Customizing Vanilla Civs

Hashishim

Prince
I simplified my problem, by just doing one city name change, and a civilization description change.

The XML is below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- Sid Meier's Civilization V -->
<!-- Copyright Firaxis Games 2010 -->
<!-- -->
<GameData>
<Language_en_US>
<Update>
<Where Tag=" TXT_KEY_CIV_EGYPT_DESC" />
<Set Text="Arab Republic of Egypt"/>
</Update>
<Update>
<Where Tag="TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_THEBES" />
<Set Text="Cairo" />
</Update>
</Language_en_US>
</GameData>

That is the xml file and as you can see i want to change the description of Egypt. And i found it easier and made sense to instead of using thebes to use Cairo as a city name for egypts capital. The above since the tag is already made and all that needs to be changed is basically the written part that you'll see in-game.

I used Kaels Mod Guide and followed it step by step, and followed it for modbuddy as well. The Mod shows my modbrowser. And when click on single-player and start the game the changes are not there.

Where am i going wrong and how can i make it work? help please:)

You've got a space after the first " when trying to set "Arab Republic of Egypt" as the name, so it isn't matching that text string with the existing one. It should work fine if you take that space out.

If the Cairo change isn't working either then you might have forgotten to tell it to update the database in ModBuddy. If you go into your project properties and go to the 'Actions' tab you should have a row that has: OnModActivated, UpdateDatabase, filename.xml. (Without the commas) Then build it and it should all work.

It did strike me as unusual that Cairo wasn't the capital of Egypt. :)

:D thanks, it works i feel stupid for not noticing what i did wrong so simple yet so devastating :p thanks by the way again. And if you interested, my mod going to kinda modernize the cities and city states to modern names and scenarios. Like my other CIV IV mod Clash of Civilizations. Just waiting until can make proper 3D animated leaderheads so that can port most of the civz from there into here:)

one more question, the city order i.e. when they formed how do I adjust it so it chooses the right cities to form first. For e.g. For Arabia Civilization the vanilla city order is Mecca, Medina, Damascas, Baghdad.

Now i want to make it Mecca, Medina, Jeddah, Damascas, Amman etc. Any idea how do i adjust it?

Modernizing the cities and city states sounds pretty cool; there are some unusual choices in the existing Civs setup. I've heard about a lot of difficulties making 3D leaderheads, but art and graphics aren't really my area.

I believe the city order is controlled by the <ID> field, which increments automatically. (ID 1 is the first city, ID 2 the second, etc.) I think if you Update the existing ID fields for the existing cities you want to come later to a higher number, then manually set the ID of the city you want to insert. Just make sure you don't end up with two cities with the same ID number. And I'm totally not sure if that should work, I haven't tried it before.

Top Bottom