Cumulative PM-based History Quiz II

Status
Not open for further replies.
luceafarul said:

Now that I came to think about it, maybe it's not surprising at all. They did 'ice pick' lobotomies in the 60s (maybe later too?) and you hear rumours of scientists washing their hands in benzene (carcinogenic agent) just 30 years ago. Oh well! That was just a few examples of how scientifically advanced we really are.

5. In what office was the following restrictions (among many others) imposed on the person holding it (8 points)?
- It was unlawful for him to be out of the city for a single night
- He was forbidden to sleep out of his own bed for three nights consecutively.
- He might not mount upon horseback, nor even touch a horse
- He was not allowed to swear an oath
- He was not allowed to go out without his proper head-dress.
- He might not touch flour, nor leaven, nor leavened bread, nor a dead body
- He was forbidden either to touch or to name a dog, a she-goat, ivy, beans, or raw flesh.
- None but a free man might cut his hair; the clippings of which, together with the parings of his nails, were buried beneath a felix arbor.
- No one might sleep in his bed, the legs of which were smeared with fine clay; and it was unlawful to place a box containing sacrificial cakes in contact with the bed-stead.
- He was required to wed a virgin and he could not marry a second time. A divorce was not permitted, and if the wife died he was obliged to resign.

An important position in Roman religion; the High Priest of Jupiter. For those who like contrafactual speculations, it is perhaps interesting that Julius Caesar was nominated for this position, but never installed.

Yeah, that was the one I stumbled onto. I was reading about him in Suetonius, and a note in the back mentioned that he'd been nominated once to be the flamen dialis but was apparently never inaugurated. It was mentioned apropos of the event in 62, when he divorced his wife Pompeia over Clodius's defiling the ritual of Bona Dea, held at his house that year.

Do not fear, my fellow quiz enthusiasts: I have certainly not forgotten about this. I've been occupied with schoolwork, though. My last exam is this Thursday, and I should be able to post my offering some time during the week after that.

Best wishes until then!

Well, here it is! As I said, it has a more literary turn than usual, and I'm afraid it's frightfully Eurocentric, but I hope it will at least provide a challenging and entertaining diversion for all our devoted quiz-takers.

1. What is the name, according to some official sources, of history's most famous Dalmatian? (4 points)

2. For 4 points, relate the circumstances of the last person to be convicted under British witchcraft legislation.

3. It has been said of a certain great man that, at some point in his life, "he became 'good,' abandoned his daughter, adopted correct principles, and wrote bad poetry." Name him (3 points) and the author of this quotation (2 points). You can get another 2 points by identifying the most important political event with which he is associated, and a further 1 point for his basic opinion of it. For 3 bonus points, say what he had in common with these fellows:

4. Name the first American President. (3 points)

5. In what country did the Terrace Mutiny occur (2 points), and what was its primary cause (2 points)?

6. Two roughly contemporary authors of immensely famous and well-loved children's books share something quite specific in common, something which began the literary career of one and ended the other's. Name the authors for 2 points each, and earn 3 points for briefly describing the thing they have in common.

7. Who was the first man who could officially call himself Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (3 points), and what was unique about his death (2 points)?

8. Use the pictures as clues to find the name I'm looking for:

4 points for the name; 1 point for each person pictured; 3 points for the painter of the fourth picture; 2 points for an explanation of each clue's connection to the answer; and 2 points for giving the name of the person most closely connected with the answer. Since I'm feeling generous, take another 2 points if you can say how one of the persons in this question was responsible for the deaths of several young men. 22 points in total are available for this question!

9. A certain cobbler (as he might be called), in the course of a storied life, was taken prisoner of war, collected for three years a daily gallon of wine from his king, and personally witnessed one of his country's most famous insurrections. Identify the man, the battle at which he was captured, the royal booze-pusher, and the insurrection in question, for 1 point each. He was also an author, and you can earn more points by identifying his two most important textual influences (2 points for each). Interestingly, the first recorded reference to a certain object in the natural world occurs in one of his writings, and you'll get 3 points if you can name it. (11 points in total.)

10. During which decade did the last veteran of the Crimean War die? (3 points.) Give the veteran's name to earn another 2 points.

11. What fact about the Earth was Ferdinand Magellan instrumental in conclusively demonstrating? (1 point.)

12. Among many rather curious preoccupations with his posterior, a very important historical figure reports doing much of his thinking, and even writing, while seated on his garderobe. Name him for 3 points.

The maximum score available is 80 points, and I expect many of you clever types will win a healthy portion of that. There's no particular hurry about the deadline, and we want everybody to get a chance to submit, so for now I'll give you three weeks to get your answers in by May 21. As always, you are permitted to attempt any question more than once, but research is not allowed. :)

Our first entrant, dutchfire, has scored two points for a partial answer to question 6.

Scoreboard

Atticus 14
Adler17 13
Dragonlord 12
sydhe 10
scienide09 6
dutchfire 2

We have two more submissions: sydhe has won 1 point, and Atticus screams out into the lead with 5.

Keep 'em coming in!

Sydhe has nailed #7, and now has a narrow lead over Atticus for first.

We have a pretty small turnout so far, especially compared to the last quiz, so I'm going to offer a two-week extension in the hope of drumming up more interest. New deadline is June 4.

Do you all want hints? Most questions on the quiz haven't even been assayed yet.

Atticus got the point for #11, so we have a two-way tie for first. But it's still only at 6 points, so there's plenty of room for competition.

Do you all want hints? Most questions on the quiz haven't even been assayed yet.

Maybe it would increase participation. I'm surprised that certain persons haven't even given a try, perhaps the thread should be more aggresiverly bumped?

All right, I hope these help:

4. The fellow whose name I'm looking for held the office of President in what is now the United States, but predates Washington.

5. The Terrace Mutiny took place during the twentieth century.

6. The link is of a violent nature and, broadly speaking, took place within the same historical event as the Terrace Mutiny.

8. The name in question is legendary.

Questions 3, 8, and 9 are all literary questions, but of course they are also of considerable historical importance.

Very nice quiz.
I know the answer to some of those question, but since I can't win anyway and besides I have some important matters to clear up in real life, I haven't decided yet if I will participate.

Atticus has added 7 points to earn a clear lead for the moment, with 13 in total.

Please do submit, luceafarul, if you have time. (I'm curious to see how much you can answer!) We only have a few submissions so far, so I'm perfectly willing to extend the deadline to include anyone who wishes to participate but has other demands on their time at the moment.

We have a new entrant: Dragonlord scoops up 12 points, and seems poised to increase his total.

And I think I'll add another week to the deadline. Participation is beginning to pick up, and I hope an extension shall hearten all competitors.

A new competitor, scienide09, has won 6 points, and Atticus has added one to his lead.

Very nice quiz.
I know the answer to some of those question, but since I can't win anyway and besides I have some important matters to clear up in real life, I haven't decided yet if I will participate.

But why do you have to win to participate? I just like like to see how well I do, and if I win, so much the better. Even if I have to do the next quiz.

Adler17, always a dangerous competitor, has entered the running with a solid 13 points, while sydhe has added 4 and joined the leading pack.

And with this thousandth post, the thread is finished. I've posted the quiz and scoreboard in the Quiz III thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom