COTM 16 Pre-game Discussion

Forgot that you don't get impis with your initial techs. Scouts will be useful.

Is that forest or jungle to the south?

DBear said:
Is that forest or jungle to the south?

Same thing I wondered. I think its jungle. As for the start, I would like to move inland more if the scout shows any shield producing tiles. I'll probably build another early worker and a warrior to begin with. Undecided on another scout, but its a possibility.

The first thing I'll do is hit f10 to see who our opponents are, and make a list of the starting techs. That hasn't been disabled in xotms yet, right? What to research first... hmmm, would Karasu deny us Alphabet? The alphabet guys could be on the other (boring=standard, not wierd, hard-to-reach?) continent. So there's already a gamble right at the start. TW or alpha?
It seems that being expansionist, the map designer would set it up to have some use. I want an early granary, but my gut says there'll be some huts to pop for the early birds. So another scout, and a defensive warrior first. Who knows, maybe researching TW will allow us to pop alpha. Wouldn't that be nice?

Oh this start is horribly shield-poor.

With an irrigated wheat we can, food-wise, set up a six-turn settler factory. But that would mean an average of 5 shields a turn. With no normal forest or bg's visible, where do we get the 5 shields?

1 from citycenter and then 4 mined grass? We have to operate this baby at sizes 4 and 5:
turn 1: 5 shields: cc + 4 grass
turn 2: 4 shields: cc + 3 grass + wheat
turn 3: 5 shields: cc + 3 grass + wheat + growth
turn 4: 6 shields: cc + 5 grass
turn 5: 5 shields: cc + 4 grass + wheat
turn 6: 6 shields: cc + 4 grass + wheat + growth

I think I'll scout east if there are some bg's or .... a cow :mischief:

Looks like we want better land in the capitol than what's visible. Anyone thinking about moving the worker west, just to have a look across the water?

For Open or Predator (as if :) ), I think an inland start might be better. I think I'll send the worker to the wheat and the scout NW-W before I choose where to move the settler -- looks like there's at least one swamp north of us, so I don't think I'll scout N when i'm looking for a settling spot.

For Conquest class, the coast is a better deal, since they start with Alpha. I'd make the same scout moves before picking a coast square for my settler.

Impi and horsemen sound like a fun way to gallop across the continent. But I'm reeling a bit from my last attempt at a pointy-stick win so maybe I'll try something a little more passive. Diplomatic Zulus, anyone? :lol:

Definately worker to wheat. Probably scout W,? depending upon what it sees. Most likely settle 1E to get some cities to the W of the capital. (Note: if I was playing conquest I'd consider 1W to get out curraghs earlier, but not sure if that is worth it.)

I'd like to start off with granary, settler if we have any BG's nearby. Otherwise Scout, Settler, Granary...which may be the better idea anyway. After exposing the first few squares I'll calculate it out.

Think I'll hold off on the UU's until I want to set off my golden age. Most likely after I've changed governments. That's assuming I'm not facing Rome or some such AA powerhouse, in which case I'll set it off to defeat them early.

I like the idea of going after the The Wheel first, hoping to pop Alphabet or trade for it. Depends upon other civs in the game.

I'll be going for fastest conquest, which I can't seem to win. The two times I tried it in COTM I got beat by 1 and 2 turn respectively. Of course, other times I didn't go for I would have been slaughtered by the increadible times. Hopefully I can pull something out this time. :)

Jove said:
Anyone thinking about moving the worker west, just to have a look across the water?

Would that be just curiousity or are you hoping to see something specific?

I'm not much of a foggazer but it looks like marsh/jungle north, water (fresh or salt) west and jungle south. So even when something attractive is visible in or across the water, there will be a price. And that price is jungle/marsh/water and some settler moves.

I wouldn't move the worker west, but send him straight to the wheat. On the other hand scouting west isn't bad. When you want a seasided capitol you have to taste the water first.

For myself, I don't care much if it is sea or lake west, I'll explore east. And even if there aren't any good lands east, it's at least the direction where the sun comes up ;)

worker goes to wheat and scout goes east, north. If some shields are revealed nearby I'll go for 20k in my second city south or northwest of the start, and move my settler east. If no shields the settler builds on the spot and I'll have to think about the victory. Hopefully there are some shields hiding. :D

Do goody huts yield Settlers or Workers this time? (Or has workers only become the permanent rule?)

Not much to add to what has been said. Could be a good idea to skip the Impis and trigger the Golden Age by capturing the Colossus or the Great Lighthouse and building one of:

the Statue of Zeus
Knights Templar
Leonardo's Workshop
Sun Tzu's Art of War

Or even the Great Wall -- bad wonder, good timing.

If the Colossus is not available perhaps we can capture the Statue of Zeus and build the Great Lighthouse.

Top Bottom