1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Current state of multiplayer

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by KrugSmash, Jun 17, 2011.

1. KrugSmash

KrugSmash Warlord

I finally convinced my roommate to buy civ 4, thanks to a steam sale, and am now steadily pressuring him into RifE. I haven't kept up with bug fixes to multiplayer, so I'd just like to ask, is it mostly fixed? Any civilizations or game options that should be avoided? All the modules work ok?

2. Aoleleb

Aoleleb Warlord

Last I heard, ranged attacks still cause an OOS, so the AI will screw you over with that.

3. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

IIRC, it's only specific ranged attacks, so not quite as common as it once was.

4. KrugSmash

KrugSmash Warlord

Can you elaborate at all?

5. arcticnightwolf

arcticnightwolf Emperor

though, i wouldn't recommend rife for MP, right now ... Tholal's Naval AI mod would be probably better, because of AI improvements and because it's faster than RifE ...

but that's just my humble opinion :D

6. Verdian

Verdian King

So is there any way to turn off ranged attacks? It would be nice to be able to play multiplayer. I know Orbis offered the option.

7. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Short of mods, no. Nor will we add one; Ranged combat is a central part of the mod, and none of us are big on making everything optional (ultimately, some things MUST be required, as they are mechanics we try to balance around!).

8. CurseUppl

CurseUppl The bureaucracy expands.

Game is playable up until 3-400 turns when the randomly reoccurring OOS stop being randomly reoccurring and then happen every turn.

AI isn't too big on ranged attacks, but the barbarians are. If you turn off savages it helps a great deal, but ultimately leads to a more boring experience.

Regardless, you won't be able to finish a game :(

9. KrugSmash

KrugSmash Warlord

Were you playing solo or as a team?

I did some reading on the orbis forums, and the reason attributed to OOS errors was when one player could see a ranged attack, but the other could not, meaning that the error was mostly non-existant when you played as a team.

My roommate has had a busy week, but I hope to test it out sometime soon.

10. Korac

Korac Chieftain

Casting the Dural world spell seems to cause OOS errors. We've played one game without the Dural and had few OOS errors.

11. CurseUppl

CurseUppl The bureaucracy expands.

Wasn't playing team games. Interesting if it works, but I doubt it fixes the game breaking OOS that occurs in late game, the one that can't be fixed no matter how many times your reload.