[GS] Court of love

I think the ability is fantastic when combined with Bread & Circuses. I easily absorbed Scythia in my Frelanor game by running B&C nonstop. Admittedly, it gets old building/purchasing entertainment squares but it works very well.

My understanding is that any city that flips while subjected to loyalty pressure from COL will flip to Eleanor. She does not need to have the highest loyalty influence.

If that is correct, then you can move Amani around the map to city states within striking distance of cities that are about to flip and snag them.

That’s quite a devious mechanic and I didn’t think about it on the Freleanor game I completed last night. I might have grabbed the Egyptian capital when it flipped after being occupied by Mongolia. Thus allowing me to snowball a new part of the map.

That is not correct. A city must be receiving the most loyalty pressure from Eleanor in order to flip completely in one turn.

Says the Wiki:

Each Great Work in her cities causes foreign cities within 9 tiles to lose 1 Loyalty per turn. Any foreign city that leaves its civilization due to loss of Loyalty and is receiving the most Loyalty pressure from Eleanor instantly joins her empire, instead of becoming a Free City.​

So you are right. Was it changed at some point? I’m sure I read that pre-release.

Says the Wiki:

Each Great Work in her cities causes foreign cities within 9 tiles to lose 1 Loyalty per turn. Any foreign city that leaves its civilization due to loss of Loyalty and is receiving the most Loyalty pressure from Eleanor instantly joins her empire, instead of becoming a Free City.​

So you are right. Was it changed at some point? I’m sure I read that pre-release.

No, I'm pretty sure I remember both the FL and Ed very carefully describing it as it currently is.

Any city within Eleanor's sphere of influence flips to her, Otherwise it simply becomes a Free City. Be sure to check before you use your Rock Bands.

This CIV is brutally powerful, I have played it after Maori, Hungary and Mali, and did not except much, but even from a very weak start in diety with only 5 cities as start and fighting for my survival, I was able to annex every city in the continent, including 20+ wonders winning CV, even tough I did not build any. On Pangea you can win even conquest withouth fighting :)

yes, the main thing is you build one where you generate the points first. As @NorthernPalmyra says, it is easy to end up in a situation of not enough art museums and not enough money to get your archaeologists fast enough.

Yes, this and empty archaeological museums.

As I originally said, the four of love is about having lots of objects sooner, not ones of more value.

My advice would be to buy up all of the early great works before Russia or someone else gets them. Prioritize hooking up luxuries and sell them for max gold (not gpt). The early works are ridicously underpriced, comparatively. After these, you can keep up in points for later works.

My advice would be to buy up all of the early great works before Russia or someone else gets them. Prioritize hooking up luxuries and sell them for max gold (not gpt). The early works are ridicously underpriced, comparatively. After these, you can keep up in points for later works.

That's what I've been doing with them. Buying up GWAMs before the AI can get them. Sometimes before I even have slots for them, just so I can place them when a slot opens up.

This sounds like it would also work even better with Engleanor over Freleanor. More cash on hand with RNDYs, and selling iron and coal. Even richer trade routes via tunnels and railroads. I've yet to do an Engleanor game yet but I wonder how viable it would be to just snipe every GWAM by having a good gold income setup.

It's in fact 10 tiles from the city-center, starting to 0 (and not 1) from the city-center.
In other words, there can be 9 tiles in between city center A and city center B. I guess it's too much to expect some kind of consistency, but with industrial zones/factories/power plants "within" has a different meaning.

It's a fun mechanic. I played Freleanor and snagged Jesuit Education. I pushed theater squares and snagged the GL. Jesuit Education made it easy to buy Art Museums as the artists were born, but bbn of course I built more Arch. Museums. I also built a lot of entertainment complexes for offensive purposes and ran a lot of Bread and Circuses. I had most of my continent peacefully flipped by the time my CV finished. I like building wonders and I enjoyed using bread and circuses offensively so I really enjoy Eleanor. I also like the idea that cities join me because life is better in my Civ. I don't think she's especially powerful but she's fun. I'd imagine an ill-timed dark age could be disastrous if you have her as a neighbor.

One of the amusing things about CoL is that it is strictly offensive. Once you flip a city, it's at risk of flipping back if it's close to other civs' cities.

Well that was interesting. Just won a CV as Freleanor thanks to all the tips in this thread.

I was concentrating on flipping the Mongols since they were my closest neighbor but he was surprisingly resistant. In fact, Genghis was the second highest cultural power which seemed unusual.

Even more unexpected was when the Australian capital flipped to me! Gilgamesh captured it but couldn't hang on to the city and it joined France about six turns later. That added to the pressure on Mongolia and it wasn't long before their cities started flipping my way too.

By about 1800 Genghis was completely absorbed. I ended up with 12 cities and half of them were foreigners who eagerly joined the French Republic. Didn't even get a chance to send some rock bands out on tour. :)

Probably one of the most satisfying things about Court of Love is entirely flipping the tech leader.

Fun fact: a city within 6 tiles of the Statue of Liberty isn't immune to rock band with indie rock promotion, nor the city with the Statue of Liberty.

I guess it is the same for coastal phoenician cities on the same continent of the capital. It is odd, because formenting unrest doesn't allow to reduce loyalty.

Top Bottom