Creating your own Soundtrack!

Leugi, can you or somebody who knows how to make a soundtrack work with .mp3 files take a look at mine and see what is keeping it from working? All files except the XML and SQL have been loaded into VFS and the three code files have been set to UpdateDatabase, so I'm really at a loss by now.:sad:
Email me at civtar@alpenwolf.com and I'll send you the .civ5mod.

Also, whoever looks at this, please don't tell too many people about it...I want it to be a surprise.

From the OP.

"A very important step, after the fall patch its important to set your mod to "ReloadAudioSystem", in the Actions tab at your mod properties."

Is this button checked in your mod info?

Yes. If it matters, the Audio_Sounds are defined in one xml file, the Audio_2DScripts are defined in another, and a short sql file sets the SoundtrackTag for all the civs in vanilla, G&K, and DLC (I have everything except BNW). Do these all have to be in one file? If so, please explain how to use xml to set the soundtracktag.

Is there a reason you set LoadType to "DynamicResident" rather than "Streamed"?

They both work. I was initially convinced that the 2nd was better because base game music runs as "streaming" (according to Fire Tuner Audio panel). However, my mod added mp3's indicate No for streaming regardless of whether LoadType is "DynamicResident" or "Streamed".

It may be my imagination, but it seems to make a small difference in the transition from menu music to mod music. It's a better transition if I add my mod music as "Streamed". With "DynamicResident" they run over each other.

The Audio_Sounds table also has a DontCache field with default value false. You can change that and the game works. What's annoying is that we have no basis to know what these values should be. My guess is that music tracks should be true (ie, don't cache) and other sounds false (do cache).

Slightly different issue, but IIRC ogg files won't load into the VFS. So I believe modders have no choice but to add music as MP3s. (I don't know but maybe that's why these don't stream even with LoadType = "Streamed")

I did everything as described step by step, but I activate the mod and the old music plays. No changes at all. I have no idea why it doesn't work.

Did you tick the "Reload Audio System" box in your mod's properties?

Yes, when I compare it to other mods, everything seems to be exactly the same. I have no clue.

Yes, when I compare it to other mods, everything seems to be exactly the same. I have no clue.

I realize you don't know what's happening... I'm trying to help with that.

So you definitely checked the Reload Audio System checkbox. Good.

Did you import all of your sound files into the VFS?

Did all of your changes actually load into the database?

I realize you don't know what's happening... I'm trying to help with that.

So you definitely checked the Reload Audio System checkbox. Good.

Did you import all of your sound files into the VFS?

Did all of your changes actually load into the database?

I did all of this.

Can you please look at my attached mod? I removed the actual sound files (3 files), but you can just put any sound file (mp3s) with the same name to test. Great thanks!

Also, I downloaded Faerun Soundtrack, and if I don't mess with anything, it works. However, what I would like to do is to modify SQL rules so that I can have some music for Asia, America, Europe etc. (not every Civ I play). I have no idea how to do it. Could you please help me with it? XML is an easier way, but it doesn't work with my NEW SOUNDTRACK zip that I attached.

Attachments

• NEW SOUNDTRACK.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 197
I think you need to modify leader music: it seems that the music playing is leaders, not regions soundtracks, because as soon as initial leader peace music ends it starts over again.
That said my soundtrack still isn't working.

Do you know why some files can't be replaced in Beyond Earth? He's the script.

<SoundID>SND_INTERFACE_SELECT</SoundID>
<Filename>InterfaceClick</Filename>
<LoadType>RESIDENT</LoadType>
<Context1>ALWAYS_LOAD</Context1>

I can replace most sound effects, but not this one.

It should technically work. However, I'm not certain for I have not tried, and also there are no different soundtracks per se in Civ:BE (they depend on the tileset rather than on the civ as far as I remember)... but its worth giving a try.

I'm extremely grateful for this tutorial - it's exactly what I'd wanted - but when I try to upload the mod to steam workshop now, it immediately fails - not with a particularly helpful message, either. It's not timeout - it just says 'upload failed' within a second of me pressing upload. I'm assuming this is due to file size (it's about 100MB). I didn't necessarily create a large soundtrack - 16 for peace and 17 for war - and I was wondering if there was a way to get around this?

Edit: I got it to upload by shaving it down to about 80MB, but if anyone knows a way to get more through, I'd be grateful.

Last edited:
Hello there,
I too have got a problem with the soundtrack. I could only let a Original Civilization play it, but modded civilizations ignore the new soundtrack. What can I do?
I've tried to change the SoundtrackTag via <update> and in the original files, but it did not work.
I would be really happy, if somebody knew what to do.
Thanks and Greetings!

Last edited:
Leugi, I would like to introduce DoM speeches to some of modded civs that do not have them. Is it still possible to update them so that they include the voiceover? Should I follow the steps that are used also for creating the mod, or is there another way round? Thank you for your reply.

Trying to add new soundtrack to Cultural Diversity. Stuck on step 2. The solution explorer is blank and Windows Media Player plays the song.

Anyone have more info on the Either thing? There is no Either sound scripts, but Either plays on war or peace? So that means they can play during either wartime or peacetime, but you still have to give them a sound script name that ends in PEACE or WAR? :crazyeye: I don't think I'm quite getting how they work.

Top Bottom