Darryl Still, publishing director for 1C comments on retail vs digital distribution

Maniacal

the green Napoleon
http://www.mcvuk.com/features/808/OPINION-Retail-vs-Steam

Darryl Still, international publishing director for PC publisher 1C, offers an alternative view

I have read with interest the article ‘Retailers blow off Steam’, as the topic is one I have been focussed on for some time now.

Three years ago, I requested of that the 1C management team negotiate and retain the digital rights to all our titles, even when we sell on the boxed rights to other publishing houses. They agreed and for the last two years this decision has born major dividends for 1C.

The reasons behind the decision were numerous, but one of the large driving factors was the fact that in the English speaking territories – especially in the UK and USA – we saw a massive decline in the way the PC market was being supported by the bricks and mortar retailers.

Shelf space was being reduced on an almost monthly basis in favour of the latest twitch kids console title and it was becoming more and more difficult to get titles listed in any depth – even when those titles were securing review scores of over 80 per cent.

It’s not surprising that PC gamers turned to different methods of distribution, and Steam filled that need perfectly. Not just providing a well stocked distribution platform, but a whole social network for enthusiast gamers who were not getting supported elsewhere as their hobby went mainstream.

HIGH STREET OUTRAGE

What is more surprising is the reaction of retail now. I have read it described as the reaction of a small child who threw his toy away because he no longer wanted it, but started screaming as soon as another child picked it up to play with. The metaphor works perfectly, especially in the light of the excuse I heard on numerous occasions.

‘There is no demand’ went the mantra. But is this really true? Not in our experience.

I remember fondly the meeting in my office with a red-faced publisher who was explaining why their initial order from a major retailer for one of our new releases was just 30 units. At the time I had my browser open on the Steam product data page, which updates sales numbers every few minutes.

“They have taken one unit for each of their top 30 stores” he told me. “There is just no demand from their customers”.

I glanced at my screen, hit refresh and advised him: “In the time it’s taken you to tell me that there is no demand, Steam has sold 45 units”.

Steam is selling decent numbers of our titles. They are really cool to work with, have a refreshing, knowledgeable developer mentality, and never bully or threaten their suppliers.

And for a company such as ours, there is much more to it than that. There is the financial model, which is so often overlooked.

Since 1997, when 1C’s gaming division was founded, the company worked on a model whereby a title developed and sold by 1C in Russia was then sub-licensed to our great publishing partners.

As a generalisation, retail would pay these guys a maximum of 40 per cent of what they made. So on a £29.99 game the publisher would receive about £12 (and on a sub-licensed deal, we would then only get about £4.25 of that) – minus return, write down and consignment costs.

When would we get that money? Well, payment would be by the end of the quarter.

So, let’s say £10 per unit sale goes to the publisher, £3 to the developer/sub-licensor, and it’s in your bank five months after the customer has paid out £30.

Compare that to the digital model. On a £29.99 sale, the digital partner will pay the publisher – or in many cases direct to the developer – between 60 and 70 per cent, by the end of the month following the sale.

Wow. To recap: on a sale over the counter today, we can have our £3 by the end of March, or on a digital sale, we can have £20 by Christmas.

Remind me why we should choose to go with retail and decline to let Steam sell the game?

DIGITAL DIVERSITY

Whilst the specific MCV story referred to Steam, there are a large number of other digital partners. 1C deals with 26 of them, who report and pay monthly sales varying between hundred and tens of thousands.
Steam may be very dominant, but I do believe there is room for innovative and creative partners like GamersGate, Impulse/Stardock, Direct2Drive, GreenMan Gaming and GetGamesGo/Eurogamer to find a customer base who prefer their particular offerings.

Unlike at retail, the dominant players in the digital market do not get, nor do they ever ask for, better terms than the other players.

So what else, apart from better support, better sales, no inventory, no returns and much better payment terms, have the Romans ever done for us?

Another advantage is the ability to boost sales with promotional prices – and you’ll often see an additional sales upturn after returning to the full price.

For example, if you run a game of the week promotion, you can sell maybe 20,000 units of your title in that period.

You now have 20,000 new users enthusing about your game, which even when the title returns to full price, causes a very obvious knock on effect that can happily double your sales.

