[GS] Countering rock bands

Paulo Santoro

Chieftain
While in my first game now with GS, I read several comments about rock band being "broken".
However I've already found some ways to counter its power.
  • Inquisitor. In 1 turn, Peter converted St.Petersburg back to his religion, after my band go there.
  • Music censorship (policy card). Rock bands from other players may not enter your territory.
Also, rock bands are not cheap, and the player needs luck.
And, finally, there is a simple and fun mod, "To hell with the devil", that allows apostles and inquisitor to fight against them. :D

I think rock bands are a good aspect of the game, strong, but not broken.

strong, but not broken.
You could flip a city with 2 rock bands, in fact you could flip an entire civilisation with rock bands. That was broken.
You could also get tens of thousands of gold off them allowing you to build a massive army.
They nerfed these 2 aspects a bit, they were broken, now they are strong.

I don't know if the bands itself were broken but the fact that the AI did not declare war on you for obviously conquering his civ with them. You were able to attack them if in war, right?

Other than indie promoted bands I've never quite understood them. What is the point of creating tourism bursts in your opponents civs?

What is the point of creating tourism bursts in your opponents civs?
If you are near to a tourism victory it speeds them up. It also is quite civ specific in approach so reduces the domestic tourists of the target civ., below there is a link to a rock bands guide that discusses the mechanics.

Late!y I always see the ai running the policy card preventing rock bands from entering their territory. I've stopped using rock bands, or at least stopped relying on them. I usually build two, find out I can't use them on the top domestic tourist civ, and don't purchase any more.

If you are near to a tourism victory it speeds them up.

But it states in wiki that the tourism is generated for the civ that owns the place where the band performed, not to the owner of the band. The bands can't play within your own borders and I want the tourism to win, right?

But it states in wiki that the tourism is generated for the civ that owns the place where the band performed, not to the owner of the band. The bands can't play within your own borders and I want the tourism to win, right?
Nope, the band owner gets the foreign tourism, the land the band is in loses domestic tourists. It is explained at the bottom of the referenced guide

heh, new Rock Band promotion: Battle of the Bands--allows band to fight other rock bands in no holds barred deathmatch (a la religious magicianfights, winner has their tourism spread to nearby cities in the same way).

When it says for it means against. I can't imagine why this is confusing. :crazyeye:

Late!y I always see the ai running the policy card preventing rock bands from entering their territory. I've stopped using rock bands, or at least stopped relying on them. I usually build two, find out I can't use them on the top domestic tourist civ, and don't purchase any more.

I've learned from my sad experience that it is probably better to spread out your bands across the world and not send them en masse into one country.

I had one game where I made a bunch of them at once, upon getting the civics, and I sent them all to my neighbour first. First round of concerts was a roaring success, but after the second one AI had enough of that and introduced Music censorship. My bands were all kicked out, but as they were close to another AI, I sent them all there.

There the story repeated itself, but this time the consequences were dire. Four or five of my bands were kicked out into the territory of a CS, which was completely landlocked within the borders of those two AIs who now were denying access to my music. And they stayed there trapped forever, until the end of the game. Before, I used to see AI adopting MC for a few turns and then reverting back, not this time though.

Now I never send more than two bands to the same AI, and I try to keep closer to the coastline, if possible :)

Is there any strategy guide as to how rock bands work? I remember in Civ 5 they were meant to target civilizations that you had trouble influencing culturally, but now they seem to get booed and fail lots of times for no rhyme or reason.

Can you kill Rock Bands with military units if you're at war? I never tried doing that, so I have no idea if this interaction exists.

I would like to see a way to use Rock Bands defensively. We should be able to use Rock Bands in our own territory, which would generate culture instead of tourism. This would let us convert faith into culture, which might be an interesting option to have, and give players and AI another way to delay other Civs from winning a cultural. They could replace Music Censorship with a policy that halve tourism from Rock Bands in your territory and give a 50% bonus to culture from your own Rock Bands. They could also keep Music Censorship, but change it to a chance for your Rock Band to be arrested, same as spies. I think that completely stopping Rock Bands from entering your territory is a bit exaggerated and can be frustrating since there's absolutely nothing you can do about it, aside from winning before the AI adopt it. Closed borders should stop Rock Bands, since that's something you can solve by keeping a good relationship, so they accept shared borders.

Can you kill Rock Bands with military units if you're at war?

You can't kill them, they are bopped back to the nearest city (of the band owner) like great people are.

Not sure if you can see the links at the bottom of my post, there is one called rock bands.
Try https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/civ-vi-rock-bands.27716/

no I didn't. thank you.
it seems like the best strategy is to use them on civs with higher domestic tourism, and playing at smaller venues (i.e. not wonders) has a better chance of success.

I just wish the the Civilopedia explained these sorts of things better, but just like religious pressure in Civ 5, often times it does not...

BTW, what is actually the indie rock band flip strategy?

I was playing Maori and noticed that a Greek city next to me had a fist symbol and while it had nothing to do with my winning in every way, I decided to chase the flip and started really obsessing with getting that city. Well, in the end I did not even though I gold bought all the possible culture stuff in my neighbor cities, sent all the possible trade routes for food to get pop growth and so on. In the end I tried to get indie rock bands and use a spy to reduce loyalty but couldn't really figure out how to do it. Well, the city in question didn't even have a performable venue but ignore that.

Does the city have to have already wavering loyalty? I understood I need to get loyalty to 0 for the city to revolt into a free city. Two rock bands and a spy (40+40+20) would do it probably but if the city gained any loyalty, that wouldn't cut it. Bands cannot perform there in the same turn in most cases. Or is multiple venues to perform on a requirement?

Top Bottom