Crash when executing CIV5.exe files

JohnSnow1992

Chieftain
Dear comunity,
since the installation on my new computer I am unable to start Civ 5 BnW in any DIVX modus. I would be glad for some assistance, please let me know if I have to provide more information on my system and the errors. Having tried several tipps from the internet, however non have worked so far :(

Error Messages
DxDiag

- Reinstalled graphic driver GeForce (somewhat related to: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=454466)
- Reinstalled CIV 5 via steam download (file delete, etc.)
- Reinstalled Steam
- Reinstalled Anti Virus program
- Repaired vcredist_x86.exe
- Checked local game data >5 times
- Used different Anti Virus program
- Loaded Hotline Miami, another Steam Game, to check for Steam Updates (see http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=514170
- Installed/updated/ and repaired all drivers
- No third party toolbars

This might be related:http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showthread.php?t=1296785, http://forums.2k.com/showthread.php?104776-civ-5-crashes
Same error here (with mainly same Hardware configuration): http://steamcommunity.com/app/8930/discussions/0/810938082364543745/

Thx!

Have you tried any compatibility modes?

Yes, I tried compability mode for the steam.exe and selected Windows 8. Problems persist. However, today I could isolate the problem to the GeForce Graphics driver. I used the current version, but the game still crashes. Without the drivers everything works fine. The offical drivers from NVIDIA do not work, I have to use the ACER drivers :( Any ideas?

You mentioned updating your GeForce driver, but your DxDiag file shows only Intel graphics. Your system may be using the Intel graphics, which is known to work poorly with Civ5. Does your system support switchable graphics? That feature would allow you to force your system to use the GeForce device.

According to the Geforce System Settings I am using the GeForce card. And I guess thats the problem ;-) Without the GeForce driver I do not get the BEX and AppCrash error :(

According to the Geforce System Settings I am using the GeForce card. And I guess thats the problem ;-) Without the GeForce driver I do not get the BEX and AppCrash error :(

Are you saying that if you use Intel video, your problem is solved?

You could try disabling the intel graphics via the mother board and force windows 8 to let you install the nvidea drivers.

Are you saying that if you use Intel video, your problem is solved?

Not exactly. It only works with the Intel driver if the NVIDIA driver is not installed. If I just try to start with the INTEL graphics it still does not work.

So, is this a correct summary of your problem?

NVIDIA driver never works with Civ5
Intel driver works with Civ5, but only if NVIDIA driver is uninstalled.

If yes, I think you should follow timtofly's suggestion and disable the Intel video.

So, is this a correct summary of your problem?

NVIDIA driver never works with Civ5
Intel driver works with Civ5, but only if NVIDIA driver is uninstalled.

If yes, I think you should follow timtofly's suggestion and disable the Intel video.

Yes, that's correct. How do I configure my motherboard settings? Via the BIOS menu or is there a separate windows 8.1 menu in the system settings?

Thanks!

P.S. I reinstalled the drivers, chipset first, then INTEL, then NVIDIA, still crashes after NVIDIA drivers are installed.

There should be an option in the BIOS menu that disables onboard/integrated graphics. If it still crashes, then you may have a bad nvidea card, and it should be swapped out for a working one.

The reason you need to disable it in the BIOS is to make sure there is no software conflict going on because the OS is attempting to combine the two chipsets in an efficient manner.

If windows fails to load after disabling the intel chipset, then go back into the BIOS and enable it, and the nvidea gpu will need to be replaced.

There should be an option in the BIOS menu that disables onboard/integrated graphics.

I have an Acer OEM. I can find the option for enabling / disabling Intel VT or the RAM allocation for both graphics. Puuuhhh, Acer is close to become my new Microsoft...

Googeled around, but couldnt really find out how to switch on more BIOS options. Any ideas? Big thanks!

I cannot find anything either, but it is not the VT or RAM allocations.

If you do not see anything in the integrated peripherals or GPU settings, then you may have an acer that does not allow you to do such a thing. Some will only allow you to use the intel only or switchable. Bad design if you ask me.

If that is the case you may be able to go under the nvidea control panel in windows and force the steam.exe to only be associated with the nvidea GPU. You may have to enter the civ5.exe also.

If that does not work, people have used an HDMI cable to another monitor which forces the full use of the nvidea GPU.

force the steam.exe to only be associated with the nvidea GPU. You may have to enter the civ5.exe also.

Tried, not working :(
I will try to deinstall Steam and Civ first, then the graphics, then the chipset driver and then reinstall in this order. Maybe I have installed the graphics driver before the Chipset driver. However, the Intel driver is working fine, I can even play CIV in DIVX 9 and 11 version. However not with the Geforce card... Acer, you are driving me crazy...

If that does not work, people have used an HDMI cable to another monitor which forces the full use of the nvidea GPU.

I use a all-in-one machine (Acer Aspire U5-610). No second monitor available :(

It could be that the Nvidea daughterboard is defective. Is it still under warranty?

You could post the full diag report. Or look at it yourself. If the nvidea does not ever show up, then the OS is not seeing it. It may even show up as working in the device menu, but the software itself is not functioning, and could indicate that it is defective.

Is there even a nvidea control panel? There should be one that let's you test and change the settings of the nvidea GPU separate from the intel graphics.

Acer could be blocking it in a proprietary way and just be accessing it in an optimized manner, and will not let the end user take full advantage of the GPU.

If that is the case then you are stuck with what the intel chip is capable of by itself.

It could be that the Nvidea daughterboard is defective. Is it still under warranty?

It should be, I bought the computer in December 2013.

You could post the full diag report. Or look at it yourself. If the nvidea does not ever show up, then the OS is not seeing it. It may even show up as working in the device menu, but the software itself is not functioning, and could indicate that it is defective.

I installed Starcraft Wings of Liberty, just to check. It is not working with either graphics version. With INTEL drivers I get a black starting screen, with GeForce I get an AppCrash. See Crash message and error report:

http://pastebin.com/RXXkmeLp

Furthermore, I inspected the diag report and no Geforce Device pops up. I contacted Acer supprt, however their competence so far is quite limited. I will also contact the retailer and check there...

Is there even a nvidea control panel? There should be one that let's you test and change the settings of the nvidea GPU separate from the intel graphics.

Yes, there is a nvidea control panel. How could I test the settings?

Adjusting anything in there and giving the nvidea priority will either crash the driver or you will be able to see a noticeable change in the display.

If you do not see the nvidea in the diag, then either the bios is not letting the OS switch between the Intel and Nvidea or it is set to Intel only. Or the Nvidea is defective.

For some reason your software (games and diag) is not able to access the ability of the Nvidea GPU.

Dear timtofly,
thanks for your assistance and help. I could solve the problem, well in a not fully satisfying way, but it is working. I reinstalled windows with my original Acer UEFI Windows recovery. Even though I am using a new harddrive, I copied the recovery Window version as a install version on my USB drive (32GB...). Using this install all drivers were already installed. Now it works. I cleaned up the crappy preinstalled stuff with CC Cleaner. Not the perfecionist solution, but it finally works somehow :)

Top Bottom