COTM115 Austria - Pre-game discussion

I think I'll settle in place. Irrigate the wheat, road move to roading hill. For research, I'll head straight for Republic, hoping to get pottery pretty soon from Bismarck.

If northeast is fresh water (zoom out the pic could be helpfull) I would settle next turn.

1 more flood plain and minimum 1 more hill. Maybe 1 more forest and additional gold from the supposable lake

I have received a request to extend the deadline for this game by a further week to the end of August.

We already added five days to allow for the earlier server migration issues, and extension requests suddenly seem to be getting more frequent.

Please let me know if anyone else wants this deadline extended.

We already added five days to allow for the earlier server migration issues, and extension requests suddenly seem to be getting more frequent.

I guess in summer, other things interfere more. But we still must stop this nonsense already. Please, no more deadline extensions except in real emergencies! There's always the next game.

I wouldn't mind another couple days extension. I'm still on vacation at my parents' place and would probably be able to rush this game through, if necessary, but would rather prefer to spend my time with them...

Question for Più Freddo: in the locked alliance between Austria and Germany, what did you select in the "Victory Type" setting: "Individual" or "Coalition"? (See also my discussion of this flag in the COTM116 Pre-discussion thread.)

Don't you still have the .biq file that you used for creating the game?

Alternatively, you could play a few turns until you meet a third party (known to Germany as well?!), declare war and see what happens?!

Più Freddo;13927506 said:
I guess in summer, other things interfere more. But we still must stop this nonsense already. Please, no more deadline extensions except in real emergencies! There's always the next game.

i can understand that to some it may appear as nonsense. since i am one of those who in the past (not for this game) asked for extensions already, i shall offer an explanation for this. after all, we are only a small group of people left who engage into this competition regularly.
i am self-employed, plus hold two honorary posts, and raise a child the best way i can. this means an extra work shift besides the normal working hours, every night, 6 days a week. so if i shovel a few or more hours free to play a XOTM game, it practically ever time becomes very close if i can finish it on time. at the same time, it feels quite frustrating to have spent those valuable hours if i cannot finish by just a few more days.

i fully understand if our group should decide that we for the future rule out any extensions. however, for me, it would definitely mean that i would start *fewer* games, so not to risk to throw a half-finished game and some dear spare time into the bin. the possible last resort of asking for an extension is the chute that makes me jump in the first place. still i will always try to finish on time (or abandon the game soon enough if i realize i won't have the time).

t_x

I think many of us are in a similar position. That's why we prolonged the playing time from a month to six weeks. The risk with having a long playing time is that people who play faster, and there are some, get bored with waiting for the results and for the next game.

Would it make sense to extend the regular playing time per game even more? I don't think it would solve the problem. People in situations like the one you describe would raise their ambitions accordingly and ask for prolongation at the new deadline for games which they under the old deadline would have given up. (We also shouldn't forget that an alternative to giving up is playing faster.)

I think we should keep the possibility to ask for prolongation, but grant it only sparingly, when the motivation presented is particularly convincing. COTM115 has already been prolonged without actually having been affected by the server outage.

Più Freddo;13931413 said:
I think we should keep the possibility to ask for prolongation, but grant it only sparingly, when the motivation presented is particularly convincing.

Or maybe when there are quite a few people wanting an extension.

Top Bottom