[C3C] COTM160 Rome Demigod

Very enjoyable game, thank you for the nice chance to for once again finish an XOTM-game!
t_x

finish photo...
cotm160_final.png

one again sees me "inside out"-placement of towns!

farmlands:
cotm160_farmland.png

Last edited:
-the AS was really poor at research. from the Middle Age on, they practically contributed NOTHING but the free SCI techs. even most of the usual optionals stayed unresearched until the end of the game
-it seems there was quite some luck factor into which direction Greece and Egypt would expand. at some point, both started to box me in quite a bit. that led me to wage war early on.
-in the very end, my long time allies declared on me, out of nowhere and with not troops near to Rome. same with Persia, however, i betrayed them often. ;) militarily, the game of course was won after the home continent was secured.
-nice twitch with that Great Lake close to the starting position. reminded me of our Triel game to some extent!
-very nice allocation of the resources, which made trade very important. for me, the disability of the AS to build harbours meant late connection of luxes. but overall, trade was really a factor in this game (as I wanted to abstain from capturing even more islands!).

t_x

Well, I went a bit overboard with military conquest and built my research infrastructure too late. Could reach four turn research only in the last twenty turns. Mostly I had 5 turns. And then I screwed up the prebuilds and lost one more turn.

Game status:Spaceship Victory for Rome
Game date:1370 AD
Firaxis score:13308
Jason score:10376

It was a slog in the end, of course, and I let it rest while I completed the Celts game. Funny that we had the same UU in both games...

I had about 20 MGLs...
I had over 20... I had 20 Armies at one point, and 19 at the end, only one of which was built by the Military Academy, and I did lose a few. Late-game, I was even being careless with them there were so many. Load up a single Mech Inf and send it in because of the 3 movement points, for example. For a while in the mid-late 1800s I had 8-10 empty armies just hanging out south of Berlin, behind the chokepoint, waiting for troops (other than Infantry) to arrive to fill them.

Did anyone else think our home continent looked like a lobster, especially once it was all Roman? Two oversized claws going around the lake, a tail in the south. Maybe it's just because I traveled to lobster country this year, but I couldn't help thinking of lobsters as I watched the replay.

I could 4-turn most things by the end (2962 science, 90%, losing 50 GPT), but that was many centuries later as a Communist state! I was happy with my final numbers though - 72 million people, 4.36 billion GNP, 2284 megatons.

Just finished this game after 253 hours of play time. Will disclose the results in spoiler story format as I was very entertained by reading Quintilus's exploits and hope to similarly amuse you guys. Congratulations to all you guys and thanks to my brother Fredo for making a cool map, that yes, I also noticed looked like a lobster.

Just finished this game after 253 hours of play time. Will disclose the results in spoiler story format as I was very entertained by reading Quintilus's exploits and hope to similarly amuse you guys. Congratulations to all you guys and thanks to my brother Fredo for making a cool map, that yes, I also noticed looked like a lobster.
The map was designed by @Green Bear.

funny how Piu and I repeatedly get the recognition for this map and game. :)
t_x

I have never won on Demigod so I was grateful for the extra legionaries and their extra movement points bequeathed by Green Bear and not Piu Freddo, who apparently just writes poetry in Latin. I was wondering how he was allowed to play his own map.

610 BC which is apparently is the first time I saved.

Both my first two cities had two extra food tiles so I was able to make them into settler factories. Rome later switched to the Great Library prebuild, but Veii kept pooping out backpackers until the middle middle ages. Sent the legionaries galavanting to explore but pretty soon they had to head home, where they were great at murdering barbarians, and I let my cavemen wander instead. We met Egypt, Greece, and Babylon, though Babylon City was already Greek.

Did a good job spreading out, I thought. Egyptians got the tundra, but we got iron and started building legionaries, or warriors in remote cities which we upgraded with money we saved by not teching after getting Philosophy first and taking Literature as our free tech. Built one curragh which was sunk by barbarians three turns later. We are not a seafaring people. Maybe there are only four civs in this game, who knows.

The Greeks demanded a tech, I refused to give it and we are at war. Got a very early golden age.
Screenshot 2022-09-26 00.04.52.png

Here we see I have sent about 10 legionaries and 5 catapults to attack the jungle city of Ephesus. Egyptians annoy by traipsing settler pairs everywhere. There is a mysterious Greek galley which is either coming or going. Alexander is willing to talk to me but wants 20 gold for peace

590 BC - 2 archers and 1 hoplite approach the troops besieging Ephesus. The galley seems to have vanished. I remember now that it dropped off its cargo to die on the shores of Pisae.

530 BC - Still couldn't take Ephesus even with 11 catapults and 12 legionaries. Made peace with Alexander. 2 turns until Great Library! If I don't get it, I'm screwed. Everybody is at least 2 techs up on us (not counting Literature), and the Greeks are up 4! We have 13 cities btw, score is Egypt: 794, Greece: 746, Rome: 527, Babylon: 419. Power is about a 4-way tie, and the Egyptians have way more culture than the rest of us.

510 BC - one turn until the Great Library!!1 Here we see the Egyptians trying to steal my silks. Protip: I usually play with grid squares on (Ctrl-g) but I will forego them for better screenshots.

