Custom Music for CIV4

DiMarzio

Chieftain
Hi, please move this to correct subforum, if not in the right one.

I've been playing CIV4 for so long time that I've got bored of all the in-game musics. I feel I could really hum all the tunes backwards, even the medieval chants with all those uncatchy melodies. And I don't think I'm the only one. So usually I just listen to what I'd usually would, but somehow, I just don't feel right raising my empire from humble beginnings to glorious highness and smiting my enemies with our god's/gods' holy hammer, while listening to hard rock or heavy metal.

So one time, when playing the 1000AD scenario, I used to search for a composer from the year I was currently playing at and play something on YouTube etc. I have to say that was a really immersive and different playing session, I loved it. And I really learned something about the evolution of Western classical music. Of course, problems were:
1. I had to Alt+Tab every 3-20 minutes to go find a new composer (Wikipedia had some fine lists and timelines though) and composition. That task got even more tedious the time went on, as the turns got longer while representing shorter time frame.
2. The classical music/Western art music is really Eurocentric.
3. It needed Internet connection (At that time we had to share one working Ethernet port.)
4. Some compositions/composers just didn't fit the game. It was all trial and error.
5. The practice of notation and has begun in the Middle Ages, so any REAL music older than that are impossible to find. The oldest _art_ music is from that period also.
6. This really requires a love to classical music, which mostly wasn't a problem for me.

So I've decided to start collecting some musical pieces and put them into the game folders so they would play automatically in-game. I'm going to search for those composers of different eras and try to throw in some ethnic pieces as well. But I've a few questions:

A)Can I just put them into "CIV4Base Game Folder"\Assets\Sounds\Soundtrack\"Era"? Does the game play automatically all the files in there? I've found that there's no folder for Classical Era as some of those musics are in Warlords/Assets/Sounds/Soundtrack. What about that era?

B)Do they have to be mp3? Any other restrictions?

C)Do you have any suggestions for music in the Ancient, Classical and Future eras? The Ancient and Classical eras have to consist almost entirely of ethnic music, or just some random fitting music, but I have no idea where to find such music. I'd like to leave John Adams for Modern Era, and I don't know, maybe put some ultra modern art music, jazz, or ambient/dark ambient for Future Era.

D)Would it be actually possible for the game to play the music dependent on the civ being played? It would be really cool to hear some Asian music while playing as China, or Middle Eastern music as Persia etc. Would I have to make a mod for that?

E)Also, would anybody else be interested in this project? If so, I could probably release the list of the new musics, once I've done my research. Of course I couldn't release the music itself, but one has many ways to find the original source material...

I made my own custom soundtrack that uses the Empire Earth soundtrack, if you're familiar with the game. I believe that soundtrack is fitting for all eras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diUIK_qEhqQ

Specifically, I like the doodle god soundtrack in ancient times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nja9fEjOh8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGV3jykvRQk

For the Renaissance period, I like the AoEIII soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG_icPmBSGg

And of course, Vangelis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYeDsa4Tw0c

If I'm playing RFC as Arabia, I will use this soundtrack; It's very Arabian:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJeBA0V0cmU&list=PL5A0F4E415756570D

Stuff I'm planning to drop in my era music folders (assuming this works, I see no confirmation above) when I've got a working computer again:

Ancient:
- The Brazilian metal band, Soulfly, did a bunch of tracks (all titled Soulfly) on traditional instruments.
- A recording of The Internationale in Tuvanese throatsong.
- Mountains theme from Terranigma for the SNES

Classical:
- 'The Battle' from Gladiator soundtrack
- Eastern Palace theme from Zelda 3

Medieval:
- Various operatic metal - Epica, Kamelot
- traditional instrument remixes of Dhalsim and Ryu's themes from Street Fighter 2
- Himalaya theme from Terranigma
- remix of Hyrule theme from Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Renaissance:
- Europe theme from Terranigma

Industrial:
- Canon in D Major
- Ode to Joy
- 1812 Overture
- Various Internationale recordings
- Freedom theme from Terranigma

Modern:
- 'War Pigs', 'Iron Man' by Black Sabbath
- Various Chuck Berry, Clash
- Holst's Planets
- Bomb run theme from Doctor Strangelove
- Remix of Capital theme from SNES Sim City
- 'Shut 'em Down' and 'Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos' by Public Enemy
- Ride of the Valkyries
- Remix of Zangief's theme from Street Fighter 2

Future:
- Batman theme
- Terminator 2 theme
- instrumentals from The Transformers: The Movie
- Various Nine Inch Nails, Crystal Castles
- Blue Monday by New Order
- traditional Japanese instrumental of 'Telephone' by Lady Gaga
- Block Rocking Beats by the Chemical Brothers
- Charlie's theme from X-men versus Street Fighter
- Guile's and Ken's themes from SF2
- Boomer Kuwanger theme from Megaman X
- Remix of Lower Norfair theme from Metroid 3
- Remix of Metropolis theme from SNES Sim City
- Science Lab theme from Terranigma

I just had a look into Options, and noticed something which may be relevant here.

In Options -> Audio there is something called "Custom Music Folder". Maybe you can add mp3s to a folder, set it in here, and it will play? I've no idea. Wouldn't take eras into account, or civs, but at least custom music might play.

Edit: Of course I had to test it too...

It works!! :D Simply selected a folder with some of my music, and bam, the thing was playing. So you can smack all your music in a folder, set it in-game, and it should play. Don't know if it's random or tune by tune, but it does indeed work! :)

I just had a look into Options, and noticed something which may be relevant here.

In Options -> Audio there is something called "Custom Music Folder". Maybe you can add mp3s to a folder, set it in here, and it will play? I've no idea. Wouldn't take eras into account, or civs, but at least custom music might play.

Edit: Of course I had to test it too...

It works!! :D Simply selected a folder with some of my music, and bam, the thing was playing. So you can smack all your music in a folder, set it in-game, and it should play. Don't know if it's random or tune by tune, but it does indeed work! :)
I used to use this quite a lot, until I discovered a weird bug when I assigned a folder with some non-standard characters in the name and the whole audio tab disappeared from my options menu. Couldn't get it back visible to change the folder, or any other audio options, until I re-installed the game. This was at the time before Warlords or BtS though, so I had to test it again now (at the risk of having to reinstall if test fails) and it seems this bug is no more! So this option seems safe to use! :)

Cool! Can you surely hear all the effect soundtrack too? I mean, for example, if I click worker shall he shout through "the trooper" or is there just the music?

Assigning a custom music folder doesn't affect the sound effects - yes you can hear them.

Assigning a custom music folder doesn't affect the sound effects - yes you can hear them.

Great!! That's exactly what I wanted! Thanks for the quick answer :worship:!

Yeah, I just don't play with the original soundtrack anymore, even if it disregards eras. I always use a custom music folder.

Top Bottom