This creative working of pricing, promotions and catalogue is something I am convinced retail can learn and benefit from. It frustrates me greatly that once a game is six weeks old, it is written off and consigned to the bargain bins, never to rise again. We have a 10-year-old simulator title that still sells regularly on digital platforms.

This brings me to a quick recommendation. The Long Tail by Chris Anderson is an essential read for anyone who wants to understand the differentials and opportunities offered by the digital platform.

In the book, Anderson talks about one outlet that turn 90 per cent of their titles only once a month – but as they stock two million titles that once a month equates to 1.8m sales.

Retail has just delivered $360m sales on first day for Black Ops. Those are impressive numbers. Will they really not stock Black Ops 2 next Christmas if it has Steam features included on the PC SKU?

Add those numbers to the sales, longevity and depth that digital can offer, and surely we have a decent market model that can work alongside each other without the need for threat and recrimination?

Steam is here to stay. Retailers needs to communicate and work with publishers, rather than dictate and pontificate to ensure the same can be said for them.

Interesting to finally hear it from the publisher's point of view and I am glad they are annoyed and aware of the abuse retailers have committed to PC games.

Standing ovation.

He is so right. I saw the decline of PC game support in retail store first hand. I used to always favor getting a hard copy of a game but a few things made me stop:

1) Between 2006 and 2009, the shelves dedicated to PC games in my 3 favorite game stores diminished insultingly. It used to be a prominent shelf in a nice part of the store; now it's a "hidden under the clerk's chair" half-arse selection of useless "Deer Hunter 32" with a bunch of used copies of NHL 2005 plus World of Warcraft and the latest shiny console adaptations (will have no problem finding a PC version of games also released on consoles). The worst part is that among the stores that are around me, the store that still does its best with PC games and has the largest selection is... WAL-MART! ebgames and gamestop fell below Wal-Mart in terms of what they offer as PC games.

2) The "I bought it for life" feeling has been dead for many years because of DRM and authentication. I don't see the point of buying material versions of games if, if I want to install it in 2020, I still have to go through authentication and who knows if that version of the game will still be able to do it. I probably have more chances playing it in 2020 by paying 2$ to a gog.com style service.

3) The most ******ed thing is that the PC games that game stores DO keep in stock are those that have this exact DRM style stuff. Great combo there guys.

While I agree to an extent, I still prefer a hard copy.

The way I work this? eBay!

Its possible to access almost any game, cheaper than in any store.. an while I might have to wait a few days, I have a hard copy for life!

Better yet, once bored, I can sell it on.. all your digital purchases are dead in the water.

Videogame Stores have killed it themselves, i've seen over the last 10 years how the PC section has been promoted less and less, given less space, moved to the back.. to the point of in most places disappearing.

I keep my games anyways, as I may want to play them again (and indeed usually do) despite linearity. I also collect them for myself, I'm probably never really going to play my copy of Sim City 2000 I picked up for $20 earlier this year.

I don't get the "collector" feeling for videogames as I do with my vinyl music albums collection. Especially since, again, many of these hard copies of videogames are tied to authentication servers anyway and will die out down the line. I don't anticipate this meaning games will be unplayable, probably that they will still be available really cheap through outlets like gog.com like I said. But yeah, videogames collection? ... Yeah for stuff like nintendo cartridges and whatnot I guess...

http://www.mcvuk.com/features/808/OPINION-Retail-vs-Steam

Interesting to finally hear it from the publisher's point of view and I am glad they are annoyed and aware of the abuse retailers have committed to PC games.

You're very right to bold the part that PC games were on the decline in stores.

There's one flaw in that the article suggests that Steam's model is the only way to deliver online content or non-brick and mortar. There's many alternatives---e.g. GoG, Direct2Drive, GoGamer delivery to the door, Netflix (if/when they do PC games in the mail). There's also still the shareware system that still technically persists.

Nowadays though, a trip to Bestbuy shows lots of PC games on the shelf. About as much as any system. Was just there and saw gobs of Space Empires V in the bargain bin for $10 each.

