CTD on Large and huge map....

Locdog

Chieftain
I have yet to play a game on a large or Huge map. pre patch game would freeze or restart my computer...with patch it does the same thing. Ive updated all my drivers and have no idea what to do? Any one have this issue or have a solution?

My specs:

AMD Athlon xp 1700+ 1.46GHZ
512 MBram
Nvidia GeForce 6200 128mb graphics card

This is incredibly annoying. I have CTDs in mid to late game with a huge map. The patch did nothing to fix this.

My Specs:

Intel P4 3.o GHZ
768 RAM
SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON PCI EXPRESS 128 MB

i had the same, bigger then large forced CTD or Reboots...then I installed drivers which are now almost 2years old..et voila, c'est ne pas de probleme :)

i have nvidia 5600 128mb agp and in a second pc nvidia 256mb agp 5500... whit the huge or big map, the game whit or whitout the pacth exit to desktop... or reset pc.....:cry:

help... please....

nasosansoft said:
i have nvidia 5600 128mb agp and in a second pc nvidia 256mb agp 5500... whit the huge or big map, the game whit or whitout the pacth exit to desktop... or reset pc.....:cry:

help... please....

well I wrote above, I installed 2 year old drivers and my problem was gone! :) so I can only help you by telling you:"older drivers worked for me" I don't give that as an advise, just as knowledge, it's up to you what you are going to do with it :)

mrgenie said:
well I wrote above, I installed 2 year old drivers and my problem was gone! :) so I can only help you by telling you:"older drivers worked for me" I don't give that as an advise, just as knowledge, it's up to you what you are going to do with it :)

Can you post where you got the drivers from, and the exact file name?

Thanks....

jajohns8 said:
Can you post where you got the drivers from, and the exact file name?

Thanks....
Here is a link to the ATI site and their past driver archives. Scroll down the page a bit to see the ones from approximately 2 years ago.

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=1328

I'm willing to try this as Civ IV is the only game I'm really playing much right now. But, I'm sure if I try to play Battlefield 2 or anything else that's recent, a two year old driver isn't a good idea.

I'm gonna uninstall my current driver and try the 3.10 driver from 11/5/03 and see how that works....

Oblivious said:
Here is a link to the ATI site and their past driver archives. Scroll down the page a bit to see the ones from approximately 2 years ago.

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=1328

I'm willing to try this as Civ IV is the only game I'm really playing much right now. But, I'm sure if I try to play Battlefield 2 or anything else that's recent, a two year old driver isn't a good idea.

I'm gonna uninstall my current driver and try the 3.10 driver from 11/5/03 and see how that works....

well, normally installing older drivers isnt a great idea. i admit, but I play battlefield 2, AoE 2, I use software like solidworks, coreldraw, and alot of other smaller software, and I don't have any problem with the 4.10 drivers..the 4.xx generally don't make problems, but some earlier versions can be slowing down some things..but not that much really

Pentium 4
3 GHz
1 Gb of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6600

Hello, i want to notify that you can find additional informations about crash to desktop on huge world in this thread:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=143214
And if someone can answer to my questions that you can find in this thread, i will thank you :) .

mrgenie said:
but i'm not a beta tester..... :mad:
and i have a nvidia... not ati.... is the same? or i want to download a 3 years ago driver? or 4 ago? o 3,5 ago? :mad: 40 euro gived to trash!!!

W the pirateria!!! a lot inasmuch as x to have no service, and to have the same problems, but to pay less... I prefer "to buy it" the next time in Internet... to cost zero, and having the same one disservizio that I am buying it in store....

I used to get the CTD in late stages of the game with huge maps and 18 AI players. This was before the patch.

So I followed the advice posted by someone on one of these forums about the memory requirements and once I bumped my system from 1 gb to 2 gb of ram, the CTD's kind of went away. I say kind of because, I still havent gotten around to finishing up a huge world map. But in the games where I was seeing the CTD's, they definitely stopped happening. Cant say for sure if further along in the game it would get to the point where even the 2 gb wont be enough.

I am using the latest nvidia drivers ...(81.95), though in my case I dont think I had any graphics related issues.
From a performance point of view, I have also turned off sound, movies, animated battles, animated movements, but my game screen is set to the highest resolution with high graphics.

system specs are in the signature

evergus said:
ISo I followed the advice posted by someone on one of these forums about the memory requirements and once I bumped my system from 1 gb to 2 gb of ram, the CTD's kind of went away. I say kind of because, I still havent gotten around to finishing up a huge world map. But in the games where I was seeing the CTD's, they definitely stopped happening. Cant say for sure if further along in the game it would get to the point where even the 2 gb wont be enough.
but on the box the sisyem requirement are 256mb of ram!!! not 2gb!!
:mad:
and i know that on pc whit 1gb ram the game work....

nope .. I meant ram ... in my case 2 gigs of paired DDR2 533 mhz ram.

I know what the box said, but I am telling you from experience. Having played the game using the huge map and 18 AI players, when I had 1 gig of ram, I saw the CTD's on my system (without the patch) in the late stages of the game.

When I bumped upto 2 gigs the CTD's went away during those turns.

I dont think the patch has significantly improved the memory needs on huge map with 18 players. What I have noticed with the patch is that the game is not leaking as much memory as it used to.
Before the patch, I used to see that you start with XP using 256 mbs of memory, start the game and play a few turns including opening up the world builder and what not and exit the game and you will see that the system memory usage has gone upto 400+ mbs and you might see sluggish computer performance.

To require 2 gigs of PC4200 to play Civ is so far the other side of reasonable, it's got a personalized parking space in front of the UN.

C'mon --no one that meets the minimum requirements on the box should have to upgrade a damned thing on their machine to get the game to work properly.

So says me.

Your mileage may vary.

Later!

--The Clown to the Left

I totally agree with you .... someone whose a lawyer should come with a class action lawsuit to sue these guys for mis-representing the product.

I mean I paid 50 bucks for the game, but in order to enjoy the huge map aspect of it I have to shell out another 75 bucks for memory ... is beyond reasonable ! And this is just my case where my computer is only 3 months old, think of those who are contemplating more memory as well as new graphics cards *JUST* to be able to play the game.

+ Its not like we can return the games for money back because the stores do not take back software once it is opened.

nasosansoft said:
but on the box the sisyem requirement are 256mb of ram!!! not 2gb!!
:mad:
and i know that on pc whit 1gb ram the game work....

Actually it depends on their systems, mine it works perfect with 1GB. OP was having CTDS. There is a serious flaw in memory management code that is causing this, hopefully 1.10 will fix this or HArkonnen's 3rd party patch. See memory leak thread for more info on this. I know long thread but very informative wish firaxis would read it.

Usability of your system seems to depend alot on how the game perceives it. Mine luckily only allocates as if I had 512MB of main memory thus making 1GB enough... After patch I have yet to see game request more than 1GB of memory (even whole system usage for that matter). So oddly enough they semed to make it better fro me that had no problems to begin with....a bit of slowness on huge maps before patch enough to not wnat to play them a lot but not enough to stop me completely... after it runs good even on huge maps so far...

Top Bottom