CPT - Civilization Placement Tool

Originally posted by SouthPaw
"... i have no idea how to use this program.
it will be great if someone can give me a dummy step by step tutorial ..."

:confused: :crazyeyes
Yes; Please ----------- a "Step by Step" would really help

:love: Civ; :love: Gold Prospecting
:lol:

Originally posted by Deathwalker
Can some one place a example plaement file here, because the one I made nvere seems to work? :(
Here are two files. The first one moves all civs to the upper left corner, it gives you the correct names and IDs for the different civs.

The second one is the one included with Marla's map, and was the first CPF made for a map.

Attachments

• examplecpfs.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 316
I'll try to write a small step by step thing.

1. Make sure you have CPT and C3MT (both by me)
2. Create your map, and place the overlay-starting positions where you want civs to start.
3. Start the CopyTool (part of C3MT) and load your map BIC.
4. Cick on Generate CPF and select a name of your CPF-file and when done exit C3MT.
5. Locate the created file and load it with Notepad
6. Take a look at the file, so that it has the correct number of positions. They are in the file in the order they were found on the map (searched from upper left corner row by row)
7. For each starting position in the file:
  a) Check what civ that shall be placed on the given coordinates. (using the editor (I sugest that you make a list at first, but if you haven't use the editor))
  b) Change the ID and the NAME to the corresponding civs
8. Save your work; it's now ready for testing

List of default Civs and IDs
Code:
[B]ID	NAME[/B]
1	Rome
2	Egypt
3	Greece
4	Babylon
5	Germany
6	Russia
7	China
8	America
9	Japan
10	France
11	India
12	Persia
13	Aztecs
14	Zululand
15	Iroquois
16	England
If you want a specific placement if the Civ is renamed to something specific (In Marlas map Sweden ;)) you can use any name, as long as you set the ID=-1

I posted this on the Marla's map thread on Apolyton and got no responses.

I'm trying to start my second game with correct starting locations on Marla's glorious map, and repeatedly encountering an IO error when loading the FIXED.SAV file. I had no such problem the first time I started one of these games, but this time it keeps on happening and I can't get past it. I've tried shutting CivIII down while running the correction program, and restarting the whole thing. Same trouble each time. The only thing I've done differently this time from the time it worked is to choose a different civ to play (Greeks) and to choose my opponents rather than make them random.

Any suggestions/fixes?? Is there a bug in the cpt program that's known?

Could you zip together your savs, both fix and the fixed. I'd like to have a look at them. Do you use 1.17f, or an earlier version?

Originally posted by Eyn
1.04 doesn't work with the 1.21f version ! :(

Yes sir! But it is cause civ.bic file have been changed. It is now the version 2. he he :). hope less bug.......

The reason why there is no working version yet is that the saves are compressed, asnd I don't know the routine to uncompress and compress them. I'm working on it.

Okay, thanks to chiefpaco, for finding an almost working decompression algorithm for the compression the DCL used, and to jimmyh for helping me modifying and testing it to work with Civ3 files, I can now decompress them. Finally thanks to Mike at Firaxis (or whoever made it possible to still load uncompressed saves (of the latest format) in Civ3) for that I don't have to make a compress function yet.

It's now working: CPT 1.05!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(see first post)

Thank you Thank you Thank you
I am the first one to download it!
Now I can finally play with normall rules on normal maps
Horray!![dance]

tryed it on 3 maps and didn't gind any bugs!
This is grate!

:goodjob:

Originally posted by Gramphos
Okay, thanks to chiefpaco, for finding an almost working decompression algorithm for the compression the DCL used, and to jimmyh for helping me modifying and testing it to work with Civ3 files, I can now decompress them. Finally thanks to Mike at Firaxis (or whoever made it possible to still load uncompressed saves (of the latest format) in Civ3) for that I don't have to make a compress function yet.

It's now working: CPT 1.05!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(see first post)

:lol: Just when I had almost perfected my first scenario, they released the new patch, and there is no workable SGE anymore!

I hope this means you are close to making a new one? :groucho:

I'm glad you updated this so quickly. My least favorite thing about civ3 (and about my only dislike ) has been the lack of starting locations. I'm glad that the only thing of the I dislike about 1.21f has been corrected with a new version of this goodjob:

Originally posted by joespaniel

:lol: Just when I had almost perfected my first scenario, they released the new patch, and there is no workable SGE anymore!

I hope this means you are close to making a new one? :groucho:
Well, first I have to decide wether I shall port the decompression code to VB, make a DLL or make a decompress.exe file which takes parameters for C3MT to use (the latest is the easiest, and maybe will do for the first version, but it may still take some time to finish the SGE.)

Hi

Could someone please post v.104 of CPT back on the forum, for us Mac folk who are still using only v1.17f of Civilization (yes, it's the latest one available at the moment.) Incidentally, have any mac people got this to work, either via the Mac or on Virtual PC?

Thanks a lot!

TGA:)

Well, I got v1.04 off the web, but just like the latest version, when I use it on my mac save (v1.17f) (in Virtual PC, which runs Windows 95 on the mac) it just means that 'fixed.sav' comes up with the starting view in the right place, but the units under cover of darkness in their original location, and when you move them, they show up there. (The correct starting location remains covered up, so you can for example see other civs found cities there.) What's going on!? Is there a fix for this, or some other way of getting it to work for the mac?

I'd be interested in seeing the fixed sav from your run.

Also, 1.05 should still work with the old saves.

Sure, this is the fix.sav I started with and the fixed.sav I ended up with.

Oh, and thanks a lot for taking the time to look into this :D - I'm sure there are a lot of other mac users who are curious.

Top Bottom