Culture Victory

DemonMaster

A.K.A. Fenhorn
Is it just me or is it easier to win by Culture. My playing style (at least before BtS) usually ended up with me launching a Spaceship, sometimes if I went for it early on I won by Culture. Now I don't go for a Culture victory (at all) and it usually comes as a shock when I do and I asking myself. What cities, Where? Me?

Whislt I myself have not won on a cultural victory, and I have not tried to play for it, I have noticed that two of my cities attained legendary culture, without me trying. I think it has something to do with BTS having more turns in a game than warlords used to.

I would take note of other changes as well:

1. The Sistine Chapel now gives +5 culture for state religion buildings
2. Corporations can provide extra culture (like Sid's Sushi, Creative Construction, and Civilized Jewelers, I think)

Yes, I think it is easier. In my very first BTS game, I got a cultural victory even though I hadn't originally planned to go that route at first. But the downside is that it is easier for the AI to get cultural victories, too, it seems!

All my BTS victories are cultural. I have won with Louis, Freddie, Liz and William VO (took two tries to win with him). Monarch level.

I've just been trurtling but in my last attempt I had two serious invasions I had to deal with. Nappy hit me by sea so it wasnt so bad. Charlemange was my neighbor and he sent a HUGE SOD against me. I'm talking like 20 cavs and 20 rifle supported by some arty and inf in the same stack. Standard map. I would hit it over and over with collateral improved arty but there would still be undamaged defenders, the stack was so deep. And I lost one city before he would make peace. Then my third city hit 50k.

So there is some risk involved if you don't build enough troops along the way.

I'm really thinking of trying to fill my Hall of Fame with nothing but cultural wins.

So far, I've won Charlemagne scenario by papal favor and domination victories. I'm going for a culture win sometime...I just have to stop fighting. But it's so addictive...

In my last game I played the Alexander and my plan was to conquer my continent and in the end my hemisphere (I played on a hemisphere map). I was lucky besides getting good production sites to places cities, I got the stable quest, BUT when I march towards the enemy, My scout didn't found a land route to them, I got no land way to them, mountains all over the place (on thin land tongues). Damn, now I must build a navy and a large one, but when I finally built a sizeable navy to be able to move my army, we have entered a new era, so my instead of a having a good cavalry and a good infantry, I've got an outdated cavalry and an outdated infantry and no money to upgrade them with. I gave up and thought I come back when I got my gallions.

I won a cultural victory. Even I was shocked when It happened. It must have been wonders because I won cultural before corporation. I got alot of wonders (I had alot of good production cities).

I will test the Mayan next time and I WILL go for an early war and be large, large, large, the world will be in awe before my armies instead of my Elvis'.

Besides me making fun of myself I (now) really try to win by other means than culture, but I can't and I cannot skip to build the "cultural bomb" wonders just because of this because the AI will then build them and I don't like to disable the victory condition. Perhaps I am (have become) a cultural kind of person after all.

I'm amazed--I still haven't "accidently" won a cultural victory. Although I'll tend to let the AI waste its hammers on wonders I don't want while I build up troops for the fight...

So basically I'm a "wonder addict". Great, one more to the list of addictions. Next time I will not build the "culture bomb wonders" (if I can help it) and win by conquest.

Hi all !!

while you are talking about it...
I know it will seem stupid, but... Since BtS, I can no more see how my cities are gaining culture, in the cities advisor screen. With Vanilla, it was quite easy, I saw how many culture points each city had, and how many it "earnt" each turn.
But now, I can't understand what the figures mean...
Anyone can help ?
Thank you so much !!

Top Bottom