Crapsack world challenge

I've had two long work days and I'd like to have good 8 hours of sleep for a change. So good night.

Stack of chariot and 2 horse archers razed another barbarian city and captured barbarian worker. I may have found decent location for city along the nearby river. 2 food resources, flood plains, plains hills, and forests for chop rushing... Yes please! Further south comes tundra and presumably south pole. On east side of the screen is westward city of Suryavarman's Khmer empire. My another chariot is exploring his territory.

I completed great library, got guilds researched and am now making knights (macemen too), after code of laws I'll build courthouse in every city to reduce maintenance costs and start research engineering. I'd love to beeline to communism for state property and whatever else for representation. With those I can reduce upkeep costs and upgrade research. I'm gonna need hefty load of money to upgrade my many axe-/swordsmen. Or I just keep them as is to garrison cities, keep people happy (as long as I've got hereditary rule), and fight occasional barbarian...

[edit]
I'm gonna use knights to raid other barbarian cities and steal their gold :trouble:

Attachments

• crapsack14.jpg
    crapsack14.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 120
Now this is some good stuff here!

Montezuma declared war against me. Guess he went around the Mayas and is aiming at P'yongyang. Hoo-boy, now there is some stack! So I upgraded axeman to maceman, longbowman takes hill and delays in there, and reinforcements are coming from nearby cities. It takes at least 2 turns for nearest units to get there. Hope Longbowman can do some good.

And he does! He frags 2 catapults and wounds the 3rd all by himself before falling to spearman! Oh-hoh, spearman is also badly wounded! Hmm... should I charge with Maceman uphill to weaken the stack even further...

Some turns and attacks later I have beaten Montezuma's first attack. Not without casualties though. I lost at least longbowman, maceman, and swordsman. Maybe some axemen too. Battle of P'yongyang is over and Korea is victorious! How should I continue war from here...

I consider building stack of doom, attack through Maya territory, and capture Aztec cities one by one. I can reduce city upkeep with courthouses, and when I get to communism, I can adopt state property to cut costs even further. Gotta shave, shower, and go to sleep now...

Attachments

• crapsack15.jpg
    crapsack15.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 118
With random event I got peace with Aztecs. Then Montezuma declared war against Mayas and I couldn't get in the action becouse of 10 turn time limit with the peace treaty. Aztecs got one Maya city before I could reinforce it sufficiently. I have enough hwachas, but I have shortage of other available units. Before new war between Aztecs and Mayas, I had all cities building courthouses. But it was well worth it and paid off for the new city. Otherwise other empires have expanding like crazy. Maybe my war efforts would have been best used on the southern front instead banging my forces against majority of Montezuma's invasion force at the north... Oh yes, everybody are at war against the Aztecs. Gotta catch few Aztec cities for myself before others gobble them up.

Attachments

• crapsack16.jpg
    crapsack16.jpg
    475.6 KB · Views: 56
From your report I'd say you pulled off a good defense. If you hadn't gotten peace with the Aztecs, you could have hit Monty's stack as follows: sacrifice 1-2 hwach'a (which should hit the Combat II axeman... or would they actually hit a catapult because of the bonus vs. melee?); then kill the spearman, weakened by collateral, with a Combat I / Shock-promoted War Elephant (barracks + stable allows at least 5XP). WEs could have cleaned house afterwards, since they ignore Monty's Shock promotion.

If you plan switching to State Property later and stay in it, courthouses without the Organized trait will hardly repay their investment. They cost 120 base :hammers: apiece; even when factoring in Organized Religion, you could still have produced a knight (90 :hammers:) at the same effective price. Consequently, you've found yourself short on units to capture Lakamha and vanquish Monty's injured stack right now. Three more knights and two macemen in theater, and you could have decided the war on this exact turn.

The problem is that once you start running State Property, most of the courthouses' benefits vanish, whereas additional knights conquering the distant Aztec cities would have maximized the benefits you could gain from State Property.

It's long way to go to state property and I need income right now. I can imagine other empires with many undeveloped cities are struggling with economy, thus lagging behind me with research. I'll go with nationhood and representation as soon as respective techs have been researched, then it'll be more military tech.

