have 3 battleships and 3 destroyers to protect the convoy. An investigation reveals that Aydin's defenders are 3 mechs, a TOW, and an arty. We plant a spy in Istanbul. They have 33 tanks to our 19, 98 mechs to our 18, 43 ToWs, and (gasp) 5 ICBMs. The attack begins, we bribe Japan to ally by giving them mini for 45. We end up needing almost all of our marines to take the city, and we offload the support troops. For good measure, we draft mechs in all our homeland cities.

Vote or Die
Miraculously we held after Turkey threw their tanks against us. But we don't get the UN vote. We have 2 wounded marines and a redlined army as survivors. We load another tank army in, moving the redlined army to safety. Turkey is exhausted by this time and barely puts up an attempt. Why they didn't use their nukes I'll never know. The election comes in 1858--evidently I needed to have no more than half the city in resistance. 3066 Firaxis, 4266 Jason--another average game for me. I'm glad for this win, though, as I didn't have time for a space race.

After scouting east and not seeing anything useful (meaning BGs) I settle in place. After scouting some more I see there is a pretty nice 20K site next by. A shame it will be so slow to produce workers and settlers from capital but I decide to give it a go.

I produce 2 new workers and then a 20k settler. In research I go directly for republic, assuming I can get some other other techs from my neighbours. I manage to trade for ceremonial burial, but loose two turn since my prebuild for temple overran a little bit.

QSC stats:
4 cities
16 citizens
2 workers
1 army
3 swords
2 impis
1 temple
1 colossus

Culture buildings:

2070BC : Temple
1400BC : Colossus
1075BC --> GA triggered by Inca going to war. First MGL by defending IMPI on hill city !!
925BC : Oracle
875BC : Library
750BC ------------------------> Middle Ages
690BC : Statue of Zeus
290BC : Great Library
250BC : Cathedral

90AD : Hanging Gardens
130AD : Heroic Epic (MGL)
490AD : Shakespeare
500AD : University
580AD : FP
680AD : Copernicus
690AD : Colosseum
800AD ------------------------> Industrial Age
850AD : Newton's
970AD : Bach's
1020AD : Magellan's Voyage
1120AD : Universal Suffrage
1130AD : Military Academy (MGL)
1190AD : Wall Street
1270AD : Hoover Dam
1310AD : Theory of Evolution
1310AD -----------------------> Modern Age
1315AD : Research lab
1380AD : SETI
1420AD : Smith's
1470AD : United Nations
1515AD : Internet
1560AD : Cure for Cancer
1565AD : Apollo (MGL)
1610AD : Longevity
1625AD : Intelligence Agency
1630AD : Battlefield Medecine (MGL)
1665AD : Manhattan Project
1680AD ------------------------> 20K VICTORY!!

Just finished a Domination win in 2036.

I messed up the MA and IA was not able to get horses. Got seriously behind in techs and gave up the game. Picked it up again recently and started fighting my way back with MI against musketmen and riflemen.

Used spys for about the first time ever and stole my way to replaceable parts, build a huge artillery stack and started working over the Ottomans who had build 8/10 spaceship parts. Managed to destroy their spaceship, prevent an AI diplo win and fight my win to a Dom win.

At the close of game, I was still six techs behind - I don't think I have ever finished that far behind short of a loss.

Now for COTM 17....

Might not get the best score there HeadBlend, but sounds like very challenging and fun game nevertheless.

Salte said:
Might not get the best score there HeadBlend, but sounds like very challenging and fun game nevertheless.

I'm happy with the win. I didn't expect it. And better result than COTM15....

Top Bottom