Cumulative PM-based History Quiz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we go:

1) We all know about the renaming of St. Petersburg (note the Russian name is Санкт-Петербург, Sankt-Peterburg without the “s”) to Petrograd at start of WW1. But, this wasn’t the first time the language of the city name was changed.

What other name was used, and when? (2pts)

Clarification: Of course, it was called Leningrad between 1924-1991. The question is about an earlier change. The language would suffice.

2) Leonardo da Vinci’s “tank”.

The existing drawings are highly detailed; thus, models and even a full-scale replica have been built in our times. Surprisingly, that thing does not work at all(*), if it is constructed according to the plans.

What’s wrong, and why does the plan contain such an obvious error? (1pt each)

3) Which famous text starts (and this shows what it is REALLY about :rolleyes: ) with the following paragraph:

” To hold him, who has taught me this art, as equal to my parents, and to live my life in partnership with him, and if he is in need of money to give him a share of mine, and to regard his offspring as equal to my brothers in male lineage, and to teach them this art if they desire to learn it without fee and covenant; to give a share of ( ) instruction and all the other learning to my sons and to the sons of him who has instructed me, and to pupils who have signed the covenant and who have taken an oath according to the ( ) law, but to no else.”
(left out a few specific terms, to not make it too easy)

1pt for the reference, 1pt for another example of its hilarious content.

4) What exactly is so important about this painting?
(2pts)

5) This cross is the symbol for what/whom?
(2pts)

6) Like their English and French counterparts, the Dutch explorers and traders in the 16-18th century loved to name newly discovered/claimed/sighted lands for Dutch cities or provinces. New Zealand, New Holland (used for both Australia and the Recife region of Brazil), New Netherlands and New Amsterdam (New England/ New York),…

Now, where is New Friesland?

(2pts; but I’ll give 1pt for correctly guessing the explorer, which is a lot easier IMHO – don’t think there are more than like 3 choices; yes, it was one of the famous ones).

7) For a typical** Romanesque to Baroque church – which orientation is correct?
(1pt for the correct answer, 1pt for the reasoning behind)

Oops, shrinked too much - North is up, of course!

(This is the cathedral of Speyer, the largest still existing Romanesque church, btw.)

8) What does the term Rotten Borough originally refer to? (2pts) ***

9) Surprisingly, Wilhelm II, last Emperor of Germany, last King of Prussia, grew up in the Hassian city of Kassel (which was Prussian in these days, of course), and not in Berlin or Potsdam.
However, Wilhelm wasn’t the last important king to spent a crucial time of his life in Hassia – Who do I mean?

10) Many inventions of the Industrial Age were called for those who constructed and developed them. Well, those two (unalligned)men each invented something that isn’t only called for them, but literally “sounds like” them.

The left one is a Belgian, the right one an American; 1pt for each.

11) With all those nobilities the German particularism resulted in – What was the highest genealogical number (like in Wilhelm II) ever used?

2pts for either the correct number, or the correct house; but I’ll give 1pt for any estimate in the ±10% range.

Be assured this questions isn’t easier to answer for a German ;); and, that particular noble spent his/her entire (short) life in England anyway.

I'm indeed asking for any count/duke/elector/ [insert all aristocratic titles]/whatever. And not only actual rulers, all persons who hold a title in Germany until 1945.
And, I don't expect anyone to actually know the answer - but reasonable guesses. (Point is, one family had a completely weird naming rule, so it must be a member of that particular house; that's why I accept the house as correct answer as well)

Have fun!

---------------------------------------------------
*The question how useful such a huge machine on a muddy battlefield may have been, or if it would caught fire upon using the cannons is something completely different…

**As always, there are some exceptions to this rule; most notably St. Peter in Rome, which is orientated to the Tiber River.

**If that question is ridiculously easy for British members, then go ahead and include an example...

The Babylonians considered 13 to be an unlucky number. Their number system was based on 12, because so many other numbers divided equally into 12 (2, 3, 4, 6) but 13, being a prime number, had no divisors.

I think I'll pass on this one thanks, two answers is all I can muster.

privatehudson said:
I think I'll pass on this one thanks, two answers is all I can muster.

:( And I thought I made it too easy...

Give it a try. Hey, I even included a multiple choice question, to encourage educated guesses!

Btw, what's with the Rotten Buroughs? Is that common knowledge?

I'm taking guesses at both, and I'm not really familiar with rotten boroughs, (unless you count knowledge from blackadder :lol: ), so I'll pass sorry. Not really my subject matter I guess.

Well shoot, I just gave an answer away then :D

Private Hudson,

Look closely at the collar of the American in question 10. That will give you a big hint.

BTW, it isn't true that most people who invented ways to kill other people died through the agency of their invention. Richard Gatling wasn't shot to death. Dr. Guillotine died in his bed, as did Hirim Maxim. The myth started after the mugging death of the inventor of the cosh, Sir William Blunt-Instrument, in a London alley in 1870.

My thanks to Mr. T. Pratchett for bringing this to my attention.

That was one of the guesses ;)

(well actually not from the collar since I have no idea what you mean even now)

Well I took a stab in the dark in the end. Quite prepared to see 0 points scored :lol:

2 more submissions:

Loulong 7pts
YNCS 7pts
privatehudson 7pts
Serutan 3pts
----------------
Question correctly answered so far:
Partially answers for:
That leaves

5 isn't easy, but needs no further clarifications.
11 - all guesses so far were way too low.

But I'll give one more hint for 9:
We're talking about post-WW2 here.

Question 11 can only be guesses, no-one's likely to know all of the Dukes and so on to be fair ;)

I don't know how usual I am, but I suppose there is something suspect about me.
I will give it a shot tomorrow, even if I freely admit that it is more than difficult enough for my taste... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom