Culture Flips & Armies Destroyed

Aegis

Deity
Is there a way to prevent your units from being destroyed if they are inside of a city that culture/riot flips? Is there maybe a way to have your units in that city transported back to your capital, instead of being destroyed?

I have not played with culture flips turned on for many years because I tired of losing 200+ units from a city that flipped a few turns after capturing it.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Ah well. Thank you. =o)

I believe that it was figured out the number of units required to avoid a culture flip though. So with the correct minimum required number of units present in a city, the city will not culture flip.

EDIT: Here it is... The link to the culture flip calculator. This way, you will know whether or not it is worth placing alot of units in a city or not.

Tom

Thanks, Tom. That will come in handy.

....OR you could make sure that your culture is equal to or greater than your closest competitor's culture value, but that would mean playing a more builder-type game. ;)

I have not played with culture flips turned on for many years because I tired of losing 200+ units from a city that flipped a few turns after capturing it.
Why would you put 200+ units a city anyway?

That's actually a valid point... I usually don't put in more than 5 (and even then only in BORDER cities or coastal ones that could be easily attacked by the enemy, otherwise I put in only enough units to get the max Military Police benefits from....)

Because that has a good chance to eliminate all resistance in a freshly captured city in just one turn.
What is even more interesting in city with 30+ population.
At least I do this too. I keep my attack force in such a city for two turns. Then all resistance is eliminated and the Army healed. Possessing the wonder that gives barracks everywhere support this strategy perfectly. But it also means you have two turns full of sweating...

....OR you could make sure that your culture is equal to or greater than your closest competitor's culture value, but that would mean playing a more builder-type game. ;)

That's not really an option when launching an aggressive war campaign on another continent. ;)

When attacking a neighbor on another continent, or on the other side of my current continent, I commence the assault by attacking 1-2 of their cities and use them as beachheads for reinforcements to arrive. I had that many in cities a) to prevent culture flips and b) because when your enemy has tons of Modern Armor and rails, it's nice to ensure that neither the city nor precious units are lost from the counter-attack.

I had that many in cities a) to prevent culture flips

Now I have stoped wondering. That`s your way of preventing culture flips ???
You can put a million units into a city and it won`t prevent the city from flipping. It doesn`t help.
Dam ,somewhere I have had a list of what to do. Okay here my best tip to successful prevent culture flips :

The very best way is to already have captured population of the specific enemy ; make sure that exactly these foreign population in you captured city is HAPPY !!!
btw ,the city should be near an enemy city as possible. The nearer ,the better !

That will help you more than any unit you can build.
Speaking about happiness is the keyword here ! (Luxory,Wonders,Improvements,Tax rate)
So you don`t have to bother anymore about that flip-feature. You will profit from it !

Use my hint and you`ll be glad if the first enemy or neutral city is becoming YOURS.

Bye
General 666

Now I have stoped wondering. That`s your way of preventing culture flips ???
You can put a million units into a city and it won`t prevent the city from flipping. It doesn`t help.

It does help. The number of units in a city lowers the chance of it flipping.

Dam ,somewhere I have had a list of what to do. Okay here my best tip to successful prevent culture flips :

The very best way is to already have captured population of the specific enemy ; make sure that exactly these foreign population in you captured city is HAPPY !!!

The population tends to be very upset with me because I just stole their land, killed their compatriots and I'm occupying their city. Remember that this is usually a city far away from my own capital (usually on another continent) that is close to their capital and typically surrounded by their parent nation's culture borders.

btw ,the city should be near an enemy city as possible. The nearer ,the better !

This is only helpful if I'm trying to flip a neighbor's city over to my empire and I have strong culture. This will not be helpful if I am trying to prevent my newly conquered city from flipping back to the nation I just took it from.

The population tends to be very upset with me because I just stole their land, killed their compatriots and I'm occupying their city. Remember that this is usually a city far away from my own capital (usually on another continent) that is close to their capital and typically surrounded by their parent nation's culture borders.
Switch all of them to entertainer. They will be happy.

....Or put at least 20% of your treasury to entertainment... In my AoI game (which admittedly has culture flips disabled), I was able to keep the 50+ British cities I'd captured from rioting while I went about eliminating that particular behemoth.... Granted my approval rate dropped down to 51% by the time the war was over, but it jumped up to 75% as soon as I captured the last British city.

Also, having a TOTAL culture that is greater than your enemy's DOES help prevent culture flips, even if said city is on the other side of the map.

It's not a definitive answer, but...

I frequently play mass regicide games. In my most recent game I just lost a new, strategically placed city via a flip as soon as I removed a king unit from the city. So I went back & replayed the turn without removing the king. Several turns later it hasn't flipped, even though it's almost completely surrounded by larger cities of the same foreign power. I think the same wouldn't work with GLs s - I've lost a couple by flipping, irrc.

Top Bottom