culture expansion?

el toro loco

Warlord
i'm playing as montezuma vanilla patched. it is still relatively early in the game. somewhere around 1 bc. i have built stonehenge which gives me 1 culture and a library in one of my cities. the computer ai roosevelt builds a city right on top of me where my culture borders are touching the edge of his city. i'm contemplating trying to culture flip his city since i have a well established city already producing culture. he builds a single archer and grows to 2 and then his borders expand? i immediately go to world builder and check to see if he has any culture buildings only to find out he doesn't. he isn't a cultural civ but is somehow generating culture in this city. he has 30 something culture.

am i missing something? is there a way for computer to generate culture here?

i'm pretty sure this is an error but it's the second time i've seen something funky like this. i once caught computer making swordsmen before any civ had iron hooked up. we were talking early.

He could have an artist for a while, or a religion, or some percentage of his commerce into culture, or he could be building culture... Tons of possibilities; do you have a save ? Would be easier to check

Also, stonehenge gives a free monument, not a free library :crazyeye:

it was the religion. i always thought you had to build temples and other religious buildings to gain culture. i didn't realize you automatically gained culture just for having a religion. it amazing that i've played as many hours as i have and didn't know that. thank you for the reply.

/i meant that the city i had had both a library and obelisk(sp?). sorry, i'm horrible at grammar. :)

I think they only recieve a passive culture bonus for having founded a religion, not simply having one present.

While in Free Religion a city gets 1cpt for each religion present. If a state religion is chosen only if that religion is present will a city get the culture. It does not matter who founded the religion. The city that founds the religion gets an additional 5cpt.

I believe the 1cpt applies if you are running paganism as well, but the happy face only applies under Free Religion. I play BtS so it could be different on Vanilla.

Since Vanilla, if you have no state religion, you will get 1 culture for each religion in a city, and 5 if it's the holy city. If you have a state religion, culture from other religions will not apply.

i'm pretty sure this is an error but it's the second time i've seen something funky like this. i once caught computer making swordsmen before any civ had iron hooked up. we were talking early.

How did you know that no one had iron yet? If you haven't gotten IW then there is no way of knowing. If you have it, maybe he built a city on top of iron and you can't see it or traded for it from someone else that had it, perhaps a civ that you don't know yet.

Culture flip lol. Culture flips are there only for the dream... you are not supposed to see them. Just conquer the city with some swordmen.

He's playing as Monty. Jaguars are even better. You probably only need 2 or 3 of them to take that city. If only one archer is in his city, build a SoD of about 15 Jaguars and take city after city after city. :evil:

he was a religious ally and he sailed over to my continent to put only one city on my continent. i figure why go to war over one city when i could flip it. and the city wasn't vital as it only had one corn. i'm playing monarch and have flipped in the past.

as for iw, it was very early where over history of me playing i've never seen computer build swordsmen that early. which is why i went to worldbuilder to look for iron and mines. at that point in the game only two civs had bronze connected. but your probably right, i just missed something. i find as i get older i'm not the smartest cookie.

he was a religious ally and he sailed over to my continent to put only one city on my continent. i figure why go to war over one city when i could flip it. and the city wasn't vital as it only had one corn. i'm playing monarch and have flipped in the past.

as for iw, it was very early where over history of me playing i've never seen computer build swordsmen that early. which is why i went to worldbuilder to look for iron and mines. at that point in the game only two civs had bronze connected. but your probably right, i just missed something. i find as i get older i'm not the smartest cookie.

I find flipping them with culture to be quite satisfying. Sure, you can beat them with an army, but it's more fun (in my eyes at least) to conquer them from the inside-out, so to speak.

Top Bottom