Screenshot (55).png

As the ninth best (out of twelve, shut up) Civ III player in the world, I feel obliged to share a series of milestones which I seek to achieve in nearly all my games:

Writery - 1st Philosophy - Literature - Great Library - become Republic - cannon/cav/railroads - Scientific Method - replaceable workers/Artillery - Hoover Dam

All of these cause me RL stress as I approach them. What if I don't get them soon enough, or where applicable, my enemies get them first? Then as I accomplish each one I quickly start looking forward to the next, which will finally give me the advantage over these jerks.

We have 52 units - 22 legionaries, 11 catapults, 6 warriors, 12 workers and a settler. 52 is the maximum. I don't think we'll become a Republic any time soon, sorry Suede. I am Caesar after all. Tentative plan is to invade Egypt after one of my generals elopes with Cleopatra and we have trebuchets.

490 BC - oh the Great Library, how sweet it is. No longer do we have to learn anything, except for how to make boats to contact more of our more-enlightened neighbors. Armies head towards the Egyptian border. The main one, anyhow, I figure I'll wipe them out at Actium, while defending from their tundra annoyers.

Screenshot (56).png

470 BC - OMG we learned everything, well 2 techs anyhow, since the Greeks have a singular knowledge advantage, which we will someday kill them to obtain. Well, if this game mirrors history anyway, which so far it seems to. Thanks again to Green_Bear for this delightful realism.

Historical fact #1: The Roman legions would routinely march 30 miles in a day, meaning 2 move points makes sense for them.

Historical fact #2: I once marched 30 miles in a day when I was in the army, and I routinely boast of this feat without mentioning the fact that I got a blister roughly the shape - and size - of Italy on my right foot.

Historical fact #3 - I have translated the first stanza of Piu Freddo's Latin poem:

Quanto sei bella Roma
Quann'è sera
Quanno la luna se specchia dentro er Fontanone
E le coppiette
Se ne vanno via
Quanto sei bella Roma
Quanno piove

How much do you love Rome?
Wannabe!
When the moon is in the fountain
And you claim to be copulating
Verbs on the side of the road
With a beautiful Roman girl
Can you prove it?

410 BC

At a press conference, I unveil the Roman Economic Plan:

1. Build new city without roads
2. Build barracks in new city
3. Build warrior in new city
4. Pay 60 gold to upgrade warrior to legionary
5. Connect city to roads and return to step #1

And am immediately besieged by impertinent questions:

"How do you get the money to do all this?"

"What happens when the Golden Age ends?"

"What if we run out of land to build new cities??"

War. War is my answer to all the questions.

"How will we pay for a war?"

What's that over there? Look, it's India!

Screenshot (57).png

Have all the question askers thrown to the lions. There will be no further press conferences in this despotism.

370 BC

Meet Germany.
Screenshot (58).png

Man, they are cultured.

Screenshot (59).png

330 BC

Execute the nitwit captain of the boat that sailed into a lake looking for other civilizations. Golden age ended, and we're not making too too much less, since we're not teching, but we're still 8 over the unit cap.

Screenshot (62).png

Stanza Two of what is now the Roman National Anthem:

Quanto sei grande Roma
Quand'è er tramonto
Quanno l'arancia rosseggia ancora sui sette colli
E le finestre
So' tanti occhi
Che te sembrano di'
Quanto sei bella
La-la-la-la
Quanto sei bella

How big is Rome?
Sooo big!
When the red army men have trebuchets
It's over
So freaking over.
What are you gonna do about it?
You're so hot
Cleopatra
Sooo hot!

After some time off due to illnesses and family stuff, I hoped to have time to get in a game of the month in the last little bit of September. I'm not going to get the GOTM started, but I did manage to finish this one.

I thought I'd try for 20k, and I did eventually succeed, in 1928. Germany, the Byzantines, and Rome were the only empires left at the end, and Germany was well ahead in building its spaceship. I landed a bunch of tank and mech infantry armies and artillery next to Berlin and declared war once they started part number 10. I've prepared for war to stop the spaceship before, but I think this is the first time I've had to actually carry it out. Destroying the spaceship was a relief, as I wasn't confident that the capital would be the right city - Berlin did not have the Apollo program, and I didn't know where that was. (I'd been told that you needed to take the Apollo program by some people, but the capital worked.) The Byzantine spaceship was only about half done, so I wasn't worried about them, and I had my own spaceship in progress just in case.

It was a fun game, so thanks to Green Bear.

My Space Race would have ended something about 1600 AD...unfortunately there is a problem with the popup window which shows the components if ready. Crashes everytime. So I switched to UN with an older save for winning this game - but of course all the others don't like me enough thoug I forced everbody against the Indian. :crazyeye:
But it was a nice setting! :goodjob:

I usually play with grid squares on (Ctrl-g) but I will forego them for better screenshots.
It's a matter of taste, but I like screenshots with the grid better... ;-)

"What if we run out of land to build new cities??"
Pillage the iron, set all towns to Warrior, have 6 Workers ready to reconnect the iron, upgrade to Legionary interturn...

oh the Great Library, how sweet it is. No longer do we have to learn anything
I love the irony of the result of building the Great Library being that it's no longer necessary to learn anything. What is to be done with all those rows of books, learn from them? Not at all, much better to admire their bindings and be ignorant! And yet it is true that in Civ3, building the Great Library tends to result in less learning, not more.

Also interesting to hear of CKS's adventures with spaceship destruction. I had to do that once many years ago, in a much-less-successful Communist game where England was planning to go to space. I can't remember now whether I had to destroy London or the Apollo city or if they were the same city.

Top Bottom