So I was going to attack Aztecs at the south end of the map. Then I noticed that major Aztec force has vacated Lakamha, a mayan city they had captured. I promptly attacked it instead and handed it back to mayas (99% maya population, so why not). Then I proceeded towards Oxhuitza and found Aztec army in there. Guess what they did? That huge stack you can see on the screen went and attacked my scout!!! So that opened way for me to Oxhuitza, I captured it in short order, then decimated that huge stack. Aztecs counterattacked (of course) several times, but I have beaten them every time. When I get city walls up, I could go and capture more of their cities. Gotta explore surroundings with spies first.

I have adopted representation, nationhood, and theocracy. Had 2 turns of anarchy. Better that way than 3 turns if I had adopted each of them one at a time. I set up new city north-east of my empire and BFC covers deer, cows, copper mine, and couple hamlets barbarians had made. When I get replaceable parts, I can start make lumber mills. Aztecs have thrown whole lot of units at my stack of doom, but still they've got enough to capture cities of Khmer. And my people are getting tired of the war. Maybe I should follow example of mayas and make peace... If I did that, I could develop my cities until I can start train riflemen and cavalry. Hmm...

Attachments

• crapsack17.jpg
    crapsack17.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 58
"Civ 4 AI sucks" 10/10 -IGN

Soon after I had captured second Aztec city for myself, I decided to make peace which Montezuma agreed upon. Then he wanted my sheep, which I refused and he started another war. While sizeable number of my workers were on strike ("world sees you as a villain! or some such nonsense) and thus starving, I upgraded some musketeers to riflemen and went against his northern-eastern city. After 2 turns of bombardment, apostolic palace decided to end the war. Damnit, I could have got that city in 2 more turns! Oh well, back to building banks and such. When I get some cannons is when I'll declare new war (unless he does it first) and trash him again.

I lost some Hwachas against his attacking stack. And some turns of research when I turned that slider down to 0% in order to get gold for unit upgrades. Speaking of which, it'll cost some 200 to upgrade elephants and melee units to cavalry and riflemen. Worth the investment, or should I move those to backwater cities to fight barbarians?

Attachments

• crapsack18.jpg
    crapsack18.jpg
    496 KB · Views: 61
I've got Montezuma by his balls! Suryavarman asked my help to fight Monty and I agreed. Not gonna stop until I've got curb-stomped him to dust! I've got infantry, cavalry, and cannons against Monty's muskets, longbows, and cuirassiers! I'm winning this!

I coughed up money for infantry by zeroing research for a turn or 2. Still had to pull research down to 50% to get income on positive (I wanna upgrade rest of my units) When I get state property, I believe I can increase research back to 60% or even more.

Attachments

• crapsack19.jpg
    crapsack19.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 49
"At this moment, our army is advancing towards the last Aztec city in overwhelming force. We expect swift and decisive victory and the final fall of the Aztec empire. The Aztecs have waged war against us and every other empire of this world. While other empires have lost their ground and cities to Aztecs, we of the Korean Empire have prevailed. But even then, Aztec spies and terrorists have destroyed our infrastructure, poisoned our waters, and spread propaganda to incite strikes. They won't do it anymore! For victory is at hand, and victory will be ours!" At prime minister's words, encouraging murmur of assent went around the parliament chamber. Some cheered. Beside the prime minister, king Wang Kon whispered at his ear: "Now the difficult part." Prime minister nodded and shuffled his notes.

"While ultimate solution to Aztec threat is at hand, we need to direct our attention to other problems which still plague whole of the Korea. With many conquered cities under our domain, Korea has more different religions than ever before. Religious leaders have expressed dissatisfaction against our state religion, which is Buddhism. To address this, king and I propose free practice of any religion which doesn't violate Korean law."
At that, one of the more devout buddhist representatives sprang up to his feet and expressed his objection loud and clear. Some others voiced their assent for objection.

Prime minister didn't let any of that disturb him and continued. "Many of our citizens have expressed dissatisfaction to being forced to serve as lower class. Becouse of that, some workers in some cities are in strike and refuse to work and serve, even if that would starve them to death. They demand emancipation which all other empires have already adopted. To alleviate this, our empire should follow example of the others and allow equal liberties and freedom of speech and expression to all of the people living in Korea."

Again, someone shouted objection. Before anyone else could raise his or her voice, prime minister continued with his speech. "Finally, among the nobility are many who have embezzled tax money to build palaces for themselves where they hold extravagant parties. I know in this very room are some who have done that. It won't be tolerated any longer! All buildings and other property of significance within Korea are to be placed in ownership of the empire and special department will be created to decide how to best make use of them!"

