COTM 23 pre-game discussion

Abegweit said:
Towns are a good thing.They can always be abandoned for a worker.
Or...perhaps...boost research for much earlier Map Making? :mischief:

If you pop a town before founding a capital - that one would be your capital right? Nice site (probably) :lol: - I rather take the worker :rolleyes:

Gyathaar said:
I have never had a problem with early barb arracks in any of my test games (and believe me.. the first versions was much worse than the current version..)

Btw.. also remember you get a 400% bonus vs barbs on warlord
A 400% bonus won't help if they take out your settler.

Abegweit said:
A 400% bonus won't help if they take out your settler.
Restless barbs dont appear naturally in a warlord game till turn 30.. you intend to walk around with your settler that long? :rolleyes:

I'll probably pop the hut early while there's still a chance for a city. At worst you'll get a map or gold. My concern is that there is very little usable terrain and that we'll be forced to fight for land in a way similar to COTM 22. Even at warlord, archers & spears against pikes & knights is a losing proposition.

Gyathaar said:
Restless barbs dont appear naturally in a warlord game till turn 30.. you intend to walk around with your settler that long? :rolleyes:

No just 10, but with all those mountains to climb he has to rest for another 20.

AutomatedTeller said:
can you pop a town if you can't pop a settler? I would assume it will give you a worker...

Yes, you can. You only get a worker instead of settler because the two units have been swapped around in the game's list of free units. It has no effect on town popping.

Interesting discussion ... too bad I can't see the map y'all is talking about ... maybe I should come back another time :(

EDIT: I just read Ainwoods 'Problems with downloads & submissions' ... I guess the problems are related. This means I will have to be ....

patient :eek:

We'd better replace the image with a forum attachment. I'll do it when I get home, if Gyathaar doesn't get to it first.

AlanH said:
We'd better replace the image with a forum attachment. I'll do it when I get home, if Gyathaar doesn't get to it first.
Actually I did it 15 mins before you posted.. :)

Thanks Gyathaar ... now I can join in :D

Having read through this thread, I am very very tempted to move the worker towards the Hut. Best-case-scenario is of course that I pop a town. But I am pretty much in the dark about how big a chance we have that happening. Would anyone happen to know how big this chance is in this particular case?

But this may be irrelevant. Since I will pop no barbs, the worst result could be a little cash. Even some map info could proove very useful given the map conditions. So unless someone can give me another reason not to pop the hut immediately - besides possibly having to retrack a few steps - I'm going for it.

Now as for settling Seoul: this will of course depend on what I find in the dark to the north. It seems we're already on the southern edge of the map, so if at all possible I will not found Seoul in the dark part to the south. Even if an unexpected grassland cow appears out there, settling there will have to wait a bit.

FlowKey said:
So unless someone can give me another reason not to pop the hut immediately - besides possibly having to retrack a few steps - I'm going for it.

here's another reason by Chamnix

... but can we pop a worker while we have a settler on the map?

FlowKey said:
... Even if an unexpected grassland cow appears out there, settling there will have to wait a bit.

It rather depends on what you find in the middle. If there's only room for 1 city with no food bonuses, then I would prefer a capitol south if there indeed would be a grassland cow.

Re: popping a worker
Even if you found the capital first, its by no means sure you will in fact pop a worker, so all we're really talking about are altered chances. Like I said, I'll settle for a tech or a little map info. Thanks for the note tho.

Re: founding the capital
I didn't phrase my point correctly. What I meant was: I'm planning to settle as soon as a half decent spot appears, and will not head south on the slim chance there might be an even better spot (the proverbial 'grassland cow'). If I knew beforehand there was indeed a grassland cow to the south (from map info from the hut for instance ;)), I would definitely found my capital there.

I would like everyone to do as he (or she) pleases and I'd love to hear about it afterwards. But I'm popping that hut tomorrow and that's that! :D

EDIT: by 'a half decent spot', I mean of course a spot that allows my capital to produce a new settler. I do realize I am screwed otherwise.

Aah, I finally understand why we have such an evil map

It's NORWAY

See, all those mountains and fjords and...

Land Mass: Your worst nightmare...
Barbarians: Restless
Climate: Evil.. Just plain vicious..

I'm only supprised there are still whales around

FlowKey said:
EDIT: by 'a half decent spot', I mean of course a spot that allows my capital to produce a new settler. I do realize I am screwed otherwise.

Don't worry you can produce a settler just by having 1 coastal tile in range. ;)

Have Seoul work the coastal-tile (+ 1 food) and set build to a worker. Have your initial worker mine a mountain. After 10 turns you've got another worker and let him help the first worker. Set build to a settler and work the sea for 1 more turn, so you have +1 food.
Then work the (almost) mined mountain. After 10 or so turns the settler finishes. Join the 2 workers to Seoul and voila: you have a settler.

Redbad said:
Aah, I finally understand why we have such an evil map

It's NORWAY

See, all those mountains and fjords and...

I'm only supprised there are still whales around

We got tired of chewing on rocks.;)

Redbad said:
Don't worry you can produce a settler just by having 1 coastal tile in range. ;)

Have Seoul work the coastal-tile (+ 1 food) and set build to a worker. Have your initial worker mine a mountain. After 10 turns you've got another worker and let him help the first worker. Set build to a settler and work the sea for 1 more turn, so you have +1 food.
Then work the (almost) mined mountain. After 10 or so turns the settler finishes. Join the 2 workers to Seoul and voila: you have a settler.

Great trick, but if that's how we have to do it, I'm afraid it will proove pretty hard to keep up with AI with better starting positions. Even on monarch. Well, can't wait!

Top Bottom