I've gone both ways, and I'd say hard-copy is generally the way to go for any programover a 1 GB. It might cost a bit more, at least for a physical disk and at least a mailer. Until they do away with registry files, etc.. I prefer to have a hardcopy in a cd wallet. I think distributors take too much for granted to assume gamers want to download gigs of software through the internet rather than just install a few DVDs, much less pay for a regular $50 high end internet connection.

There's one flaw in that the article suggests that Steam's model is the only way to deliver online content or non-brick and mortar. There's many alternatives---e.g. GoG, Direct2Drive, GoGamer delivery to the door, Netflix (if/when they do PC games in the mail). There's also still the shareware system that still technically persists.
article said:
Whilst the specific MCV story referred to Steam, there are a large number of other digital partners. 1C deals with 26 of them, who report and pay monthly sales varying between hundred and tens of thousands.
Steam may be very dominant, but I do believe there is room for innovative and creative partners like GamersGate, Impulse/Stardock, Direct2Drive, GreenMan Gaming and GetGamesGo/Eurogamer to find a customer base who prefer their particular offerings.

Unlike at retail, the dominant players in the digital market do not get, nor do they ever ask for, better terms than the other players.
:crazyeye:

I think distributors take too much for granted to assume gamers want to download gigs of software through the internet rather than just install a few DVDs, much less pay for a regular $50 high end internet connection.

Very good point. Where I live the ISP is great except that it has a low monthly download cap. Well, at a decent price (less than 50$) all you get is 30 gigs of transfer. With two geeks in the house and Steam downloading 10 gigs games, this is obviously not enough. I have to pay over 70$ to get 100 gigs of transfer and we still get penalized harshly for going over that.

Digital distribution is great but in many areas around the world ISPs are proving to be a slowing factor with their caps. I mean, there isn't only games to be digitally distributed, movies and music is also part of that.

The worst part is that ISPs often advertise their SPEED. Frankly, I don't care so much about speed. I get really high speeds (close to 10 megs per second lately) but honestly I wouldn't be that much more sad if I had to go back to 1-2 megs per second but in exchange have unlimited transfer limits...

Speed is useless when you can't use it very much, yet the common folk doesn't seem to understand that so ISPs only advertise their speed.

Very good point. Where I live the ISP is great except that it has a low monthly download cap. Well, at a decent price (less than 50$) all you get is 30 gigs of transfer. With two geeks in the house and Steam downloading 10 gigs games, this is obviously not enough. I have to pay over 70$ to get 100 gigs of transfer and we still get penalized harshly for going over that.
Yes and what is the problem? I had to pay ~$73 a month for cable with a 120something cap and basic digital phone, and we never did go over the cap even with 4 geeks and one non-geek in the same house :p

Digital distribution is great but in many areas around the world ISPs are proving to be a slowing factor with their caps. I mean, there isn't only games to be digitally distributed, movies and music is also part of that.
Netflix users are running into this problem a lot, the internet infrastructure in NA is outdated and badly in need of updating.

The worst part is that ISPs often advertise their SPEED. Frankly, I don't care so much about speed. I get really high speeds (close to 10 megs per second lately)
What the hell Simon!? I've only ever gotten 1.1 MB/S :(

but honestly I wouldn't be that much more sad if I had to go back to 1-2 megs per second but in exchange have unlimited transfer limits...
Agreed, 1 MB/S isn't that bad (though faster would be nice, but I had dial up as little as 5 years ago).

Yes and what is the problem? I had to pay ~$73 a month for cable with a 120something cap and basic digital phone, and we never did go over the cap even with 4 geeks and one non-geek in the same house :p

Over 70$ is starting to be quite a lot if you compare to the average joe's internet bill. Especially since we don't have phone like you do. But considering the price of telecom in Canada well uh I shouldn't be surprised... Anyway, we do have to watch our usage, like right now, we have 3 days to go with about 5-10 gigs left... Thanks to you and your making-me-buy-stuff-like-metro 2033 ;)

What the hell Simon!? I've only ever gotten 1.1 MB/S :(

I know it's awesome, it's one of the things I'll miss when I leave the big city if that happens anytime soon. I bought Metro 2033 and was playing within like half an hour.

Top Bottom