[C3C] Custom Space Race victory

Cimbri

Deity
Hi guys,

I know there has been some experiments in other scenarios using Space Race victory, but I have never contemplated using it before now. My intention is to use it as a Victory Condition for a few specific factions in my scenario (I have already figured out how), but have anyone had any experience editing both the victory video and the individual parts, if less than 10 are used?

I am thinking 5 parts (in this game "Titles"), that need to be acquired (built) to win

• King of Macedon
  • Lord of Greece
  • Lord of Asia
  • Great King of Persia
  • Pharaoh of Egypt

They can only be built in specific cities, so you'll have to conquer a few key cities if you want to claim to be as grandiose as Alexander the Great.

Below: the gorgeous scenario that desperately needs a unique victory condition for the Hellenistic kings, so I can have both Conquest, Wonder, and Space Race victories.

Anabasis_screenshot_01.jpg

Both @Civinator's CCM and @Balthasar's "Time Machine" represent successful total-conversion mods of the Firaxis Space-race VC.

The Time Machine was originally created for Balthasar's Steampunk Scenario collaboration, which you should be able to locate the threads for via Google, even if not CFC's own search-function. @Theov borrowed it to use in his epic-game mod as well.

AFAIK, you can easily modify the number of 'Spaceship' parts needed to win. At least, the Firaxis Editor has a box entitled "Spaceship" under the "General Settings" tab, including a fill-in box where the number of ship-parts required can be altered.

Last edited:
btw, if you have less than 10 spaceship parts, the spaceship menu button in the bottom right will not appear. The victory will still function however.

Last edited:
btw, if you have less than 10 spaceship parts, the spaceship menu button in the bottom right will not appear. The victory will still function however.

Ah yes, I just found that out. As soon as you build the last part (part five) it goes directly to the spaceship VC cut-scene and then the victory screen. There is no option to launch. That is not really a problem, but it makes it harder to track progress ingame.

Both @Civinator's CCM and @Balthasar's "Time Machine" represent successful total-conversion mods of the Firaxis Space-race VC.

The Time Machine was originally created for Balthasar's Steampunk Scenario collaboration, which you should be able to locate the threads for via Google, even if not CFC's own search-function. @Theov borrowed it to use in his epic-game mod as well.

AFAIK, you can easily modify the number of 'Spaceship' parts needed to win. At least, the Firaxis Editor has a box entitled "Spaceship" under the "General Settings" tab, including a fill-in box where the number of ship-parts required can be altered.

Thanks! I am looking in to those scenarios for inspiration.

Hi Cimbri. I wrote in my advanced Civ 3 modding tutorial about different 'space victory' settings in Civ 3. So in German, I think the images there are self explaining (and there exists the Google translator). You can find it here: https://www.civforum.de/showthread....Modding-Ecke&p=2516437&viewfull=1#post2516437

Especially ronning´s 'space victory' about restoring the Holy Roman Empire in my eyes is very spectacular and can become interesting for other historical mods/scenarios, too. Other modded space victories are in the mod Worldwide and the scenarios MEM, AoI and Anno Domini.

Until now I´m not aware, if the space victory can use different graphics for different civs, but I will test it this month for the next version of the scenario SOE.

Last edited:
Cimbri... I made a custom Space Race for The Hegemon Scenario if you want to check it out.
That is an awesome scenario, by the way. But yeah, I guess I'll just have to accept that it is impossible to record any SR progress if less than 10 parts are in the game.

IIRC it is possible to make "dummy" parts. They can be instant builds with zero or very low cost. You can have graphics for them that consist of only the invisible background - the magenta color used in standard graphics files. So they won't affect what appears on the space race screen in-game.

When I was working with Balthasar & King Arthur on the Space Race for the steampunk project this is what I found out about the limitations of designing the screen graphics:

TL-DR

Guidelines for Space Race Screen Design
  • We have freedom to use the whole screen - borders not needed
  • We can use any background image we like
  • We can change the button graphics - even eliminate them
  • We can change the text
  • We can change the parts positions from what Firaxis used
  • We cannot change the location or color of the texts

How I worked out those guidelines:
Spoiler :

Here is a comparison of the backgrounds from Firaxis, a blank, Lord of the Mods, Rise & Fall of the Roman Empire, The Ancient Mediterranean, and The East Asia mods. Shows that there is a lot of freedom in the background that can be used. RFRE & LOTM, & EA have a screen in the art folder, but the victory is not enabled in the mod itself.

My apologies - the graphic can be a bit difficult to read. Basically it's just a comparison of what areas on the screen are used in each version of the space race. Everything annotated in it is summed up in the bullet-point list.

I took screen shots in-game. Each shot was taken the same as the Firaxis - with the last-built component clicked & shown in-situ. Then I did an overlay with relevant elements boxed in identifying colors from each of the following mods:
Red - Firaxis
Yellow - Alexander's Conquests
Blue - The Ancient Mediterranean
Lt. Blue - Warhammer
Green - Lord of the Mods​

What I learned:
  • The beige border need not be the boundary - both Firaxis & Alexander's Conquests have elements that extend into the frame.
  • The button graphic varies
  • The launch button graphic is not used by Warhammer - it is clicking on the text that initiates the action anyway
  • Associated text can be changed
  • The location of the component part(s) varies - confirmed by looking at the component graphic itself. The component is isolated on a magenta graphic the same size as the screen background.
  • The parts list text appear in identical locations on every implemented screen
  • There is no variation from the blue color of the list text used by Firaxis

If anyone has practical experience with something functioning differently than I understand it please jump in.

Top Bottom