Almost all parliament members stood and shouted in unison, some voicing their assent, but most against. Some started fighting. Few climbed over the tables and chairs heading straight towards the king and prime minister. From all doors within the room, marched in soldiers in black uniforms. They carried wooden batons and short range firearms. They started arrest the most enthusiastic fighters, but at that other parliament members started fight the soldiers instead. One lieutenant stopped close to the king and prime minister and urged them to follow him.

"That display was to be expected" said king Wang Kon to the prime minister as they walked out of one of the secured side doors. "It has happened every time changes of any significance have been made."
"Unfortunate but true" agreed prime minister. "I have made thorough study about such events. Still, these changes are more numerous and more radical than anything before in time of any one of your majesty's ancestors."
"That may be" answered the king. "But we get through it. Korea will get through it. And at end of it, everything will be better of it."

Past two days I have played the game with one more turn. And I have got to somewhere with it! Whole lot of researched tech, Aztec empire wiped out, and at end of it, 4 civic changes with 3 turns of anarchy. Don't think I have time for cultural victory. I could try conquer rest of the world, but I don't wanna. Becouse I have definitive edge in technology with 70% research (after civic changes), I'll aim to the space.

Some funny stuff happened along the way. After I got norther Aztec cities out of the way, Mayas passed through and conquered barbarian city right between Khmer and my (conquered from Aztecs) territory. When I captured one of the last Aztec cities, another Aztec city at Khmer's border (with large % of population being Khmer) revolted. I wiped Aztec military with my cavalry and liberated city back to Khmer. Right away, its culture borders took about half of another city's (now mine) BFC and population is starving becouse lack of food sources. Still looking good for me. Now researching fascism becouse it'll give me great general if I can get it first, and Seoul is building Pentagon. Still many turns to go...

Attachments

• crapsack20.jpg
    crapsack20.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 124
  • crapsack21.jpg
    crapsack21.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 68
Only uranium source that is easily accessible for me is near the north pole in middle of the snow. New city there then. Good thing I mopped off the Aztecs and conquered their territory. Without that feat, I wouldn't have uranium now. Next factories and nuclear power plants everywhere. And soon hospitals too. Manhattan project is underway and then I'm gonna aim for Apollo project and space race.

Other two civs are building cities near poles. And they don't seem to care about unified borders. At least Chalieng has access to oil, but what's the point with Lubaantun?

Attachments

• crapsack22.jpg
    crapsack22.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 62
  • crapsack23.jpg
    crapsack23.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 128
3 different shades of blue rule the world :lol:

Okay... so I looked away for a few days and when I come back you're stockpiling weapons grade uranium?
Honestly people these days. Turn your back on them for one second and suddenly they start building nuclear bombs.

In all seriousness though this is pretty good. I'm a fan and I'd like to see what you do next.

Okay... so I looked away for a few days and when I come back you're stockpiling weapons grade uranium?
Honestly people these days. Turn your back on them for one second and suddenly they start building nuclear bombs.

No I don't! No bombers, no missiles, no such things! But I've got tanks, mobile arty, and mechanized infantry. Still can't do modern armor and space ship construction goes at snails pace becouse I don't have aluminum. To remedy it, I made new city right next to it and made it build theater, library, and other culture generating buildings. But before that, I had helluva crappy turn. Also I didn't start look for the aluminum right away, but only when I had need for it. Oops, should've paid more attention. Still I could have enough time to complete the space ship before I'm out of turns. Double time if I can get that 1 square of aluminum for myself...

Attachments

• crapsack24.jpg
    crapsack24.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 115
  • crapsack25.jpg
    crapsack25.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 68
I love nuclear weapons :D I throw them around like toys in the late game :p

Game over

Attachments

• crapsack26.jpg
    crapsack26.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 150
  • crapsack27.jpg
    crapsack27.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 129
  • crapsack28.jpg
    crapsack28.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 89
  • crapsack29.jpg
    crapsack29.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 59
  • crapsack30.jpg
    crapsack30.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 84
It was interesting experience. I'd like to up the difficulty and play such scenario once more. Can you recommend me map settings or custom map (scripts) that have even less of resources, grasslands, and flood plains rivers, and even more deserts and plains?

Top Bottom