Current and accurate Civ V sales figures?

Does anybody have any current Civ V sales figures, or at least an approximate but fact-supported estimate? No 3-month old crapola, but fresh(er) info.

I doubt you will find information like this, but it would be interesting. It's something Take2 shareholders would want to know as well, so it's the kind of info that is hard to get on purpose sometimes (I think).

What would be even more interesting is the ratio between actual sales figures and expected figures.

There aren't any, as nobody tracks digital sales besides the digital retailers themselves, and they don't release those figures publicly. I don't know of any game developer/publisher which posts exactly what the sales have been.

this is insane when u think about it, all other media (that i can think of) advertise sales figures as a sign of success, movies release week 1 box office sales, music charts are based of sales figures, best seller shelves in the book stores and yet game quality is based of professional reviews and random internet polls ... what the hell is that??

some games advertise sales figures, minecraft passed the 1 mil mark a month or so ago, WOW continues to advertise the size of the subscriber base .. and im sure i have seen others, but definatly in the monority with games

best figure u can use is the people playing the game now stat in steam ... but that doesnt really compare against most of the market out there

this is insane when u think about it, all other media (that i can think of) advertise sales figures as a sign of success, movies release week 1 box office sales, music charts are based of sales figures, best seller shelves in the book stores and yet game quality is based of professional reviews and random internet polls ... what the hell is that??

Hmm there's something you don't think about every day but vary good point.

this is insane when u think about it, all other media (that i can think of) advertise sales figures as a sign of success
it really depends on the easiness of tracking sales/views and the value of such numbers for marketing.

For example, In case of TV shows, the views-count is a tool to measure the value for advertisers.
In WoW it's a way to show the richness of multiplayer environment.

For most games, especially for the likes of ciV, there is no big market value in publishing sales figures.

Looking the achievement I was really surprised by:
Last Man Standing (Win any Multiplayer Match): 1.9%
MP games are not popular at all!

Looking the achievement I was really surprised by:
Last Man Standing (Win any Multiplayer Match): 1.9%
MP games are not popular at all!

MP is plenty popular. I just win 98.1% of the time. Sorry bout that. :)

How many users can actually play multiplayer?

I've seen a few people on my friend's list play a few games all the way through, but yeah multiplayer doesn't seem to be that popular. (Which isn't surprising with grand strategy games, most of them aren't multiplayer focused).

EDIT: From this article which is using information from some financial firm's ESTIMATES for 2010 Steam sales, I'd say Civ5 has done pretty well.

Top Selling Titles, by Estimated Gross Revenues in 2010
Call of Duty: Black Ops (Activision) - $98.2 Million USD
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision) - $39.4 Million USD
Left 4 Dead 2 (Valve) - $36.0 Million USD
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (Electronic Arts) - $25.4 Million USD
Sid Meier’s Civilization V (2K Games) - $21.9 Million USD (Divided by 60 that is 365,000 sold. Probably more because of Steam sales. I do not know if this is only digital sales or also includes retail (which it probably does judging by how well the CoD games have sold).
Portal (Valve) - $20.0 Million USD
Fallout: New Vegas (Bethesda Softworks) - $17.0 Million USD
Metro 2033 (THQ) - $13.4 Million USD
Mafia II (2K Games) - $11.9 Million USD
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising (THQ) - $10.8 Million USD

Although it's not sales stats, Steam publishes real-time stats of who is playing what games on their service. Link here.

Civ is consistently in the top-10. People are playing this game. They play the heck out of it. As I post this on a Saturday afternoon, over 26,000 people are playing it right now. That number goes up in the evening hours.

EDIT: From this article which is using information from some financial firm's ESTIMATES for 2010 Steam sales, I'd say Civ5 has done pretty well.
I wonder why is he dividing by 60. If we take the game to cost USD 50, that makes a bit more than 400.000 Steam sales. Add about 600.000 retail which I saw mentioned (but that is an old figure), and it turns out, Civ V may have sold more than 1M "copies". Yes, that is a solid number.

Why use $50 or $60? The are many, many people who are not in the US who pay up to $100 USD for the game. I say selling 250-300,000 is pretty terrible.

Well, Amazon Germany already has cut prices to ~50% of the initial price (€ 22.99 incl. shipping).
Seems that in Germany Civ5 is quite a flop.

Well, Amazon Germany already has cut prices to ~50% of the initial price (€ 22.99 incl. shipping).
Seems that in Germany Civ5 is quite a flop.

Well their UA is crap.

Also:
Sid Meier’s Civilization V (2K Games) - $21.9 Million USD (Divided by 60 that is 365,000 sold. Probably more because of Steam sales. I do not know if this is only digital sales or also includes retail (which it probably does judging by how well the CoD games have sold).
When comparing Civ5 to COD you have to realize that COD has a much wider base and will therefore sell way more regardless of the medium so I'm not sure you can draw any conclusions from comparing the numbers presented.

As of a few weeks ago:

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/43507/sid-meiers-civilization-v/Global/

For comparison:
  • CiV: 1.26 Million
  • Civ IV: ~ 3.0 Million
  • Civ III: ~ 2.0 Million

There was a huge fall off very early, with a bounce when they did some advertising in Oct. 2010, and another bounce from Christmas sales. 2011 sales dropped precipitously.

Expansion 1 (GnK) provided a good lift to sales last year, but this year's Expansion 2 (BNW) has not had a similar effect.

Prediction: A poor second expansion will relegate this title to increasing obscurity. As a CiV modder, this has forced me to reconsider undertaking planned larger projects.

Not really that surprising since Civ5 was pretty stupid when it was shipped.
It has gotten better with the expansions though, but many people probably just gave up on it after playing Vanilla version.

Lets hope Civ6 is better and not as dumbed down.

Top Bottom